Brewing goaltender controversy? Sabres get points with Nilsson in goal

PASabreFan

Unless Lehner or Nilsson really seizes the starting position by the nads, there's a decent likelihood that within a season or so both of the current roster goalies on the Sabres will be gone.  Peterson could very well end up in the NHL as early as next season.  It's not like we have a cemented starter.

To your point, I really don't think we have the goalie of the future on the team right now. Neither goalie has been particularly bad, but Lehner's rebound control scares me in the playoffs and Nilsson doesn't have the career pedigree that allows me to buy into him long term.

If Ullmark or Peterson can step up and show something in the next few years, I would think that is most likely our long term answer.

Peterson is a junior. He can only sign with us. He'd become a free agent in the summer after his senior season.

This is false.

He can become a free agent on June 1st if he decides to leave college because he didn't go straight to college after being drafted by the Sabres. He was drafted in summer of 2013, and then played in the USHL in 2013-14 season, before joining Notre Dame. That's why he can be a free agent, it's a loophole in the system.

GMTM was on WGR last week and was asked about it, and pretty much said they have made it known to him, his family and the agent they would like to sign him at the end of his college career.

Petersen is very much overrated. He doesn't play the angles very well and has issues with rebounds worse than Lehner. He plays behind a very good and very well coached ND team.

I was watching one of the broadcasts and they mentioned on the broadcast that scouts see a lot of Martin Jones in his game. FWIW.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.