Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

It is what it is.

I just don't want him back next year

It's real-time game-day commentary. You'd better get off this forum by October 5th if it bothers you that much.

Can't wait for GDT where we aren't completely miserable by the start of the 2nd though. That and actually caring about the standings again

I know people around here won't like this, and it's not as if today was groundbreaking for him, but: Tom Brady is a football god. MF'er tossing out 5 TDs today including a stupid game winner at 40 years old, with 5 SBs in his back pocket.

I'm a damn Packers fan and I laugh at the "Rodgers is the most talented QB ever" garbage. Brady is the best ever and it's not close. Montana, Manning, Unitas, whoever.

Edited by Thorny

You may not have a choice. In which case, Tyrod will still be an acceptable option. Joe Flacco made a career out of just being acceptable.

As long as Franchise QB of the future is his backup getting eased in. 

I know people around here won't like this, and it's not as if today was groundbreaking for him, but; Tom Brady is a football god. MF'er tossing out 5 today's including a stupid game winner at 40 years old, with 5 SBs in his back pocket.

I'm a damn Packers fan and I laugh at the "Rodgers is the most talented QB ever" garbage. Brady is the best ever and it's no close. Montana, Manning, Unitas, whoever.

I do think Rodgers has been a better football thrower than Brady over their careers, even if Brady is a greater QB. 

I don't think we'll see someone who can anticipate 8 inch windows off his back foot 30 yards down the field the way Rodgers used to ever again. 

There's more to throwing a football in the NFL that the purely physical, though. Rodgers is definitely not a better thrower of the ball, as he's utilized his throwing ability for much less than Brady has.

What does anyone even mean by "better thrower"? That it looks the nicest? Who cares. If he can't throw the ball in important, clutch situations as effectively as Brady, which he hasn't, he's not a better thrower of the football.

Edited by Thorny

There's more to throwing a football in the NFL that the purely physical, though. Rodgers is definitely not a better thrower of the ball, as he's utilized his throwing ability for much less than Brady has.

What does anyone even mean by "better thrower"? That it looks the nicest? Who cares. If he can't throw the ball in important, clutch situations as effectively as Brady, which he hasn't, he's not a better thrower of the football.

Sorta like how Hasek was the best stopper of the puck in NHL history but regularly gets put behind Roy by non Sabres fans in terms of "greatest goalies". 

Marino is better at throwing the ball than Montana. 

And it does matter. It's why he's a HOFer and not just another QB bust. 

Brady cannot throw a football as well as him but he has the best pocket presence in NFL history, is incredible at pre-snap reads and has the best coach of all time. His arm was good but he's been dinking and dunking for 5 years now with the same success level and not nearly the throwing ability of Aaron.

I'm not saying that Rodgers should be above Brady in a list of the greatest qbs of all time, but I've never seen someone better at the main action of an NFL QB, and he's certainly no scrub at reading defenses and all that other stuff either. 

Sorta like how Hasek was the best stopper of the puck in NHL history but regularly gets put behind Roy by non Sabres fans in terms of "greatest goalies". 

Marino is better at throwing the ball than Montana. 

And it does matter. It's why he's a HOFer and not just another QB bust. 

Brady cannot throw a football as well as him but he has the best pocket presence in NFL history, is incredible at pre-snap reads and has the best coach of all time. His arm was good but he's been dinking and dunking for 5 years now with the same success level and not nearly the throwing ability of Aaron.

I'm not saying that Rodgers should be above Brady in a list of the greatest qbs of all time, but I've never seen someone better at the main action of an NFL QB, and he's certainly no scrub at reading defenses and all that other stuff either.

Rodgers is a better thrower and athlete. Brady is unparalleled in pocket passing, calmness under pressure, and reading a field (well besides Peyton in that last one)

The Hasek comparison is a poor one, as a legitimate argument can be made that Hasek was a better goalie all time than Roy, and no such argument can be made for Rodgers over Brady,

Marino was not a better thrower of the ball than Montana. When talking thrower of the ball, I.e. QB play, all things need to be taken into account including reading the D and poise in the pocket, among many other things.

Plenty of players had a much better shot than Gretzky. Are they better at scoring goals? No.

It seems folly to try and analyze and break things down into a single isolated skill. Abilities don't work like that, and cannot be isolated like that, and exist in combination and cooperation with so many other things.

To say Rodgers "throws the ball better" is rather meaningless, is I guess what I'm trying to say, as it works in conjunction with so many other things.

The Hasek comparison is a poor one, as a legitimate argument can be made that Hasek was a better goalie all time than Roy, and no such argument can be made for Rodgers over Brady,

Marino was not a better thrower of the ball than Montana. When talking thrower of the ball, I.e. QB play, all things need to be taken into account including reading the D and poise in the pocket, among many other things.

Plenty of players had a much better shot than Gretzky. Are they better at scoring goals? No.

No, I'm explicitly differentiating the ability to throw a ball with proper zip, accuracy, and release from all of that other stuff. Rodgers is unparalleled in NFL history. Marino is probably second. He was better at it than any other 90s QB. 

Which is why I've clarified that I don't think Rodgers is a better overall QB than Brady is. 

Disagree. Marino was the best pure thrower I ever saw. He was only the 3rd best QB of his draft class & isn't even a top 5 QB of his era. But, his throwing puts him deservedly in the HoF.

I know people around here won't like this, and it's not as if today was groundbreaking for him, but: Tom Brady is a football god. MF'er tossing out 5 TDs today including a stupid game winner at 40 years old, with 5 SBs in his back pocket.

I'm a damn Packers fan and I laugh at the "Rodgers is the most talented QB ever" garbage. Brady is the best ever and it's not close. Montana, Manning, Unitas, whoever.

Peyton Manning is the best QB of all time statistically, and it's really not even close. Tom Brady has had the better career due to the championships, however.

No, I'm explicitly differentiating the ability to throw a ball with proper zip, accuracy, and release from all of that other stuff. Rodgers is unparalleled in NFL history. Marino is probably second. He was better at it than any other 90s QB. Which is why I've clarified that I don't think Rodgers is a better overall QB than Brady is.

As I said, I don't see the point of the differentiating when skills don't work in isolation that way. Also, Brady's release is quicker than Rodgers, at least in his prime. What does it matter if Rodgers can put more "zip" on the ball if he's not reading defences and capitalizing on situations nearly as well as Brady?

Edited by Thorny

As I said, I don't see the point of the differentiating when skills don't work in isolation that way. Also, Brady's release is quicker than Rodgers, at least in his prime. What does it matt if he can put "zip" on the ball if he's not reading defences and capitalizing on situations nearly as well as Brady?

Because that's what we do in sports? What you're criticizing is like saying that we shouldn't talk about Jack's shot since McDavid and Matthews are better overall.

I want to talk about Jack's gorgeous shot. 

Because that's what we do in sports? What you're criticizing is like saying that we shouldn't talk about Jack's shot since McDavid and Matthews are better overall.

Right. Thorny, why don't you want to break down different aspects of play? Hell, we spend seemingly half of our time on this board talking about physical tools and whatnot around draft time.

Disagree. Marino was the best pure thrower I ever saw. He was only the 3rd best QB of his draft class & isn't even a top 5 QB of his era. But, his throwing puts him deservedly in the HoF.

What I'm trying to say, and failing, is that I don't think it makes sense to try and break everything down to some sort of subjective "pure thrower" category. There is so much that goes into QB play, and pure throwing ability, if we could even create a consensus as to what that is, is only valuable in conjunction with the other attributes that make up QB play.

Might as well analyze the entire package when it comes to QBs.

Matthews isn't better overall.