Brewing goaltender controversy? Sabres get points with Nilsson in goal

PASabreFan

As of a game or two ago, they were virtually identical in terms of SV% and GAA. A couple bad games by Lehner against Boston and a good one for Nilsson and now Nilsson has the advantage (.928/2.35 vs. .921/2.51). In terms of points the Sabres have gathered per game started though, it's not even close; Nilsson is at 1.25 points earned per game versus .84. I would ride the hot hand to see if the team truly does win more with Nilsson or if the point per game number slips eventually.

In addition to Nilsson being a far better goalie in shootouts over his career

Nilsson got ripped by the announcer for giving up a rebound on the tying goal in Chicago but, FWIW, I think Lehner has a way bigger problem with rebounds.  The puck sticks to Nilsson a little better, or at least it seems to.  (Is there a stat for this?)

Also, Kris Baker raised the issue of if Cal Peterson would sign with the Sabres or wait for FA to sign anywhere.  His take was that his agent would want to know if the Sabres were going to make a long-term commitment to Lehner.  Between that and Nilsson, I wouldn't.  Sign Peterson and tell him he can play in the NHL this year.

Nilsson got ripped by the announcer for giving up a rebound on the tying goal in Chicago but, FWIW, I think Lehner has a way bigger problem with rebounds.  The puck sticks to Nilsson a little better, or at least it seems to.  (Is there a stat for this?)

Also, Kris Baker raised the issue of if Cal Peterson would sign with the Sabres or wait for FA to sign anywhere.  His take was that his agent would want to know if the Sabres were going to make a long-term commitment to Lehner.  Between that and Nilsson, I wouldn't.  Sign Peterson and tell him he can play in the NHL this year.

Yeah, I'll second that.  Peterson's ceiling is rather high.  Hope he doesn't pull what Vesey did to Nashville.  

I don't know, after reading up on it, Kris Baker seems like a tool :P

Petersen leaving college to sign a contract this year, would mean he can only sign with the sabres, unless he wants to sit with his thumbs up his ass waiting on 15th august 2018 when he can really become an FA.

Edited by Huckleberry

I don't know, after reading up on it, Kris Baker seems like a tool :p

Petersen leaving college to sign a contract this year, would mean he can only sign with the sabres, unless he wants to sit with his thumbs up his ass waiting on 15th august 2018 when he can really become an FA.

Outside of a few note d-bag, like Jimmy Vesey, normally all drafted players sign with the team that drafted them, unless of course the team chooses not to.

Outside of a few note d-bag, like Jimmy Vesey, normally all drafted players sign with the team that drafted them, unless of course the team chooses not to.

hmmm, I might be the tool here, baker probably has it right, he might be a FA on 01/06 , because he was in the USHL before college.

Petersen is very much overrated. He doesn't play the angles very well and has issues with rebounds worse than Lehner. He plays behind a very good and very well coached ND team.

Anyways if him and his Agent feel like they can tell the sabres what to do, we should just step away.

It drives me nuts how this misinformation travels

Somewhere on the internet, someone muses that Cal Peterson may be looking at the Sabres goaltending depth and decide to play out college and sign as a UFA  somewhere with an easier path to the NHL. The internet then decides that Cal Peterson is not going to sign with the Sabres and will be UFA. Then the internet gets its wires crossed and he's UFA this year. Ugh.

Cal Peterson will probably sign with the Sabres at the end of this year. Almost every college player does; they're not going to pass up the chance to make even regular-person money to play a game they love. We're going to be hearing about the Vesey scenario for years, just like the "trade at the deadline and sign them back in the off-season" scenario that gets bandied around but has happened only a handful of times over the hundreds of trades.

Edited by MattPie

Somewhere on the internet, someone muses that Cal Peterson may be looking at the Sabres goaltending depth and decide to play out college and sign as a UFA  somewhere with an easier path to the NHL.

Unless Lehner or Nilsson really seizes the starting position by the nads, there's a decent likelihood that within a season or so both of the current roster goalies on the Sabres will be gone.  Peterson could very well end up in the NHL as early as next season.  It's not like we have a cemented starter.

Unless Lehner or Nilsson really seizes the starting position by the nads, there's a decent likelihood that within a season or so both of the current roster goalies on the Sabres will be gone. Peterson could very well end up in the NHL as early as next season. It's not like we have a cemented starter.

Which even furthers the point. The job is there for the taking. He doesn't need to pull a Vesey to get into a good spot. Just sign a deal and assume The role.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.