The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

Sometimes that's a cache issue. It is strange.

I like the E Wood tribute - very nice!

Yeah, I'm too lazy to clear my cache, bet that's the issue. Didn't think of it. 

Thanks! I painted him last night. Might as well shill since I'm here- I have prints for sale on my Etsy and am donating $5 from each sale of his portrait to the Eric Wood Fund at the Buffalo Children's Hospital Foundation. 

T8v9UpL.jpg

I moved to Oklahoma and, aside from this cute tiny place on Campus Corner, all of the pizza around is either Dominoes, Pizza Hut, or Papa Johns. They bought us Papa Johns every week for this thing we had to do as first year grad students. 

Despite all the stomach problems I was having, I was still able to eat pizza, it never phased me. And I love it so much. Then two weeks of two slices of Papa Johns each week, and that ###### has ruined pizza for me. It tasted awful and now no matter where I get pizza it ###### me up for days. ###### you Papa Johns, and ###### any food place outside of WNY.

You should check out Empire Slice House in OKC if it's anywhere close to you... hipster pizza, but really good stuff:

http://www.empireslicehouse.com/food/#pizza

About half my workplace decided to come to work with some sort of plague. I'm doing everything I can to avoid contracting their virus but we share too much space. It's inevitable but man why can't these selfish aholes stay home.

If you can manage to only get a little of everyone's virus then you can build up your immune system into a bad-a$$ super soldiers so you never get sick...

... or you manage to get the plague and we never see you again. Good luck man!

About half my workplace decided to come to work with some sort of plague. I'm doing everything I can to avoid contracting their virus but we share too much space. It's inevitable but man why can't these selfish aholes stay home.

I was selfish and *stayed home* when I got sick last week.

We both know the answer to that.

I'm salary, so when I stay home(1 time in the last 2 years) I still get paid. Oh wait, no I don't! They ding me for 8 hours of PTO because all the piece of sh!t people they hire.

I'll explain.

Jill puts in for a day off. Jill gets denied the day off. Jill calls in anyway and still gets paid. This goes on for 3 years and instead of firing Jill, and Jim and Sarah who all do the same , the decide to take our PTO every time we call in.

No, it's not a huge deal, because I get 28 days worth of PTO, but still. It's mine. I earned it by working my hours. Don't pay me when I call in. I got no beef with that. Just like the rest of the hourly employees. They don't get paid when they don't show up. Why should anyone else?

And I understand that most people, myself included can't afford to not show up to work.

Clearly performing Bohemian Rhapsody

I'm salary, so when I stay home(1 time in the last 2 years) I still get paid. Oh wait, no I don't! They ding me for 8 hours of PTO because all the piece of sh!t people they hire.

I'll explain.

Jill puts in for a day off. Jill gets denied the day off. Jill calls in anyway and still gets paid. This goes on for 3 years and instead of firing Jill, and Jim and Sarah who all do the same ######, the decide to take our PTO every time we call in.

No, it's not a huge deal, because I get 28 days worth of PTO, but still. It's mine. I earned it by working my hours. Don't pay me when I call in. I got no beef with that. Just like the rest of the hourly employees. They don't get paid when they don't show up. Why should anyone else?

And I understand that most people, myself included can't afford to not show up to work.

And there it is. That last line is the rub. Should I call in? Yes. But I'm hourly and need to pay the bills and don't want my PTO wasted on sick days.

Clearly performing Bohemian Rhapsody

And there it is. That last line is the rub. Should I call in? Yes. But I'm hourly and need to pay the bills and don't want my PTO wasted on sick days.

None of the people I'm referring to have to worry about not getting paid or using PTO.

At least when I was in an office I could huddle up in my corner and avoid the illness- I'd wash my hands endlessly and barely touch anything. My pet peeve is now that I'm a fitness instructor, we get plague ridden people shuffling in, hacking everywhere, "I have to take it easy tonight, I think I'm getting the flu". "I heard that a bit of exercise is good for the flu/cold/ebola" Yeah well, why don't you just go for a walk or something Stop spreading your pestilence, Janet. Now i have to lysol every fu*king surface in this place because WE ALL TOUCH THE SAME DAMN STUFF and it smells like hot sweaty sick people in here now.

And if one of us instructors catches it, there aren't enough of us to cover it and we can't really afford to cancel more than a class or two. I realize the irony, but I've definitely taught through being pretty damn sick. All because some idiot didn't want to miss out on her $15 drop in class that she only paid half for through Groupon, or some mom brought her patient zero drooly mouthed grubby handed snot nosed brat to the birthday party because "oh he's so sick but he didn't want to miss out on this". Kid proceeds to cough directly in my face. I then look up manslaughter laws in NY State. 

Freddie sighting!!

I thought that Jaws was never his scene and that he does not like Star Wars?

+++++

No matter who the city contracts to plow our street they are ALWAYS idiots.

We had a major (?) snow storm over night ... 20 cm ... 10+ inches for most if you.

The idiot went all the way up the street and left a huge mound (could not even snow blow it out) at the end of our driveway.  We have to wait until tomorrow (24 hours) to file an official complaint with the city, who will then file an official complaint with the idiot plower.

This is a positive step as our city grows ...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/cornwallis-statue-removal-1.4511858?autoplay=true

Edward Cornwallis, our city's founder, by most accounts was a scoundrel of the highest (lowest?) order.

Good stuff NS!  I didn't know about this guy.

But living here in Greensboro, NC, Cornwallis is a very familiar name in terms of street names, national parks, etc.  Your boy Eddie Cornwallis had a twin brother named Charles.  Charles was a big-time loser, also.

He got his ass handed to him by George Washington's men in the Revolutionary War.  Then he showed up in the Southern Colonies and fared no better.  Here's how things went in NC...

Cornwallis optimistically began to advance north into North Carolina while militia activity continued to harass the troops he left in South Carolina.[47] Attempts by Cornwallis to rally Loyalist support were dealt significant blows when a large gathering of them was defeated at Kings Mountain,[48]only a day's march from Cornwallis and his army,[49] and another large detachment of his army was decisively defeated at Cowpens.[50] He then clashed with the rebuilt Continental army under General Nathanael Greene at Guilford Court House in North Carolina, winning a Pyrrhic victory with a bayonet charge against a numerically superior enemy.[51] In the battle, he controversially ordered grape shot to be fired into a mass of combat that resulted in friendly casualties but helped break the American line.[52]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Cornwallis,_1st_Marquess_Cornwallis

p.s. Greensboro is named after Nathaniel Greene.

I didn't know gas mileage suffered in the wintertime.

Didn't know that either. Also, for the first 2 years I had my license, so until I was 20, I never turned the heat on in the winter. I thought heat used gas; AC used gas, so why wouldn't heat? Took until my buddy got into the car and asked why it was so damn cold in there to find out