Brewing goaltender controversy? Sabres get points with Nilsson in goal

PASabreFan

I like Nilsson better myself. I would like to see more of him to evaluate if it's the team that plays better with him in net or if it's just him.

Btw, Hasek never looked calm or in control either.

Comparing Lehner to Hasek is laughable.  

Please, before we go any further I would like the best pronunciation of Nilsson's name. It had to have been said 5 different ways on last nights NBCSN broadcast.

To me it's Nils Son. The son of Nils

Thank you, I will hang up and listen.

In Swedish, it's pronounced something close to "Neel-Son".

Please, before we go any further I would like the best pronunciation of Nilsson's name. It had to have been said 5 different ways on last nights NBCSN broadcast.

To me it's Nils Son. The son of Nils

Thank you, I will hang up and listen.

I think of his name as two parts...

Nil son... as in how many goals he will give up... "nil, son!"

No, you're not the only one.  Rebound control especially is much better with Nilsson.  It seems like shots either bounce off him and into the corner, or they drop right in front of him and he or a defender can deal with it.  With Lehner there seems to be more of a tendency to kick them right back out into the slot.  And as others have said, Nilsson seems to move more efficiently in that he doesn't overshoot his position on a save and is more likely to be in better position to stop a potential rebound.

And right now anyway, Nilsson just seems to be luckier.  There was a point blank shot yesterday that the NBCSN crew gave high praise to Nilsson and even showed what a great job he did using a replay.  And on the replay it's pretty clear the puck never got to the crease; it hit Bogo in front and caromed into the corner.  With Lehner's luck lately it would have found a hole through Bogo and would have gone into the top corner, or it would have hit Bogo and bounced right back to a Ranger in the slot.

He beat the Rags twice.  What about the Rags says "easy"?   They're in s solid playoff position.

Actually, I was talking about his puck control behind the net. He stops dump ins, it seems to me, way more often than Lehner and looks to me like the better passer to his defensemen. This means the Sabres are better able to get out of their own end when he is in net. He is an asset on the ice for puck movement. Lehner looks glued to the crease.

Actually, I was talking about his puck control behind the net. He stops dump ins, it seems to me, way more often than Lehner and looks to me like the better passer to his defensemen. This means the Sabres are better able to get out of their own end when he is in net. He is an asset on the ice for puck movement. Lehner looks glued to the crease.

Also a good point.

I will agree with this. 

I don't think I've seen a goalie worse with the puck than Lehner.

You notice when the Sabres are on the PP Lehner NEVER comes out to get the puck and pass it up the ice to try and catch the other team in a change. Either just not his style or he doesn't have confidence in himself to get the puck to his teammates.

Flagg nailed it.

Nilsson and Lehner have had virtually identical games this year, with Lehner getting the tougher workload and no goal support.

You guys are grasping at a mirage.

That said, I'm fine with Nilsson getting a back-to-back start because

A) he's played well

B) the season has become about finding out what works.

If Lehner is too fragile to handle it, then that doesn't speak well about him.

He's hardly earned King Henrik status.

i get what you are saying but even the great King Henrik has been benched a spell this season in favor of Raanta.

Lehner should sit a few games and see what happens, if Nilsson stays hot it lasts a little longer. Nilsson regresses to lesser form, go back to the bench and start Lehner. Like others suggested, it could help him steel himself a bit. If he wilts like a flower he's unworthy anyways.

good points

also true, unfortunately

In Swedish, it's pronounced something close to "Neel-Son".

Well score one for Rob Ray, cause that is what he has been calling Nilsson and I thought for sure Rob was wrong. 

I think of his name as two parts...

Nil son... as in how many goals he will give up... "nil, son!"

I also think of it as 2 names, mostly because of MODO's Swedish lesson of Ulmark's name. I just was't sure where to put the emphasis:

On the *L*---- Kneel-Son

Or on the *S* ---- Kneels-son

Sorry for the interruption, please resume your regular scheduled programming.

On a much smaller scale this reminds me of Muckler not playing Hasek over Fuhr 

I remember that dust-up very well. But, at least toward the end of the controversy, Muckler was showcasing Fuhr (or trying to anyway). There was a particularly infamous pairing of games where Muckler started Fuhr against Philly (a strong team that made him look bad) and then had Hasek go against some lesser opponent (can't remember who off the top of my head). The reason being: Philly was in the market for a goalie. In addition to all that, you had the Oiler allegiance that Muckler felt toward Fuhr.

I remember that dust-up very well. But, at least toward the end of the controversy, Muckler was showcasing Fuhr (or trying to anyway). There was a particularly infamous pairing of games where Muckler started Fuhr against Philly (a strong team that made him look bad) and then had Hasek go against some lesser opponent (can't remember who off the top of my head). The reason being: Philly was in the market for a goalie. In addition to all that, you had the Oiler allegiance that Muckler felt toward Fuhr.

I loved Muckler but he got all pissed off over that one, complaining he couldn't play "that guy"--or something like that--all the time. He use to come out for post game pressers with a bottle of Molson Golden 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.