The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

You know how hard it is to break yourself from saying "that's so gay!"? Or "what are you, retarded?"

I'm working on not being such an ignorant ######. It's an uphill battle.

I used the "f word" (not to describe homosexuals, just as a general insult) until a close friend came out and explained to me that he had found it hurtful.  I was so angry and ashamed that I had hurt him.  I swear it was the last time I cried as a grownup until my fiancee was diagnosed.  This  was probably about 17 or 18 years ago.

I slip on "retard" now and then, like maybe a couple times a year.  I've been trying to eliminate it from my vocabulary for about a decade. 

Today, "retarded" seems to be supplanted by "autistic," because "retarded" is a bad word.  Having never learned to use "autistic" as an insult, that's easy to avoid for me (plus I have friends who are and friends with kids who are), but I'll bet there's a generation younger than me that's going to grow up with that one, and have to learn the same lessons we have learned or are learning.

None of us are perfect.  (Well, except inkman; he's dreamy.)  But we never should let perfect be the enemy of good; we always should just strive to be the best humans we can be.

EDIT:  A word.

Edited by Eleven

I think that ostracizing those that are different IS the default path.

Not a fully fleshed out thought here so don't flame it too badly. I liken it to animals that isolate and destroy those that are different within their brood. It is thought to be a survival of the species reflex action. I think that those that ostracize differences in humans are acting in a similar way, instinctual rather than thoughtful or logical, which would explain why it is so difficult to change that behavior. And our various social organizations reinforce those actions unfortunately.

As for children..... they are very good at identifying those that are different and treating them cruelly. I dont think they start late, or need parental guidance to reinforce the behavior. If anything, they need parental reinforcement to set that behavior aside and develop more refined ones.

Put one white child in a room with one black child and they will find something to bond over. Change that to 10 white kirs and one black one and the black child will be isolated. Same if the races were reversed.

Edited by We've

I think that ostracizing those that are different IS the default path.

Not a fully fleshed out thought here so don't flame it too badly. I liken it to animals that isolate and destroy those that are different within their brood. It is thought to be a survival of the species reflex action. I think that those that ostracize differences in humans are acting in a similar way, instinctual rather than thoughtful or logical, which would explain why it is so difficult to change that behavior. And our various social organizations reinforce those actions unfortunately.

As for children..... they are very good at identifying those that are different and treating them cruelly. I dont think they start late, or need parental guidance to reinforce the behavior. If anything, they need parental reinforcement to set that behavior aside and develop more refined ones.

Put one white child in a room with one black child and they will find something to bond over. Change that to 10 white kirs and one black one and the black child will be isolated. Same if the races were reversed.

There is evolutionary pressure to be afraid of what different than you; different means "not you" and "not you" isn't going to help you survive as they have the other "not youse" to look out for. It is one of those things that parents need to steer their kids out of; much like "don't beat someone up and steal their food".

Today was a fun day.... People suck.... Patient came in S/P surgery 2 months ago, asked if she could be pregnant (hubby was only one in room, she was in potty) he said no, no sex since surgery..... What the hell, ill get an hcg anyways.... Positive, ultrasound..... Yes, baby on board.... Soon to be a divorce as well.

Today was a fun day.... People suck.... Patient came in S/P surgery 2 months ago, asked if she could be pregnant (hubby was only one in room, she was in potty) he said no, no sex since surgery..... What the hell, ill get an hcg anyways.... Positive, ultrasound..... Yes, baby on board.... Soon to be a divorce as well.

I could not do your job. I lose my mind dealing with our support reps all day

I've mentioned before that I work for the Boy Scouts.. most of the year I'm doing boring fundraising and administrative stuff. But in the fall, I get to go into the schools and try to recruit kids. It's my favorite part of the job.

Anyways, my general observations:

K and 1st grade don't care about any differences. They seem to interchangeably be friends with everyone. By 2nd and 3rd, they still don't acknowledge any racial/religious/SES/etc differences. But now, god forbid a girl sit at the boy table (this makes my job much easier, actually). By 4th grade, I think that's when they start to become a little more "socially aware." In a bad way. They start dividing themselves a little more. Sometimes they're too cool to have a visitor sit with them at lunch.

K and 1st grade are so entertaining to talk to. The questions they ask are beyond hilarious, and you literally cannot say anything without them relating it to some absurd story that they MUST tell you. The other day, a little girl looked me up and down twice, then proclaimed, "You're not a Boy Scout. You're a Mannnn Scout." If she wasn't in 1st grade, I might have thought she was hitting on me :P

I used the "f word" (not to describe homosexuals, just as a general insult) until a close friend came out and explained to me that he had found it hurtful.  I was so angry and ashamed that I had hurt him.  I swear it was the last time I cried as a grownup until my fiancee was diagnosed.  This  was probably about 17 or 18 years ago.

I slip on "retard" now and then, like maybe a couple times a year.  I've been trying to eliminate it from my vocabulary for about a decade. 

Today, "retarded" seems to be supplanted by "autistic," because "retarded" is a bad word.  Having never learned to use "autistic" as an insult, that's easy to avoid for me (plus I have friends who are and friends with kids who are), but I'll bet there's a generation younger than me that's going to grow up with that one, and have to learn the same lessons we have learned or are learning.

None of us are perfect.  (Well, except inkman; he's dreamy.)  But we never should let perfect be the enemy of good; we always should just strive to be the best humans we can be.

EDIT:  A word.

A couple years back I was on a subway train in Boston with my wife and her mother.  These college girls across from us were talking and one randomly said "that's retarded".  My MiL immediately says to her "that's offensive, I had a cousin who was retarded".  It took all the effort in the world to not break out into laughter, one because who the hell calls out strangers like that, and two because it was the perfect example of how these things that people find offensive change over the years.

FWIW, my 17-year-old son and his meathead friends -- most of whom come from highly PC families and all of whom live in a highly PC community -- call each other "retards" all the time.

A behavior that perhaps aught to be addressed. Would your son and co be interested in volunteering at a group home? Or perhaps the Special Olympics? The Special Olympics has events year round that may offer volunteer experience and that may look good on college applications or resumes.

My friends and I used that word all the time too, in the same way. I've successfully ditched it since HS ended.

FWIW, my 17-year-old son and his meathead friends -- most of whom come from highly PC families and all of whom live in a highly PC community -- call each other "retards" all the time.

However, when I'm with the boys at a bonfire I still let this one slip, as do they. Not proud of it. Definitely not from a PC area or family though (I thought I was until I looked closer at places like college campuses - I had no idea until recently how next-level that stuff has become. Not to claim that's a good or bad thing.)

My friends and I used that word all the time too, in the same way. I've successfully ditched it since HS ended.

However, when I'm with the boys at a bonfire I still let this one slip, as do they. Not proud of it. Definitely not from a PC area or family though (I thought I was until I looked closer at places like college campuses - I had no idea until recently how next-level that stuff has become. Not to claim that's a good or bad thing.)

Yep, got a few as well. Working on it. I used to be the chick who could hang with the football team or similarly macho group and crack dirty/offensive jokes that would make them bust a gut. Well, I still can but... I don't. Not as much, anyways. I'm still not above some lowbrow sexual humor or snarky chirping.

And I look back on that girl and go, immature, and definitely trying to make up for lack of conventional hotness by being the "cool bro chick" instead. Cringe. Then I went through some in college and the sex jokes lost their appeal. Then I met/got to know all different walks of life, and most of the other jokes lost their shine as well. Humor's a great coping mechanism, but sometimes it's just irresponsible. 

Mentioned upthread was calling guys "pu$$ies" and purse/women jokes... yeah... those always did bother me. I try not to be the "annoying bonerkiller sjw" at sporting events but those always earn eyerolls from me. Get creative with your insults. You can do so so much better, and be more scathing. 

So I downloaded UTorrent and now my cable company keeps threatening me because people are seeding off an album I downloaded. So I uninstalled Utorrent. No problem, right? Now I'm still getting the emails from the cable company. Is there some sort of hidden maleware / software UTorrent has that I need to remove?

So I downloaded UTorrent and now my cable company keeps threatening me because people are seeding off an album I downloaded. So I uninstalled Utorrent. No problem, right? Now I'm still getting the emails from the cable company. Is there some sort of hidden maleware / software UTorrent has that I need to remove?

Who was it that I told to drop their laptop into a bucket of water?

It's possible. I'd go download Wireshark and do a packet capture to see what's going out over the wire, that will be fairly definitive. Plus, you're a software person right? Wireshark may be one of *the* most important tools for diagnosing network issues with software. Apps and logs lie, the wire doesn't.

PM me and I can help some if needed.

Edit: Also, keep an eye on https://www.packtpub.com/packt/offers/free-learning. They offer free ebooks daily, a couple of which are Wireshark-related, and almost all of them are software development themed.

Edited by MattPie

A behavior that perhaps aught to be addressed. Would your son and co be interested in volunteering at a group home? Or perhaps the Special Olympics? The Special Olympics has events year round that may offer volunteer experience and that may look good on college applications or resumes.

That is regrettable.

I'm not saying it's OK.  (And certainly I'm inclined to defend my kid and his friends, who are all good kids.)  I mentioned it mostly to point out that while the racial/ethnic/sexual orientation slur/insults of prior generations seem to have faded from usage, this one lives on.

Whenever my computer acts funky, my tech support guy recommends downloading the free malware detector from malwarebytes.com and running a full scan.  It's generally pretty effective.

What the F is it with today? Just got home from the ER. I take 3 bites into dinner and boom! I'm choking! I run to the sink and I don't know what I did but it's out enough I can breathe a little but it's still there so I take a slug of water. Bad friggin idea. I'm choking all over again. This time I'm making noise and gurgling and that gets my wife's attention. The third time I cried "choking" she figured out what I was saying. I refused to go to the hospital though because I'm a moron. I tried stuffing my finger down my throat 6 or 7 times but I couldn't get it to move and I was just making things worse. An hour later as I'm turning purple I agree to go. The lady at the desk was freaking out a bit by my appearance but as they were all hustling about what was in my throat started to move and clear out. They kept me a half hour to make sure I was ok. I am. I'm rattled a bit and my throats hurts like hell......I'm breathing.

I'm going to bed.

What the F is it with today? Just got home from the ER. I take 3 bites into dinner and boom! I'm choking! I run to the sink and I don't know what I did but it's out enough I can breathe a little but it's still there so I take a slug of water. Bad friggin idea. I'm choking all over again. This time I'm making noise and gurgling and that gets my wife's attention. The third time I cried "choking" she figured out what I was saying. I refused to go to the hospital though because I'm a moron. I tried stuffing my finger down my throat 6 or 7 times but I couldn't get it to move and I was just making things worse. An hour later as I'm turning purple I agree to go. The lady at the desk was freaking out a bit by my appearance but as they were all hustling about what was in my throat started to move and clear out. They kept me a half hour to make sure I was ok. I am. I'm rattled a bit and my throats hurts like hell......I'm breathing.

I'm going to bed.

Yikes, iT... glad you're okay!!

Dude!!! Sounds like you have esophageal motility disorder or strictures.... Did they do a laryngoscope? Has this happened before and is it with any particular foods?! I need to know lol

My friend's father in law has a problem where his epiglottis doesn't seal properly and he ends up aspirating small amounts food and drink into his lungs, but in his case he doesn't feel like he's choking, he's just prone to lower respiratory infections.

I'm going to bed.

My buddy Pat has this problem. Get it looked at. You might need surgery, but it's better than choking to death.