The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

Why are you going to Disneyland/world as a single adult male with no kids?

hahahah

ok, if I had a nickel for every person my age sans kids who goes to DisneyEmporium, I'd have enough money to go to DisneyEmporium. I know people who go 5x a year... and they live up here. I went once when I was like 12... I'm good for another couple decades. 

I'm guessing Woody goes as an uncle or something. 

Edit: I like d4rk's assumption better 

Edited by Josie914

My wife and I are expecting our 6th in January, but this will be our 2nd together.  Of the other 4 from previous relationships (3 are hers, 1 is mine), only 1 "ex" is involved (mine) so my son is only with us every other week.  My wife will be 40 in February and I'll be 37 in October.  I'm by no means the world's best dad, but being a dad is the best part of my life.  No, I don't get to play hockey anymore, or even go to games for that matter.  My hockey money goes to pay for the kids soccer, piano, and whatnot.  But I would much much rather watch my kids do what they enjoy and be there to support them, than do it myself.

I'm an only child, the definition of selfish, but being a parent is great.  Sure there's plenty of times I bitch and moan that I'm always doing something for someone else instead of myself.  The teenagers drive me nuts, leaving their crap all over the house, and my almost three-year old daughter who thinks she's 15 can drive me up a wall with her know-it-all attitude, but I wouldn't change a thing.  Within 4 years, the two oldest will be close to 20.  The yet-to-be-born youngest will be a year from Kindergarten. and I'll be 40 (!), but I'm looking forward to it.  Having kids isn't for everyone.  Having a bunch of kids even less so.  But, once you have a kid, everything changes and not for the worst.  It opens doors to see and feel things you never thought possible.

How do the kids handle their brother being around every other week?  I can see that leading to the kids asking some crazy questions from time to time.  Then again, kids adapt so fast.  Whatever they have, they quickly assume that's how it is in every single house.

And re: to all the stuff above- y'all are great. I'm happy you're all happy. Your kids are lucky to have you! I think it's a very individual thing. I know some incredible parents and some.. not so incredible ones. 

I get told "oh it's a love you've never felt" a lot about a newborn. I'm sure. Chems/hormones are a hell of a thing. But... what if I don't? What if that doesn't happen? It's all on me as the mother. 

My mother upon my sister coming into the world 2+ months premature didn't get to touch her for days after birth- she said she never bonded to her, not for months, and then the cancer showed up and she had this screaming, dying infant, desperately ill exploding at both ends, hooked up to tubes and machines that she had no idea what to do with and no help (my father had to travel to keep finances somewhat in check). It's... really made a difference in my sister. She has never coped well. It's no fault of my mother's. You could blame doctors. But god... what if that's me and I irrevocably fu*k up a kid who's already probably going to be fu*ked with my genetics in them??!?! 

I guess I care too much about their potential wellbeing to screw it up so severely from the get-go. 

Edited by Josie914

TWC is offering a deal for internet, phone (don't want), and cable for $30 a month. Internet is at 60 Mbps. Is that good? Is this an actual good deal?

60 Mbps is terrible for a wired connection ... WIFI it's very good.

+++++

IMO, it is the most unselfish thing anyone can do to not have kids.  The planet is bursting at the seems as it is.

My wife and I do not have kids of our own ... foster kids, yes.  Mostly in Bosnia and not really kids anymore.  We never planned to so I had the 'big V' ... painless, but I can hit all the high notes just like Freddie ...  :flirt:  ... when I was about 30.  I remember it was an ordeal to get the procedure approved.  Back then it was unheard of except by older men finished their families.

I'm in my mid 30's I have 2 sisters, who both have 2 girls each.....I am the only boy that can "carry on the family name" so I get some of the pressure, I keep thinking that it's not for me, I work too much, have a near impossible time finding a woman, and like to travel Wayyyyyyyy too much for the life with kids.... I can see the benefit of having kids, but I get my fill when I teach the little ones in martial arts. And my yearly trips to Disney are enough birth control for any single man :)

The you are. I've seen you in person, you're 28 tops

How do the kids handle their brother being around every other week?  I can see that leading to the kids asking some crazy questions from time to time.  Then again, kids adapt so fast.  Whatever they have, they quickly assume that's how it is in every single house.

No issues.  My wife and I have been together for 6 years, since he was 3.  Her three are all older - 16, 15, 12, then comes my son who is almost 9, and then our daughter who will be 3 in a couple of weeks.  He was actually with us full time for almost two years (5-6) while my ex was married to an terrible person and my son refused to go there.  We've been honest with everyone from the start, and we just roll with it.  The youngest has some issues with it, because she misses him when he's gone, but she understands that he's at his mom's house and will be back soon. 

The only time it has been an issue is with chores.  Each kid has a specific chore each week, and it rotates, with each kid getting $10 allowance each month.  Since "L" is only there every other week, he skips two of the chores.  When it's one of the more difficult/loathed chores, like dishes, there are gripes, so we break the rotation every few months to keep it fair.  Plus, he only gets $5 allowance.   Is it perfect?  No, but we do the best we can.

Mini Vanek.... It's true, 33.... The flow made me look younger.

I have a friend who is a graphic designer for Disney so we have a yearly meet up where we go and get wasted for a week and go on rides, Disney sucks.... Until you're drunk. I do also have uncle duties at times, but I'm basically a 12 year old at heart.

I have a friend who is a graphic designer for Disney so we have a yearly meet up where we go and get wasted for a week and go on rides, Disney sucks.... Until you're drunk. I do also have uncle duties at times, but I'm basically a 12 year old at heart.

That's pretty much what a buddy of mine who goes there every year (typically at least twice) says. He also tells me, there are a LOT of places to drink there.

To each his own I guess. It's one thing to take kids you care about and witness their joy and excitement. It's quite another to do it for your own "fun". Hours of standing in line, in the Florida heat, surrounded by 1,000 of children you have no emotional attachment to. Maybe it's just me but there's not enough booze in the world to make me want to do that.

Let me guess, you're there in October for that international wine and beer thing?

Let me guess, you're there in October for that international wine and beer thing?

I go there usually for that, but I just got back a few weeks ago..... The perk is, I don't have to wait in line because my friends has the hook up from working there, so that certainly makes it better, yes it's hot but I like the heat. As for places to drink, it's amazing how many watering holes there are

I go there usually for that, but I just got back a few weeks ago..... The perk is, I don't have to wait in line because my friends has the hook up from working there, so that certainly makes it better, yes it's hot but I like the heat. As for places to drink, it's amazing how many watering holes there are

Having that connection is the only way I'd ever go to that place. I was there once (during the international thing), only because my brother knew a couple employees. That place is so brilliantly designed to drain bank accounts. I don't know how people do it if they have to pay for everything. I'd much rather spend that money on something more practical like a down payment on a car.

Last time we were there was like 10-12 so years ago.  I'm not bashful about what I intend for my vacations.  If I'm on vacation, I'm drinking, kid in tow or no.  And I don't really give a damn if someone in the crowd looks down on me for it.  We hit those watering holes every day.  Walking around Disney Downtown with a margarita in hand makes it much more tolerable.  Although they were stupid expensive margaritas.

Imin.

Only,... I'm with ubkev. I'm not going to Disney. I'll try it on the old Comet from Crystal Beach the next time in Lake George.

I once missed last ride of the night on the Superman at darrien lake. I was forced to settle for last ride on the Predator. The guys running it sent us through 4 straight times without stopping. After 3 I wanted to die. It was a fun night.

I am currently at cedar point and the dragster may be the most intense ride I've ever ridden, millennium force also makes the superman feel the the kiddie park.... And alcohol has been consumed

Top thrill dragster it the greatest!