Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

As I said, I don't see the point of the differentiating when skills don't work in isolation that way. Also, Brady's release is quicker than Rodgers, at least in his prime. What does it matter if Rodgers can put more "zip" on the ball if he's not reading defences and capitalizing on situations nearly as well as Brady?

Maybe when standing still in the pocket, yea. But Rodgers' release when rolling out, or even moving in the pocket, is lightning.

Peyton Manning is the best QB of all time statistically, and it's really not even close. Tom Brady has had the better career due to the championships, however.

Tom Brady has a higher career QB rating than Manning. So, to the bolded, not really.

Edited by Thorny

Right. Thorny, why don't you want to break down different aspects of play? Hell, we spend seemingly half of our time on this board talking about physical tools and whatnot around draft time.

I just think is a rather funny exercise is this specific instance. Jack Eichel has a better shot than Wayne Gretzky. No one is writing that article though because it's irrelevant.

It's the same with Rodgers and Brady. Brady is so, so, so far beyond Rodgers overall that I always laugh when someone says "Rodgers is a better pure thrower". It's of little consequence.

Which, of course, is the plus/minus of football statistic in terms of value.

Wouldn't go that far.

Especially because, statistically, Brady is much better than Manning in the playoffs. Much greater gap there than Manning's advantage in the regular season.

I just think is a rather funny exercise is this specific instance. Jack Eichel has a better shot than Wayne Gretzky. No one is writing that article though because it's irrelevant.

It's the same with Rodgers and Brady. Brady is so, so, so far beyond Rodgers overall that I always laugh when someone says "Rodgers is a better pure thrower". It's of little consequence.

I think you are drastically overstating the gap between them.

Wouldn't go that far.

Especially because, statistically, Brady is much better than Manning in the playoffs. Much greater gap there than Manning's advantage in the regular season.

I think you're a little hard on your guy here. He's one of the best quarterbacks ever and has a super bowl. 

This conversation, thus, will not go over well with Bills fans :lol: 

I think you are drastically overstating the gap between them.

And I think Rodgers and his one Super Bowl, with inflated stats due to playing the entirety of his career in the flag football passing era, is drastically overrated.

Edited by Thorny

Wouldn't go that far.

In a much smaller sample, with some obscene luck in the special teams and turnover department. Scott Kascmar of Football Outsiders has a few articles on how fortunate Brady has been in many ways in the playoffs. Doesn't take away from his greatness or place in history (at worst, top-3 ever), but it is important context.

Besides, we all know the Pats ramp up their cheating in the playoffs :p

I think you're a little hard on your guy here. He's one of the best quarterbacks ever and has a super bowl.

This conversation, thus, will not go over well with Bills fans :lol:

Brett Favre is my guy.

^At long last my positioning on the matter begins to gain clarity :p

Edited by Thorny

In a much smaller sample, with some obscene luck in the special teams and turnover department. Scott Kascmar of Football Outsiders has a few articles on how fortunate Brady has been in many ways in the playoffs. Doesn't take away from his greatness or place in history (at worst, top-3 ever), but it is important context.

Besides, we all know the Pats ramp up their cheating in the playoffs :p

Not a small sample size where Brady is concerned, at least.

The luck thing is overblown. Sure he could have lost the last two SBs he won, but he EASILY could have won the two against the Giants. It balances out. I won't agree that Rodgers is anywhere close. 5-1. I think Tom is quite easily #1. Other guys that are close in championships don't have the stats, and guys with the stats don't have the championships.

Brett Favre? Now we're talking about someone truly overrated.

3 straight MVPs in an era order of magnitudes more difficult to play in than that of Rodgers. Iron man streak. Amazing season at 40. His 39 TD season at the time was the 2nd most in a season ever. Rodgers never reached that height for single season TDs. Actually loved playing the game.

Don't see how he can be overrated when pretty much everyone says as much.

Not a small sample size where Brady is concerned, at least.

The luck thing is overblown. Sure he could have lost the last two SBs he won, but he EASILY could have won the two against the Giants. It balances out. I won't agree that Rodgers is anywhere close. 5-1. I think Tom is quite easily #1. Other guys that are close in championships don't have the stats, and guys with the stats don't have the championships.

3 straight MVPs in an era order of magnitudes more difficult to play in than that of Rodgers. Iron man streak. Amazing season at 40. His 39 TD season at the time was the 2nd most in a season ever. Rodgers never reached that height for single season TDs. Actually loved playing the game.

Don't see how he can be overrated when pretty much everyone says as much.

And Brady has, for my money, the best coach of all time. IMO there's no way to truly separate the two. I think Brady is more important, of course, but I also think Belichick is farther ahead of his contemporary coaches than Brady is of the other QBs.

Fair point on the Favre/overrated thing :lol:

No commentary on the Von Miller No Fun League penalty call?

I'm glad that one wasn't against us, but man, that was some weak sauce right there.

I view it as making up for their extension of Denver's scoring drive when we "interfered with the receiver" - within 5 yards of the LOS, completely legally. Take away those two goofy calls and the same result happens, each team with 3 less points. 

It was weak for sure, but I saw them give Jerry Hughes an unsportsmanlike penalty for slapping his own teammate on the helmet after a big play because they thought he hit a Pats player, so I can't say I was surprised at all. 

Through three games though, just off the top of my head, the offenses aren't actually that different are they? 

They each had one horrendous game (in Baltimore last year which prompted a firing, and at Carolina this year), one game where they did what they wanted against the Jets (difference was they could stop them this time and the Jets are worse this year) and a game with over 25 points (33 against the Cardinals last year, who were bad, and 26 against a supposed top 2 defense in the game today). 

My money is definitely on this year's team. Though the playcalling is obviously deficient, particularly in the run game. I can't find them now but there were some excellent in-depth breakdowns of blocking schemes last year versus this year, and the conclusion was that we are using things that are far simpler and far less effective this season. We aren't creating any seams for Shady, and that is easy to see because if there's a seam that exists, Shady will hit it.

Bills beat the broncs and the stripes today.

Well, you didn't really expect zebras to show buffalo any love when there're donkeys available to slather affection, did you?

(Still amazed they threw the flag on Miller though. Must've rebuffed one's advances. :))

Edited by Taro T

Through three games though, just off the top of my head, the offenses aren't actually that different are they?

Yeah, the team was awful to start the year under Roman.  If the Bills fire Dennison and get a competent OC like we did last year, that would change things.  This year's defense is playing much better than Rex's team ever has, despite having worse talent on paper, so there is that for sure.  But I never said last year's team would win, just that there is doubt that this year's team is better.  It appears to be the opposite of last year thus far: great defense, terrible offense.

Well, you didn't really expect zebras to show buffalo any love when there're donkeys available to slather affection, did you?

(Still amazed they threw the flag on Miller though. Must've rebuffed one's advances. :))

I think the real penalty was the helmet to the chest that wasn't called. Without that, there is no way the refs call an unsportsmanlike penalty for the hand psych.

The way Hauschka was kicking, I don't think it changed anything, anyway.