The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

Ok to redeem myself in the eyes of the sweet tooths, I found myself in niagara falls last night and am currently working my way through a dozen of freddies doughnuts, yummmm

Three weeks until Mardi Gras! My first living in New Orleans. One thing I've learned from living here is that "locals" Mardi Gras bears little resemblance to "tourist" Mardi Gras. Am looking forward to the uptown parades. Laissez les bons temps rouler...

I'm gonna be in New Orleans the 1st through the 5th I believe, medical conference. Never been there, staying a long time the royal hotel in French quarter, any recommendations?

Car vs Charlie: 1-0, Car

Got tackled into traffic once and found myself regaining consciousness underneath a car. Totally f*ed my shoulder. Let that be a lesson to ya. Sometimes you lose a fight. And when you wake up confused under a car, you have most definitely lost.

I'm gonna be in New Orleans the 1st through the 5th I believe, medical conference. Never been there, staying a long time the royal hotel in French quarter, any recommendations?

IMHO, it depends on your age and what you like to do. Bourbon Street is a younger crowd and filled with idiots these days. But, if you've never been then you sort of have to at least check it out (locals pretty much never go down there). Jackson Square is worth checking out. Royal Street has some interesting shops.

If you like Jazz, the Jazz Playhouse at the Royal Sonesta Hotel has a good lineup. Also, they do jazz + burlesque on Fridays at 11pm. Unique to New Orleans. Frenchman Street in the Marigny (just east of the FQ) is where the better jazz is. But, every place will get crowded so you need to get there early and stake out real estate. Snug Harbor, Spotted Cat, Three Muses, Café Negril, etc. The Ritz Carlton has jazz on weekends. Very good house act. Hard to get a table. The Roosevelt Hotel has jazz as well (singer). I like the Sazerac Room at the Roosevelt. Old School classic joint where they invented the Sazarac.

The restaurants are fantastic. So many good ones. Here is a fairly good list of some of the better ones: http://www.nola.com/dining-guide/index.ssf/page/best_new_orleans_restaurants.html

Awesome, thanks for the info, I'm 33 and I don't drunk and party too much these days, once in a while on a trip I'll let loose, but def not looking for the spring break tween scene.

I do love good jazz vocals, so I may actually try and get some real estate at one of those one night. As for cuisine, Cajun is right up there with Indian as my 2 favorite eats, so I will partake in everything I see

Ok to redeem myself in the eyes of the sweet tooths, I found myself in niagara falls last night and am currently working my way through a dozen of freddies doughnuts, yummmm

d4rk and I spent a quick weekend there but hope to come back for a longer trip someday. We didn't get to do a ton, but if you're interested, the World War II museum down there is fantastic. Tom Hanks bankrolled the whole thing and it's really well done- one of the more immersive-without-someone-babbling-at-you experiences I've had. And they recently opened a new section of it. 

If you have money to blow and want a fancy a$$ dinner and a world class sazerac, go to Commander's Palace. Mostly just eat. There's so much amazing stuff to eat. Just don't get food poisoning like I did. (was either a beer allergy or a bad shrimp po'boy at Mother's)

I agree with ol' Iron Crotch on Bourbon Street. It's definitely worth a walk through- never really seen anything like it before on such a scale. It was as if every stereotypical southern frat/sorority kid were there celebrating their stag parties. Vomit everywhere, loud, some subpar sloppy t!t flashing, just not my scene. 

d4rk and I spent a quick weekend there but hope to come back for a longer trip someday. We didn't get to do a ton, but if you're interested, the World War II museum down there is fantastic. Tom Hanks bankrolled the whole thing and it's really well done- one of the more immersive-without-someone-babbling-at-you experiences I've had. And they recently opened a new section of it.

If you have money to blow and want a fancy a$$ dinner and a world class sazerac, go to Commander's Palace. Mostly just eat. There's so much amazing stuff to eat. Just don't get food poisoning like I did. (was either a beer allergy or a bad shrimp po'boy at Mother's)

I agree with ol' Iron Crotch on Bourbon Street. It's definitely worth a walk through- never really seen anything like it before on such a scale. It was as if every stereotypical southern frat/sorority kid were there celebrating their stag parties. Vomit everywhere, loud, some subpar sloppy t!t flashing, just not my scene.

Actually being a Navy guy, the WW II place sounds pretty cool, I'll check out bourbon for sure, the conference is only 1 day, I just booked it for 4 because it's mostly house money. I'll keep a note to try and not get good poisoning ;)

Sorry to hear.

Screen-time ought to be reduced, from what I've heard.

There are easier ways to get me kicked off here Smell  :P  ;)

In reality though hard to reduce screen time though. I'm a software dev, I sit in front of 60 inches of monitor every day

I wouldn't drink booze

Heard this too. Why not? Don't get how they're related

In reality though hard to reduce screen time though. I'm a software dev, I sit in front of 60 inches of monitor every day

Booze swells your brain. The reason you have a headache the next morning is actually your brain pealing itself away from your skull.

One thing that popped up in a Google search makes sense: you need to be attuned to how you're feeling and alcohol use could mask or distort any new symptoms that would be worrisome. Google is your friend. Good luck with everything. Take care of yourself during the recovery. You can have a beer to celebrate your full recovery.

Booze swells your brain. The reason you have a headache the next morning is actually your brain pealing itself away from your skull.

I like this answer so much better.

I have a concussion. Is there not so obvious stuff I shouldn't be doing? I know bright lights, loud noises, and rest

Sorry man, that sucks. Hopefully it's a mild one. 

Don't look at screens if you can. See a doctor if it's bad- or to get a note to get out of work/other stuff. If it's mild enough that you're trying to work, tell other team members/boss what's up- you might do some really squirrely sh!t without realizing it. I got a pretty good one once and was finding bizarre file placements/mistakes on the most mundane/normal tasks for months afterwards. 

Def stay away from the booze- in addition to the whole "brain peeling away from skull", it dehydrates, which is the last thing you need when dealing with a concussion. 

Interesting, didn't know that. Does that mean don't get drunk? Can I have a beer or two?

One thing that popped up in a Google search makes sense: you need to be attuned to how you're feeling and alcohol use could mask or distort any new symptoms that would be worrisome. Google is your friend. Good luck with everything. Take care of yourself during the recovery. You can have a beer to celebrate your full recovery.

I like this answer so much better.

That makes sense too. Google is great, but I know there are some people on here with concussions, or know someone who's been treated for one