The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

That right there is a dramatically different issue than the use of inclusive language.

But then you have the people that use inclusive language as an umbrella for anything and everything including calling it fat shaming when your Doctor tells you that 376 isn't a healthy weight.

And "first year" sounds a hell of a lot better than "freshperson", so there's that.

Another issue isn't so much the inclusive language, because it's not all that hard to add a few new words and phrases to the ole vocabulary. One issue is the jumping on people for slipping up and reverting to old terminology. Sure, some people are di*Ks and do it on purpose, but I feel like a lot of the time, it's just that the offending party didn't even think about it. They just said a word that they've always said and instead of being corrected politely, they are vilified immediately (because Twitter is such a civil place for a conversation). This makes that person pissy towards the "PC culture of these fruity snowflakes." Maybe this guy was a dick before this interaction...but, I hope you get my rambling, scattered, stuttering point.

Anyways, learning new terminology advances us as a species, right? I'm all for it.

Edited by ubkev

But then you have the people that use inclusive language as an umbrella for anything and everything including calling it fat shaming when your Doctor tells you that 376 isn't a healthy weight.

And "first year" sounds a hell of a lot better than "freshperson", so there's that.

Another issue isn't so much the inclusive language, because it's not all that hard to add a few new words and phrases to the ole vocabulary. One issue is the jumping on people for slipping up and reverting to old terminology. Sure, some people are di*Ks and do it on purpose, but I feel like a lot of the time, it's just that the offending party didn't even think about it. They just said a word that they've always said and instead of being corrected politely, they are vilified immediately (because Twitter is such a civil place for a conversation). This makes that person pissy towards the "PC culture of these fruity snowflakes." Maybe this guy was a dick before this interaction...but, I hope you get my rambling, scattered, stuttering point.

Anyways, learning new terminology advances us as a species, right? I'm all for it.

I got the impression Woody couldn't do it because of negative service reviews, not political correctness. Not that that's a good thing, but it is different.

And yea, some people have a tendency to knee-jerk judgments instead of politely correcting, and it doesn't help. On the flip side, there are people who flip out at polite corrections (I'm remembering more than a few JJ conversations here...).

Edit: In any event, Woody is being prevented from doing his job effectively. That's a problem. Most objections to language changes, however, don't face that issue. Most blowback is...I'll be nice and say less legitimate.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

As for the political correctness of it, I have a very hard time through text to get my viewpoint across, I sincerely don't think I am a dick (most of the time) and there is a lot of merit to what was said up thread about assimilating to the new times but having others jump on you with the first slip up, I actually believe that may be a big part of it. Some folks resist change, and others just aren't inherently good at doing it very quickly, I like to think that I'm of the latter.

But guys... I the Fn bills are in the playoffs!!!

That's probably far more a part of it than people realize / acknowledge. Totally unrelated to PC stuff, but caught myself calling the Czech Republic Czechoslovakia several times last week. It hasn't been called that in ~25 years but with being tired from life & driving in less than ideal weather was still calling it that (& typically catching it right after doing it). Nobody was going to make a big deal out of that mistake, but after that, can definitely see where people can make other mistakes similar to that innocently. Hopefully, if/when a mistake is pointed out, it's done so nonaccusatorially. Makes for a better conversation.

I think it's always useful to consider where and when someone was raised. There are wonderful gentlemen in their 70s and 80s who don't think twice about calling a young woman "honey" or "sweetheart." In the friendliest and kindest way, too. In a grandfatherly way. I'd never do it. Does it need to be a federal case? Should those guys be chastised?

Why are the Sabres practice jerseys sponsored? There's a patch with a Danforth logo on it. Seymour Knox is either rolling in his grave or saying to himself, "Why didn't we think of that?"

And what if he was cremated? What does one say? His cremains are flamin'? His ashes are flashin'? I've always kind of liked, His ash is grass.

Why are the Sabres practice jerseys sponsored? There's a patch with a Danforth logo on it. Seymour Knox is either rolling in his grave or saying to himself, "Why didn't we think of that?"

And what if he was cremated? What does one say? His cremains are flamin'? His ashes are flashin'? I've always kind of liked, His ash is grass.

Never understood the concept of graves. Even from a young age. I just didn't get it. I'm quite certain I'll be the only person in my entire family that doesn't waste money on a burial plot. They think I'm strange.

Never understood the concept of graves. Even from a young age. I just didn't get it. I'm quite certain I'll be the only person in my entire family that doesn't waste money on a burial plot. They think I'm strange.

I think about this a lot actually. Why even have cemeteries.

I can beat that. My parents were cremated -- and buried! I never got that, but my older brother made the call when my dad died and my mom went along. So, ya know, there would be a place for us to go and "visit" them. Never got that, either. Go sit in their favorite chair and chat a spell.

Sorry, kev, you'll be wasting money on cremation. The funeral directors caught on. Cremation is now pretty pricey, whereas it used to be under 1,000 bucks.

I can beat that. My parents were cremated -- and buried! I never got that, but my older brother made the call when my dad died and my mom went along. So, ya know, there would be a place for us to go and "visit" them. Never got that, either. Go sit in their favorite chair and chat a spell.

Sorry, kev, you'll be wasting money on cremation. The funeral directors caught on. Cremation is now pretty pricey, whereas it used to be under 1,000 bucks.

I'm donating my body to necrophiliacs.... it, what do I care?

You know they're going to, uh, bone you, right?

Give it a minute, you'll figure out what the censored word is.

And anyway, I've had a life insurance policy since I was 18. All that Shi* is paid for already.

Edited by ubkev

What I want to know is where are they putting everybody?

So many die and there isn't enough land to bury them all, right?  Even if they are burnt up and kept in a jar on the shelf. 

It doesn't add up, I say.

SOYLENT GREEN!!

I want my body dropped out of a plane over the Yukon Territory to be eaten by wolves.

I want my body dropped out of a plane over the Yukon Territory to be eaten by wolves.

Ah, the Canadian sky burial

I used to think burying me whole was the only way to go. I was young and still had more beliefs than logic, I think. Now I think about my grandparents, fully embalmed, in their excessively expensive caskets... and it seems worse than cremation in terms of slow decomp and honestly, more of a slow defiling than a natural process. I've been fascinated by forensic anthropology and such for many years now. I would want my body to go to science. Costs money, but I bet the students would have a good time with all my metal parts. 

Side thought. My parents recently moved out of our family home- 35 years in it. Every beloved pet we had who passed is buried in that garden, and something about them being there really bothers me. I know it's silly. But I think I'd be one of those weirdos that cremates her pet and has the ashes incorporated in a small sculpture or something. Especially as an apartment dweller now. 

I read something awhile back about a "green burial" movement. None of this embalming and burying you in a hermetically sealed box, just do a normal wood or canvas bag and done. There are concerns about all the embalming chemicals getting into the water table.

Ah, the Canadian sky burial

I used to think burying me whole was the only way to go. I was young and still had more beliefs than logic, I think. Now I think about my grandparents, fully embalmed, in their excessively expensive caskets... and it seems worse than cremation in terms of slow decomp and honestly, more of a slow defiling than a natural process. I've been fascinated by forensic anthropology and such for many years now. I would want my body to go to science. Costs money, but I bet the students would have a good time with all my metal parts.

Side thought. My parents recently moved out of our family home- 35 years in it. Every beloved pet we had who passed is buried in that garden, and something about them being there really bothers me. I know it's silly. But I think I'd be one of those weirdos that cremates her pet and has the ashes incorporated in a small sculpture or something. Especially as an apartment dweller now.

My brothers dogs are cremated, in nice (not expensive) urns? Tins? Whatever, with their collars wrapped around them. Very beautiful and incredibly sad! Save for one, he's in the desert in Vegas, like a f*king mob hit.

I read something awhile back about a "green burial" movement. None of this embalming and burying you in a hermetically sealed box, just do a normal wood or canvas bag and done. There are concerns about all the embalming chemicals getting into the water table.

Muslim burials are very green.

No embalming.  Wrapped in a cotton shroud and buried within 24 hours of passing.  Many in unmarked graves, but not all.

I'm not sure you can call it a green burial if they use embalming chemicals. Depending on the state though I think you have to get the body embalmed in order to have a viewing/wake whatever with the body present.

I should probably ask my older brother since he's a funeral director. He was originally licensed in New York and now works and lives in NC.

I plan on getting cremated. If I die before my better half she's going to get some of my ashes put into some sort of trinket she can wear or display (I can't remember). If she goes first I'm just gonna tell whomever takes care of it to throw my ashes in my back yard.

Edited by Alkoholist

Yeah at this rate I'd ask for donation to science and then cremation. Pop my ashes in one of these and create a nice place for birds to sh!t on people from. https://www.thelivingurn.com/pages/product

I was on the gardening part of amazon using up a gift card and kept coming upon those bio-pod tree things. Now this thread. Uh.. universe... are you trying to tell me something?

Edited by ABBA_älskare_69

Yeah at this rate I'd ask for donation to science and then cremation. Pop my ashes in one of these and create a nice place for birds to sh!t on people from. https://www.thelivingurn.com/pages/product

I was on the gardening part of amazon using up a gift card and kept coming upon those bio-pod tree things. Now this thread. Uh.. universe... are you trying to tell me something?

This is my wife’s wishes as well.

Me? I’ve been meaning to sign up for the body farm. Let those maggots go to town!