Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

The D did get three turnovers and a bobbled catch away from four. And the last one set up the game winning kick. Not sure what else they needed to do.

Not give up 384 passing yards and 27 points.

It's ok for the D to have a bad game and get bailed out once in a while though.

The D did get three turnovers and a bobbled catch away from four. And the last one set up the game winning kick. Not sure what else they needed to do.

What 11 said.

Plus, if the D is getting credit for the non-INT that Hyde nearly had that Evans broke up, does the O get credit for the non-catch by Zay Jones in week 2 that would've given them a great chance of winning that game?

Hopefully the D figures out how to stop the pass minus Gaines & likely Poyer as well. Now that the O put some of the old running game back in the playbook they should be better than the 1st 5 weeks, but can't see them scoring 30 regularly.

I'll say that turnovers are a fickle mistress.

Not give up 384 passing yards and 27 points.

It's ok for the D to have a bad game and get bailed out once in a while though.

Agreed on the initial point, and more than fair with regard to the latter. 

I'd just really like to see the D step up (again) in the next game. If they're down two starters on that back end, that could be a really tall order -- especially given how Carr looked on Thursday.

During the 17-year playoff drought, the Bills have been 4-2 or better after 6 games in 2008 (5-1), 2011 (4-2), and last year (4-2).

I have no reason to believe this incarnation will be any different than previous chokers. Depth is terrible, injuries are beginning to pile up (Matthew, Clay, Humber, Gaines, Poyer), defense is regressing toward mediocrity, and Dennison took a competent offense with an elite running game and turned it into hot garbage.

Call me when they beat Oakland at home and NY Jets Thursday night to get to 6-2. No Bills team this century millennium has gone 6-2 or better after 8 games. That would impress me and start to show that maybe these guys are different.

Fixed! :)

I don't want to completely excuse the D, but Jameis Winston and his weapons (Desean Jackson, Mike Evans, that little speedy RB that I really like, and I guess Howard now) are known for scoring points and getting yards. That is their team identity right now. Our D gave them points and yards, but when the team needed it most, not only did the D stop Tampa, Tre White decided to win the game himself and did. 

How many Bills defenses in the past had reasonable yardage and points allowed all game, and then would let the other team score on the most important drive of the game?

These guys' heads are in the right place. They don't get mentally phased when things go wrong. They just keep going back to work and they do not falter when past Bills defenses would. 

Just based on the names and the lack of depth I expect the numbers to regress a bit, especially with Carr, Brady x2, and the Chiefs in the future, but I still believe in these guys and am proud to be a fan of them. 

The most likable Buffalo sports team since the 05-06 Sabres IMO. 

Also, there was what, one penalty on us all game? Maybe two? 

Sean said they needed to work on that, that it was unacceptable, early in the season. They did. It showed. Our coach coaches.

I don't want to completely excuse the D, but Jameis Winston and his weapons (Desean Jackson, Mike Evans, that little speedy RB that I really like, and I guess Howard now) are known for scoring points and getting yards. That is their team identity right now. Our D gave them points and yards, but when the team needed it most, not only did the D stop Tampa, Tre White decided to win the game himself and did. 

How many Bills defenses in the past had reasonable yardage and points allowed all game, and then would let the other team score on the most important drive of the game?

These guys' heads are in the right place. They don't get mentally phased when things go wrong. They just keep going back to work and they do not falter when past Bills defenses would. 

Just based on the names and the lack of depth I expect the numbers to regress a bit, especially with Carr, Brady x2, and the Chiefs in the future, but I still believe in these guys and am proud to be a fan of them. 

Sean said they needed to work on that, that it was unacceptable, early in the season. They did. It showed. Our coach coaches.

I would say that not only is the defense in the right place, but the offense as well.  It would have been easy for the offense to fold after the two lost FG opportunities at the end of the first half, after Shady's fumble, after having a comfortable lead evaporate into a 7 point deficit late in the game.  But when they needed to execute, the managed to do it.  Rex's Bills would have never won this game, nor the Atlanta game.  The Bills aren't there yet but they're getting close.  As the defense returns to the expected mean the offense seems to be heating up a bit.  I think both sides of the game (and special teams) are seeing that they can depend on their teammates to carry the play when the team meets adversity.  Unlike Rex's teams, they don't quit.

Edited by Doohickie

No question about it. Bills need to go 7-1 at home to really have a shot at the playoffs I think. 

Watching this team is kind of fun, I had it streaming and I tried hard to not get emotionally invested, but after tyrod made that throw after the D gave up that TD I was sucked right back in... It's almost like you just knew shady was gonna score for that mistake he made, the team would have it no other way

Solid win. I wasn't a fan of the McDermott hire but if he can keep this up, he'll win me over. They seem to be getting more lucky bounces and better treatment by the zebras as well. I hope it continues and I hope they fix the clock management issues. Not even being able to attempt a field goal at the end of the first half could have easily costs us a win.

I don't entirely disagree with what you're saying up top: That Tampa offence is loaded and stacked (it's weird that they are 2-4), and they are going to get their yards (and points). That said, there just wasn't enough pressure on the passer (during drop-backs where the line could have gotten there) and those blown coverages for TDs are true head-scratchers. The late fumble recovery was great, obviously, but I've heard and read good insight to the effect that placing performance-value on fumble recoveries is largely a mistake. Fumble recoveries are as much, if not more, a product of luck as they are good play (the forced fumble is, I suspect, a fair barometer of good play -- the recoveries just tend to be randomized). 

It's nice that the Bills have been lucky. They just need to get back to being good (or very good) on D as well.

And yes: The team is so very likable.

As somebody who has deliberately spent the past year and a half not watching the Bills, it sure seems like Tyrod gets a bad rap.

Dude protects the ball and finds a way to win.

Shouldn’t he be the gritty underdog Buffalo usually pretends to identify with?

Or is it a case of a bruised fan base unwilling to embrace anything short of Jesus?

Edited by dudacek

As somebody who has deliberately spent the past year and a half not watching the Bills, it sure seems like Tyrod gets a bad rap.

Dude protects the ball and finds a way to win.

Shouldn’t he be the gritty underdog Buffalo usually pretends to identify with?

Or is it a case of a bruised fan base unwilling to embrace anything short of Jesus?

A bit of both I think... TT is a quintessential underdog who does more with what he has than anyone has a right to expect, but his shortcomings are so painfully obvious that fans wish for more, but scared that they might end up with a Jay Cutler... who the heck knows but the guys plays his butt off. Edited by North Buffalo

I think the distaste many have for TT is mostly attributable to:

- being brought in by previous failed regime

- as QB, being accountable for hugely disappointing failure of prior regime

- inarguable repeated failures to bring team back from 4th-quarter deficits

- poor #nonfancystats ranking of team's passing offense under TT

I don't think the above reasoning is sound, and as I've said before, I'm a fan of TT's, but it's not like the desire to find someone else is from outer space.

In any case, I think TT is winning some people over so far this year.

IMO, part of the reason that Taylor hasn't received a true #BillsMafia backing is because he comes off as aloof and a bit too cool for school -- not a man of the people. 

I'm not saying that's the way he is -- just a matter of how he comes off.

Yeah, he needs to pretend to be blue collar........ like the rest of the city does.

Bring his lunch pail, thermos, and hard hat to work everyday. Maybe jump through a table or something.

Yeah, he needs to pretend to be blue collar........ like the rest of the city does.

Bring his lunch pail, thermos, and hard hat to work everyday. Maybe jump through a table or something.

I'm not saying he needs to do anything. Nor am I suggesting that the convenient narrative of the #bluecollar ethos is accurate.

I am saying that Taylor has a very low-key, quiet manner that can come off as aloof.

I am saying that he has at times deflected personal responsibility for failings that seemed to be his own.

And I am saying that he goes to fashion events in NYC and dresses like this.

post-760-0-62416200-1508792777_thumb.png

I'm not slagging the guy for 2 of those 3 personality traits, but I am saying that he's just not the sort of guy that the Bills rabid fan base will eagerly embrace. And I don't think that fan base has a fixed set of criteria for showing the love -- they've given their hearts to a pretty diverse set of characters over the last 30 years or so.

I'm not saying he needs to do anything. Nor am I suggesting that the convenient narrative of the #bluecollar ethos is accurate.

I am saying that Taylor has a very low-key, quiet manner that can come off as aloof.

I am saying that he has at times deflected personal responsibility for failings that seemed to be his own.

tytaylornyc.PNG

I'm not slagging the guy for 2 of those 3 personality traits, but I am saying that he's just not the sort of guy that the Bills rabid fan base will eagerly embrace. And I don't think that fan base has a fixed set of criteria for showing the love -- they've given their hearts to a pretty diverse set of characters over the last 30 years or so.

I understand what you're saying. I was just poking fun at the whole blue collar mantra.

After all the bums Bills fans have endured in past 2 decades (Rob Johnson, Alex Van Pelt, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick, EJ Manuel, Kyle Orton, etc.) we finally have a decent quarterback and it seems like only 10% of the fan base actually appreciates him.

I wish we had given Kelly Holcomb and Thad Lewis more of a chance. They certainly weren't world beaters by any stretch but they were certainly better than Losman and Manuel. Holcomb in particular could have got us to the playoffs. Even the defense seemed to be much stronger when Holcomb was in and wasn't stuck being on the field 90% of the time dealing with the endless 3 and outs followed by the occasional 80 yard touchdown that put the defense right back on the field.

attachicon.giftytaylornyc.PNG

That's a pretty conservative get up for a fashion event in NYC.

I have liked TT since his first press conference.

What has won me over on TT is seeing what other QBs around the NFL are doing this season, along with objective improvement in his ability to throw in the middle of the field and make decisions. They still aren't franchise-QB level abilities, but I am not interested in moving on from him until a franchise QB takes the roster spot by being a better QB than he is. He is having a very good season considering his own limitations and how far he has come.