The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Sabres STH gifts have arrived.  They went outside the box this year.  A Sabres USB charger, a Sabres lapel pin, and a Sabres themed jigsaw puzzle.

I assume the puzzle has a couple of missing pieces.

”We’ll send them in a couple years”

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Probably should go in the music thread, but curious if anybody saw April Wine play live.  That's one of the handful of bands that this kid missed but would've loved to see live.  They weren't Rush or Triumph, but they were darn close and were one of the greatest Canadian bands ever.  (There are a few other Canadian bands missed, but that's a different thread altoghter.)

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

Probably should go in the music thread, but curious if anybody saw April Wine play live.  That's one of the handful of bands that this kid missed but would've loved to see live.  They weren't Rush or Triumph, but they were darn close and were one of the greatest Canadian bands ever.  (There are a few other Canadian bands missed, but that's a different thread altoghter.)

I didn’t know that 21st Century Schizoid Man was a cover for a long time. I bet they were great live.

Plus, they had those awesome, Todd Rundgren-like vocals.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Taro T said:

I’ve seen April Wine a few times. They had a solid group of songs, they recorded for quite a few years.

I saw them in small arenas so the acoustics weren’t the best but most of the crowd was into it because of a good band coming to a rural town.

• Like (+1) 1

I've lost my nerve as a writer. (I don't write professionally or anything, just for fun.)

I used to write all the time. Now I've convinced myself that putting out my drivel on here or emailing a buddy long ramblings "scratches my itch."

Now I have a day off, it's spitting snow, the coffee has kicked in and I just sat here weaving a great story in my mind. It would only be a short story, not a novel, you lazy ass, but I don't see myself doing a lick with it.

Why?

Does anyone here write? Compose music? Paint?

It's not fun. It's torture.

Oh, when it's done and it's perfect, you feel great, like 10 minutes after finishing a 5K. While you're cramping and gasping, not so much.

How do I start?

10 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I've lost my nerve as a writer. (I don't write professionally or anything, just for fun.)

I used to write all the time. Now I've convinced myself that putting out my drivel on here or emailing a buddy long ramblings "scratches my itch."

Now I have a day off, it's spitting snow, the coffee has kicked in and I just sat here weaving a great story in my mind. It would only be a short story, not a novel, you lazy ass, but I don't see myself doing a lick with it.

Why?

Oh, when it's done and it's perfect, you feel great, like 10 minutes after finishing a 5K. While you're cramping and gasping, not so much.

How do I start?

By starting.

I usually schedule it and make it finite. “I’m going to work from 8 until 10. Then, I’m going to reward myself with a Manhattan and watching Letterkenny.” If I’m not feeling it, I’ll end at the time I said and feel satisfied that I stuck to my plan. If I am feeling it, I’ll work until 1 and be even more satisfied.

Also, make sure there are no distractions. Nothing worse than making lots o progress and then the message ding goes off on your phone and kills all creativity.

• Thanks (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Why?

How do I start?

I never thought of writing or composing as type-2 fun, but it makes a ton of sense. I've surprised myself by taking a liking to type-2 fun in the form of riding bicycles up hills. I'm terrible at it, but it's such a joy when I'm at the top. Maybe it's not such a surprise; software troubleshooting is similarly miserable until it's fixed, then it's a huge high.

Edited by MattPie
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Taro T said:

April Wine are not only Canadian, but from Halifax.  I saw them when I was in High School.  Great band.

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/22/2023 at 3:57 PM, Weave said:

I assume the puzzle has a couple of missing pieces.

”We’ll send them in a couple years”

I have it on good authority that next year's STH gift is a fidget spinner.

Seriously, this organization is such a third rate clown show. The contempt they have for fans seems to be bottomless.

2 hours ago, shrader said:

I’m am so glad I work from home. The presentation I’m sitting through right now and just walked out of the room on, I couldn’t do that if I was there in person. 

This sounds ridiculous, but I was in a meeting with camera on earlier. It was a great meeting, but damn did I really wish I could have gotten up to make some tea. Working at home has me so spoiled, lol.