The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

haha go for it for free- d4rk's grabbing it I know, and another user here has a sketch of mine too. No charge. 

I meant for the Wild guy.  Not that I don't love your work, but mine holds special meaning.  And, I can't stand looking at that guys mug when I read anything WildCard has to say, and he says a lot.  Some of it even of high quality ......

:P

My partner and I were in a scissor lift yesterday coming down for more material when Dum Dum approaches us. Asks how it's going and starts in telling us a bunch of useless info that doesn't even pertain to our project. It's senseless but I'm doing my best to follow along. Right in the middle of one of these senseless sentences, as he's speaking, he makes the sign of the cross.

WTF?! I was so confused about what that was about that I couldn't even listen to the rest of what he had to say.

Dum Dum is one weird dude.

Always be sure you know what you're agreeing to before you sign. Never assume. And if you're dumb like me and find yourself overwhelmed, tutorials tutorials tutorials. I guess this is how you learn though...

Seriously though. Did a ton of easy work for a rush job. They ask for more work, I stupidly assume it's the same kind of easy work... sign all the docs... THEN they tell me they need tons of work (by thursday) and it's stuff I have never done in my life. Gigs of it. I keep asking loads of questions that I'm sure are like "baby learning to crawl" level questions to them and I feel so insurmountably stupid right now. And terrified. And awful. They needed me to help them out, not sit down and baby me along...

I am so incredibly in over my head right now.

Designers reaaallly don't know the difference between a graphic designer and an illustrator, do they? It's like asking a painter to put down their brush and go sculpt something out of marble real quick. Related, yeah, some painters are also sculptors, but generally lightyears apart in practice...

Always be sure you know what you're agreeing to before you sign. Never assume. And if you're dumb like me and find yourself overwhelmed, tutorials tutorials tutorials. I guess this is how you learn though...

Seriously though. Did a ton of easy work for a rush job. They ask for more work, I stupidly assume it's the same kind of easy work... sign all the docs... THEN they tell me they need tons of work (by thursday) and it's stuff I have never done in my life. Gigs of it. I keep asking loads of questions that I'm sure are like "baby learning to crawl" level questions to them and I feel so insurmountably stupid right now. And terrified. And awful. They needed me to help them out, not sit down and baby me along...

Designers reaaallly don't know the difference between a graphic designer and an illustrator, do they? It's like asking a painter to put down their brush and go sculpt something out of marble real quick. Related, yeah, some painters are also sculptors, but generally lightyears apart in practice...

Sorry to read that.

If it is truly outside your wheelhouse, any possibility that the "rush adder" is enough that you can afford to sub part/all of it out?

Did you tell them that this is work you don't normally do? 

I gave it my best try, but I guess I asked enough questions that my glaring inexperience was sniffed out. They're pulling back the copy/text formatting stuff to in-house. I'm still going to be replacing flat graphic elements with work I made for them in the previous weeks. I'm still kind of lost, but at least I can follow a tutorial or two to learn how to do it myself. 

I did tell them this wasn't my wheelhouse. But they were in a rush and just ignored me until I asked a ton of questions. Apparently I did too good of a job with my files on the previous job that they assumed I knew how to use a different program. I have worked in it before, but very sparingly. I told them that early on, didn't seem to phase them. 

This is clinical medical stuff, there's really no room for pushing things around like in a magazine. Everything is uniform in size and spacing and it's a puzzle to solve, and I don't know the rules. They brought me in initially to make it less spartan and clinical... Most of the creative team is on vacation which is why they said "hey, this freelancer did a great job on job 1, let's keep her around to knock out job 2" because all designers design...

I really feel the failure today. It's all the sort of thing that were I in the physical office with them, the director would walk over, point/click/show me stuff for 5 minutes, and I'd be rolling along. But on my own with only email and rushed phone communication, I'm just floundering. 

I gave it my best try, but I guess I asked enough questions that my glaring inexperience was sniffed out. They're pulling back the copy/text formatting stuff to in-house. I'm still going to be replacing flat graphic elements with work I made for them in the previous weeks. I'm still kind of lost, but at least I can follow a tutorial or two to learn how to do it myself. 

I did tell them this wasn't my wheelhouse. But they were in a rush and just ignored me until I asked a ton of questions. Apparently I did too good of a job with my files on the previous job that they assumed I knew how to use a different program. I have worked in it before, but very sparingly. I told them that early on, didn't seem to phase them. 

This is clinical medical stuff, there's really no room for pushing things around like in a magazine. Everything is uniform in size and spacing and it's a puzzle to solve, and I don't know the rules. They brought me in initially to make it less spartan and clinical... Most of the creative team is on vacation which is why they said "hey, this freelancer did a great job on job 1, let's keep her around to knock out job 2" because all designers design...

I really feel the failure today. It's all the sort of thing that were I in the physical office with them, the director would walk over, point/click/show me stuff for 5 minutes, and I'd be rolling along. But on my own with only email and rushed phone communication, I'm just floundering. 

This sounds remarkably like the last few days for me. I get through the howto to get the basic stuff working, and then when you ask, "how do a authorize users based on what group they're in?" you get answers like membership_filter = "(|(member=%{control:Ldap-UserDn})(memberUid=%{%{Stripped-User-Name}:-%{User-Name}}))" and no directions on how to define how groups are listed and what attributes they map to. WTF.

All I can say is keep going and it'll get easier, that's what I keep telling myself. Unfortunately, this is already late for me.

Don't let this get you down. It can happen to anyone in any field running any kind of business. Getting asked to do things you've never done before is something a lot of companies deal with. A lot of times you have enough time to figure things out and it is a stressful but rewarding experience and you profit. But when the timeline is too urgent, it can become an irreparable crisis. Be glad they took it in house. You showed you're willing on a longer project timeline. But you probably would have been f*cked on this short schedule. It's okay.

This sounds remarkably like the last few days for me. I get through the howto to get the basic stuff working, and then when you ask, "how do a authorize users based on what group they're in?" you get answers like membership_filter = "(|(member=%{control:Ldap-UserDn})(memberUid=%{%{Stripped-User-Name}:-%{User-Name}}))" and no directions on how to define how groups are listed and what attributes they map to. WTF.

All I can say is keep going and it'll get easier, that's what I keep telling myself. Unfortunately, this is already late for me.

Best of luck to you. It's just... all you can do is go forward. 

It sure is frustrating. And my head is just a cloud of all the crap people tell you; "Fake it till you make it" "Learn on the fly" my father telling me that's the basis of most of his job, "we have a problem, can you fix it?" "Yes!" no matter what, make it work. 

So now I feel like a fraud AND a failure... I realize it's not really my fault- it's a miscommunication, but if only I had more training/had some innate sense that made me amazing at everything, I wouldn't be letting these people down. I really feel terrible. This was my chance to really nail down some work of this type, expand my resume, actually get a job and make money... I know I can do it, but not on this timeframe or necessarily in this sanitized style. 

Don't let this get you down. It can happen to anyone in any field running any kind of business. Getting asked to do things you've never done before is something a lot of companies deal with. A lot of times you have enough time to figure things out and it is a stressful but rewarding experience and you profit. But when the timeline is too urgent, it can become an irreparable crisis. Be glad they took it in house. You showed you're willing on a longer project timeline. But you probably would have been f*cked on this short schedule. It's okay.

You're right. 

I think I know how to do the rest of it, which they said is the more time consuming part they most need my help with anyways. 

But man. Guess I have yet another feather I need to hunt down to put in my cap. I didn't know what I didn't know. Now i know what I don't know, and I can fill in the gaps moving forward. Just a painful/cruddy way to learn. But aren't most lessons learned through failure? 

I just made the dumb mistake of telling someone I'd have work done for them today.  Usually I'm intentionally vague when it comes to timelines.  Right as I'm about to finish up... server crashes.

Under promise, over deliver.

You too, Josie.  Words to live by.

Under promise, over deliver.

You too, Josie.  Words to live by.

I normally do under promise. Constantly. It's pretty much my ethos. 

It was just miscommunication. They said "we loved it so much we want you to do more" and I signed on assuming that meant more of the stuff I'm good at/did for them already. After I'd signed on they told me what they wanted...which was all foreign territory.

Had I had time, I could've figured it out and done it. As it stands, I got an email this morning essentially firing me. 

Mixed feelings. On one hand, I have a lot of other work I put off to do this that I can now work on. Tomorrow and Thursday will be spent prepping and doing a nasty medical procedure. Takes a lot off my mind, but I also feel like an absolute worthless failure piece of sh!t now. Officially the first time I've ever been kicked off a project or done poorly. Never failed a test (ok, one math test in 10th grade, still haunts me), never failed a project, never did badly at my old job.... so this is new and terrible and just reinforces the mean part of my brain screaming "and this is why you're broke, you suck, you're not a real designer by any stretch of the imagination". 

Edited by Josie914

I normally do under promise. Constantly. It's pretty much my ethos.

It was just miscommunication. They said "we loved it so much we want you to do more" and I signed on assuming that meant more of the stuff I'm good at/did for them already. After I'd signed on they told me what they wanted...which was all foreign territory.

Had I had time, I could've figured it out and done it. As it stands, I got an email this morning essentially firing me.

Mixed feelings. On one hand, I have a lot of other work I put off to do this that I can now work on. Tomorrow and Thursday will be spent prepping and doing a nasty medical procedure. Takes a lot off my mind, but I also feel like an absolute worthless failure piece of sh!t now. Officially the first time I've ever been kicked off a project or done poorly. Never failed a test (ok, one math test in 10th grade, still haunts me), never failed a project, never did badly at my old job.... so this is new and terrible.

Chalk it up to "sh*t happens". In any business you don't win every contract bid, or make every sale, or make every customer happy. Sometimes things just don't work out. On to the next stuff, specifically your bread and butter work.