Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

Before TSW went down for the software upgrade pretty sure somebody'd said they save ~$3.6 this year & ~$5.6 next year versus having him on the roster. He's off the books after that but that's a lot of dead cap until then.

From ESPN:

The Bills will save $5.73 million off their 2017 salary cap and $2.375 million off their 2018 salary cap. They also shed the 2019 through 2021 years of Dareus' deal at cap numbers of $16.985 million, $16 million and $14.65 million.

From ESPN:

The Bills will save $5.73 million off their 2017 salary cap and $2.375 million off their 2018 salary cap. They also shed the 2019 through 2021 years of Dareus' deal at cap numbers of $16.985 million, $16 million and $14.65 million.

Thank you. Seems like a good move

But yet several internet personas are killing the Bills for this. Complete unawareness of a) how bad hes been b) what an albatross that contract was.

We're saving $5.7 million this season and $2.4 million next season.  I don't think the albatross contract holds much water here, since we're not saving that much. It's highly unlikely that a replacement for $5.7 million and $2.4 million will come close to his talent.  I think it's much more likely that he was traded because of his attitude and off the field issues.  If he's been a cancer in the locker room, that is also a huge factor.

Appreciate the content upthread, but I still don’t understand the practical upshot of this deal’s cap implications.

In any case: I love this deal.

Ahh. Never mind. I get it now.

I think that we don't have to pay him for 4 years now. Now it only hurts 4 two

I read the reports as indicating that the team gains modest amounts by trading him — it’d have cost more to keep him.

It would've, (actual #'s upthread) ~$5.6MM this season & $3MM next year. They now have that money available & 1 less rostered DT.

Next season they'll have $14MM less to spend than a team w/ no dead cap space & a DT slot to fill. Or they could've spent $17MM & had Dareus. Apparently they thought they'll be better off w/ no Dareus & $3MM to spend on something else.

It would've, (actual #'s upthread) ~$5.6MM this season & $3MM next year. They now have that money available & 1 less rostered DT.

Next season they'll have $14MM less to spend than a team w/ no dead cap space & a DT slot to fill. Or they could've spent $17MM & had Dareus. Apparently they thought they'll be better off w/ no Dareus & $3MM to spend on something else.

So, it's less they have to spend, and less they get to spend?

If so, then like I said, we get to try and win with less money. Awesome.

For this year & next, correct.

Just to clarify, the "awesome should have been "awesome". (isn't that the Sarcasm font?)

I don't care about what they have to spend. Something something "drill a well."

I do care, though about what we get to spend, and that sucks.