Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

He's too stupid to realize that the players even being able to protest is why our country is so great.

The politics of it aside, I just can't get my head wrapped around the simultaneous embrace of:

Hey! Freedom isn't free! People DIED for your freedom! FREEEEEEEEEEEDOM! Wooooooooooooooo! USA! USA! USA!

and

Hey, man! Sit down and shut up. Or, I mean, stand up, and put your hand over your heart. DO AS YOU ARE TOLD!

The politics of it aside, I just can't get my head wrapped around the simultaneous embrace of:

Hey! Freedom isn't free! People DIED for your freedom! FREEEEEEEEEEEDOM! Wooooooooooooooo! USA! USA! USA!

and

Hey, man! Sit down and shut up. Or, I mean, stand up, and put your hand over your heart. DO AS YOU ARE TOLD!

Pretend you hate black people. 

Ahhh.

Quite so.

I wish it were that simple. I think in many cases it is. Although a friend of mine from high school, a black woman, who is married to a serviceman, shared a pretty apprehensive post about the protests this weekend as well. So I can't chalk her response up to racism, but I think other factors such as post 9-11 hyper-patriotism and the elevation of servicemen and women to the position of unapologetic idolatry likely has many converts across the color spectrum.

Jerry Hughes on Kelly's statement(s):

"I was very disappointed in him," Hughes said. "I was very disappointed in how he approached the whole situation. Our team came together and we united as a front, as an organization with how we were going to approach the national anthem. If Jim was going to do what he did, then he should have come to the team and let us know his feelings. He should have let us know how he was going to do the national anthem. We didn't know he was going to be there from a team perspective. For him to carry on in this manner, I'm really confused and I'm really upset, because if this is something how he felt and if this is truly what he felt was on his heart, he should have came to the team instead of making this a public matter and doing that on his social page. It was not cool. Very unacceptable. If he has things to say about us as a team, come talk to us." 

"That doesn't sit well with me," Hughes said. "I won't speak for everybody in our locker room. But that doesn't sit well with me at all. Because we came together as a team and we discussed exactly how we were going to approach the national anthem. For him to walk on the sideline and do exactly what he did was unacceptable. If he felt a certain way about a player on this team, come to the team and let's address it."

"Half the time I don't even realize he's there until it was pointed out yesterday after the display of actions that he did, it was pointed out and brought to my attention," Hughes said. "I'm not sure I understand it. We are the 2017 Buffalo Bills. We're focused on the future. We're focused on winning games. If he wants to offer anything of encouragement to our team, to our quarterbacks, to our offense, please provide all of that. We could use all of the encouragement we need to figure out how they won those games and be successful as they were. But we're trying to bring a team together, trying to bring a community together and try to bring a nation together. By dividing us, dividing the team, that doesn't work."

I'm just using his chirping of McCoy -- which, really, just don't -- as a platform to take a fairly gratuitous potshot at Kelly's born-again-ism.

Which isn't really fair, since his conversion may have saved his life before he lost it to drugs and alcohol.

Anyway. Kelly's daughters have a blog on which they have discussed at length their (family's) belief that the theory of evolution is a huge hoax. So, there's that.

I know somebody that went to HS with one of the Kelly daughters, and based on that sample size of 2 I am comfortable deducing how that HS teaches certain aspects of science.

Here in southern california most of my friends (other hockey/school Dads, coaches, etc) are severely pissed at the players and fully back Trump.    

It takes everything I have to not engage them.    They have zero tolerance.   If I said anything our friendships would be ruined permanently even though we'd be forced to hang out at school/hockey functions, etc... so to avoid all that mess I just keep my "unpopular" political opinions to myself.... which sucks... is it complaint Thursday yet?  haha

That said, I admire Jim Kelly, his approach to life and football.    I don't agree with his political opinion, but I don't make that a pre-requisite to friendship like most people these days (and I blame the polarizing media for that).

To point out the obvious, this was never about the anthem or flag.

Now about the Bills. Any shot at beating the Falcons this week?

I was ready to write the Bills off this season, but that win against Denver gave me real hope that this team might be a 500 or better squad by year end.  The defense is excellent.  

I live in the ATL and wasn't going to go the Bills/Falcons game.  However, I'm know thinking of spending the money and taking my family to the game.  I don't think they can beat the Falcons at home, but the defense should keep them in the game. 

I was ready to write the Bills off this season, but that win against Denver gave me real hope that this team might be a 500 or better squad by year end. The defense is excellent.

I live in the ATL and wasn't going to go the Bills/Falcons game. However, I'm know thinking of spending the money and taking my family to the game. I don't think they can beat the Falcons at home, but the defense should keep them in the game.

You should go. If nothing else, to see what your tax dollars paid for. :lol:

I'm just using his chirping of McCoy -- which, really, just don't -- as a platform to take a fairly gratuitous potshot at Kelly's born-again-ism.

Which isn't really fair, since his conversion may have saved his life before he lost it to drugs and alcohol.

Anyway. Kelly's daughters have a blog on which they have discussed at length their (family's) belief that the theory of evolution is a huge hoax. So, there's that.

You're reading a blog from one of his daughters now?  Have you officially graduated from the bush and binoculars in front of Kim Pegula's house?  I can't say that one would be high up there on the list of things I'd be looking to read.  It's probably about one slot ahead of liger's ranking of his favorite cheeses.

I just love the hypocrisy of Jim Kelly, trying to take the "moral high ground" and finishing his pressers with "God bless"

Once upon a time I worked at the Tony Rome's in West Seneca (Now Mooney's) during the year that the Jim Kelly show was hosted in the sports bar.  Pretty much every week a different young lady would head out into his limo with him including one of the waitresses i worked with, I am sure it was just for auto-graphs and Polaroid selfies!

You're reading a blog from one of his daughters now?  Have you officially graduated from the bush and binoculars in front of Kim Pegula's house?  I can't say that one would be high up there on the list of things I'd be looking to read.  It's probably about one slot ahead of liger's ranking of his favorite cheeses.

Sure, I had a look at it after I was linked to it on Twitter. It's a blog authored by both of the daughters -- both of whom are of majority age by now, I should think, for whatever that's worth. 

And I think what's there is worth considering - very much so. Kelly fashions and styles himself as a prominent, leading citizen of WNY and Bills Nation. As such, publicly available information regarding the beliefs he holds and apparently teaches his children is newsworthy, to me.

I've made no secret about the fact that I can, at most, politely abide the cult of personality surrounding Kelly. And I happen to think that the Bills would be better off if he took a step back and kept a lower profile.

Anyone who responds to any criticism of this country with

'Well if you don't like it you can get out!'

is a moron

I was ready to write the Bills off this season, but that win against Denver gave me real hope that this team might be a 500 or better squad by year end.  The defense is excellent.  

I live in the ATL and wasn't going to go the Bills/Falcons game.  However, I'm know thinking of spending the money and taking my family to the game.  I don't think they can beat the Falcons at home, but the defense should keep them in the game. 

I mean it's solid, for sure. But we've played the Jets, a broken Cam Newton, and Trevor Siemian, who's known to be terrible on the road. Let's see what we do this week