Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

The generational dynamic here is pretty interesting. You have a bunch of 20-something fans (and younger) who are going craaaazy over a playoff berth. And that's great, don't get me wrong. But then you have a lot of older fans who are thrilled, obviously, but some must be rolling their eyes just a little at the reaction. We remember 20 or 21 playoff games in about a 10-year span.

I’m old. I’m thrilled. My eyes aren’t rolling, they’re wide with glee!

If Brady just sabotaged the future of the Pats, that would be the most beautiful story of NFL justice...

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats draft a QB this year or alternatively, there is no guarantee Garoppolo resigns with the 49ers. 

Edited by Gramps

Sean the Wrestler

McJesus

Jauron Part Deux ....

Chirp, chirp, chirp, cricket, chirp ... me thinks the Bills stepped on some snide and miserable narratives, if only for a day. I’ll take the sun when it shines.

Process - 1, Cynicism - 0

Go Bills!

Interesting. Wickersham certainly seems to have it out for the Patriots.

If Brady just sabotaged the future of the Pats, that would be the most beautiful story of NFL justice...

We'd all love to see that happen, but I don't expect a stranger-than-fiction story-line like that to play out.

I would love for Bob Kraft to completely ruin everything he lucked into with the Patriots. Fire Bill, Brady retires, and the Pats suck until the end of time.

Same with this. My sense is that the report is based in some truth, but largely over-blown.

Belichick really did have a difficult situation to resolve with Garappolo. He must have presumed that the young guy was poised to take over for Brady -- that Brady would retire. But then Brady didn't. And Garrapolo looked good -- maybe great. I'm sure Kraft had a hand in making the decision too.

In any case, my bet is that this story helps fuel the Patriots to yet another Superbowl victory. Maybe after that Brady calls it quits.

My money remains on Brady retiring before Belichick does. The latter, I think, wants to prove that he can do it without Brady.

We'd all love to see that happen, but I don't expect a stranger-than-fiction story-line like that to play out.

Same with this. My sense is that the report is based in some truth, but largely over-blown.

Belichick really did have a difficult situation to resolve with Garappolo. He must have presumed that the young guy was poised to take over for Brady -- that Brady would retire. But then Brady didn't. And Garrapolo looked good -- maybe great. I'm sure Kraft had a hand in making the decision too.

In any case, my bet is that this story helps fuel the Patriots to yet another Superbowl victory. Maybe after that Brady calls it quits.

My money remains on Brady retiring before Belichick does. The latter, I think, wants to prove that he can do it without Brady.

Who's gonna stop them if Brady and Gronk are healthy ? The only team I think that has a chance are the Saints in the big one.

I want the Patriots to be so bad that Kraft sells them to Bon Jovi and he moves them to London...England. 

True, Brady could get food poisoning from a bad bowl of quinoa, Gronk might hit his head on a door frame and we might beat the Jags.

The 2011 9-7 Giants, who lost to the 5-12 Redskins twice, were able to win the Super Bowl over the Patriots. If they were able to do it, why can't another so so team win a Super Bowl? Anything can happen on the field.....especially in the playoffs.

Edited by GoPre

Didn't read the ESPN article, if this was covered, ooops.

The rumors going around earlier this year, when Garappolo was traded was that Belichick wanted to keep Jimmy & trade Brady (presumably in the coming off-season). Kraft overruled that & since Jimmy's a FA that they weren't going to franchise tag (not if they're keeping 12 they certainly wouldn't) they got what they could for him at that time.

The rumor passes the plausibility test. Belicheat dumped Bledsoe in a similar situation & had been offered a 1st for Jimmy from the Browns that had been turned down around the draft. Something changed if a 1st wasn't good enough but mid-season a 2nd was good enough. The plan on who to have behind center next year changing could certainly have affected what they considered "fair market" value.

Really don't see Brady leaving except due to injury for at least another 3 years. Assuming there's no fire associated w/ his trainer's shenanigans, of course. ;)

Surprisingly a very good article

And Brady is famously unhelpful toward his backups -- or, at least, a threat like Garoppolo. The two quarterbacks were friendly, but Brady -- like Joe Montana to Steve Young and Brett Favre to Aaron Rodgers -- didn't see it as his role to advise Garoppolo, even on matters as trivial as footwork, as nobody had helped him during his climb. Garoppolo played well in 2016, starting in place of the suspended Brady, and Belichick began to see Garoppolo as the final piece of his legacy, to walk away in a few years with the Patriots secure at quarterback. But after Garoppolo was knocked out of his second start because of a shoulder injury, he set up a visit at TB12. As he later told Patriots staffers, when he arrived, the door was locked. He knocked; nobody was there. He called TB12 trainers but nobody answered. He couldn't believe it, Garoppolo told the staffers, and that night ended up visiting team trainers instead. Guerrero vehemently denies ever refusing to see any player, and Garoppolo was eventually treated at TB12 -- but it was two weeks after he showed up for his original appointment, and only after a high-ranking Patriots staffer called TB12 to inquire why Garoppolo hadn't been admitted.[/size]

[/size]

Edited by Jokertecken

Didn't read the ESPN article, if this was covered, ooops.

The rumors going around earlier this year, when Garappolo was traded was that Belichick wanted to keep Jimmy & trade Brady (presumably in the coming off-season). Kraft overruled that & since Jimmy's a FA that they weren't going to franchise tag (not if they're keeping 12 they certainly wouldn't) they got what they could for him at that time.

The rumor passes the plausibility test. Belicheat dumped Bledsoe in a similar situation & had been offered a 1st for Jimmy from the Browns that had been turned down around the draft. Something changed if a 1st wasn't good enough but mid-season a 2nd was good enough. The plan on who to have behind center next year changing could certainly have affected what they considered "fair market" value.

Really don't see Brady leaving except due to injury for at least another 3 years. Assuming there's no fire associated w/ his trainer's shenanigans, of course. ;)

I recall that being reported -- that the 2nd they got from SF was less than the 1st the Browns offered. 

I do think there's a very good chance that the owner intervened on some level and said, in effect, the better football decision may be to move on from Brady, but the better business decision is probably to stick with him.

OTOH, it's been consistently reported that Belichick holds grudges like no other. That would include having one against the Browns. Additionally, it's been reported in connection with Garappolo that he really wanted to see him succeed elsewhere (if it could not be in NE) because that would reflect well on Belichick and his legacy. In that regard, it would make sense that he'd say "no" to the Browns tire fire and instead entrust his prized prospect to a person he trusts (Shanahan in SF, IIRC).

Surprisingly a very good article

I think it's strong to call it a hatchet job (which is what all my Pats fan friends are calling it), but I think it has the whiff of being a bit overdone.

I mean everything in that article fits the narrative we've heard about Brady and Belichick for years about their personality, it fits the personal trainer dilemma, it fits Kraft, it fits the Garappalo trade, it fits the OC and DC leaving this offseason, and it fits a 40 year old QB finally breaking.

IT'S GONNA HAPPEN

I would love for there to be some type of scandal, something so toxic and over the top that the league has no choice but to wipe out the Pats records, and Brady/Kraft/Hoodie are forced to live the rest of their days with a tainted black cloud hanging over them, as the evil seed of what they have done germinates within them.

But more realistically, Brady's going to get ALS in his mid 40s and then we're all going to be forced to feel bad for ever hating him during his brave battle.

Calling it right now: Belichick is leaving the Pats after these playoffs

I would love for there to be some type of scandal, something so toxic and over the top that the league has no choice but to wipe out the Pats records, and Brady/Kraft/Hoodie are forced to live the rest of their days with a tainted black cloud hanging over them, as the evil seed of what they have done germinates within them.

But more realistically, Brady's going to get ALS in his mid 40s and then we're all going to be forced to feel bad for ever hating him during his brave battle.

As much as I want Brady to tear all of his ACL's every season, can't wish ALS on anyone

As much as I want Brady to tear all of his ACL's every season, can't wish ALS on anyone

Oh neither would I, just predicting that something will happen to or come about him that will make everyone feel bad about ever having a negative thought about him.

Sort of like how I want to hate LeBron for being a diva and then I read about how he does these great things for kids with disabilities and is a spokesman for getting kids to stay in school and pursue higher education.

Oh neither would I, just predicting that something will happen to or come about him that will make everyone feel bad about ever having a negative thought about him.

Sort of like how I want to hate LeBron for being a diva and then I read about how he does these great things for kids with disabilities and is a spokesman for getting kids to stay in school and pursue higher education.

I hate LeBron cause he's a try-hard. He has to have everyone love him. Kobe and LeBron would make the game winning shot in your face, and then steal your girl afterwards. LeBron would send you chocolate and roses

I'm not a fan anymore. Maybe I'm back into follower status. So I wasn't rolling my eyes. Nor did I scream, which I think is the test. It didn't move either.

Who's Rod Watson?

And can I roll my eyes at "fans" who swore off the team years ago and went to the graveyard on Monday (make that Sunday) night to weep at their father's tombstone? There are a lot of phony baloneys out there. I feel good for the faithful.

I'm honest anyway.

Rod Watson is the Buffalo News columnist for racial affairs.  He published a column yesterday or the day before about how it's wrong for Buffalonians to feel euphoric about the playoffs while Trump is president, poor people are suffering, nuclear war looms, etc.  I'd link to it, but no.

I appreciate the perspective I usually gain from reading Watson.  But he's just dead wrong here.  Entertainment, including sports, exists (and has existed since we lived in caves) to help us take our minds off of our troubles.  

Rod Watson is the Buffalo News columnist for racial affairs.  He published a column yesterday or the day before about how it's wrong for Buffalonians to feel euphoric about the playoffs while Trump is president, poor people are suffering, nuclear war looms, etc.  I'd link to it, but no.

I appreciate the perspective I usually gain from reading Watson.  But he's just dead wrong here.  Entertainment, including sports, exists (and has existed since we lived in caves) to help us take our minds off of our troubles.  

It's something that I have become increasingly aware of personally over the last year. I just don't have the emotional stamina to be worried about every terrible thing all the time. There's only so much any one person can do. I do what I can for others and try to live my life without spending every day clenching my teeth until my jaw hurts.