Missing poster formation; the lost please check in

PASabreFan

Yeah that was an overreaction on my part.  I need a longer break than what I took.

Yes you do. Rest up.

FTR, I disagree that PA is one of the problems with this board. You might not like some of the discussion he generates, but that doesn't make it any less valid,… and at least he's generating discussion.

First, yes, I was gone permanently.  I had freaking had it with this board.  I notified some members via twitter that I was done. Some reasons are below.

But I had a long conversation with Scott today.  He convinced me to return for a bit.  There are reasons why I decided to leave and SOME but NOT ALL of them are below.

[.... EXCELLENT COMMENTARY REMOVED by LTS to shorten the quote... go read it above...]

But in the end, I really like most of you, and I'll miss you too much if I stay away.  So I'll try again.  But please, let's not all be ######.

And NS:  I will make a Christmas poem for you.

Eleven - You've got to do what you've got to do to enjoy life.  However, I would encourage you to stick around as I believe you bring immense value to the board.  Despite the musings of some and how they want to approach things I would hope that you could overlook that.  A lot of people enjoy your contributions and would hate to see them go away because of a few who might behave a certain way.  We're all guilty of being sucked into and commenting on things that don't sit well with us and absolutely knowing (even if its after the fact) that we should not have done it.  Let's all work on being better about it without "going away".  You took the time to make the excellent post on your thoughts.  You care about this place and you shouldn't let a few negative things get in the way of continuing to contribute.  Don't let the negative win.

Yes you do. Rest up.

FTR, I disagree that PA is one of the problems with this board. You might not like some of the discussion he generates, but that doesn't make it any less valid,… and at least he's generating discussion.

I think the issue is, and I am speaking for me, is not WHAT is brought up but more HOW it is brought up.  I think PA has contributed a lot to the conversations around here as well, but I find myself turned off by how it is stated.  And I don't want to single out PA here (although he was the subject) but I think that sentiment really holds true about a lot of us here (myself included).

For me it's about HOW we are addressing each other and working towards an understanding that's the problem.  It's not just here, on this forum either.  It's an epidemic across the Internet as we spend less time interacting personally and we increase our digital conversation we begin to move away from the empathy you get when you see a persons face.  What we don't always realize is that we aren't just anonymous avatars but rather we are community who share a common interest and even though we don't see each other we do interact with each other on a daily basis (or whatever frequency you visit). 

Earlier this season there was a massive interest in getting a group of people who were interested together and attend an actual game together.  People spent good money for that experience (me included) and I feel like that says a lot about where we are as a community.  

The politics of this country have turned many against each other.  I know family members who are no longer talking to each other because of it.  The Sabres are playing horrible hockey and we, as fans, are frustrated.  However, we have to be better than the politicians, the media, the Sabres front-office, and the NHL.... why allow those things to tear apart what is still a great place to have a discussion on the sport and team we root for (and some other things here and there?)

I'm not going all kumbaya here... you don't have to love each other, hell you don't have to respect each other, but if we can find a way to ignore the negativity and keep building in a positive way this place will get back to things like Storm Cloud and Kittens or whatever it was and we'll have a generally good time having a difference of opinion and even learning a few things as we go.

The challenge is on us to make this place better and we do that by making ourselves better.  Are we up to it?

My honest Christmas wish is that people stop talking about me and start talking about the Sabres, whiskey, movies or whatever. Seriously, enough is enough.

I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing since I joined, until SDS calls me home. In the meantime, put me on ignore. Stop spamming the board with these "meta" discussions. I created a fun Jeanneret trivia thread that could have gone on for weeks. There could have been a million RJ questions. Few were interested.

And the point of this thread was to check on the long-term missing. Heard from a few, which is nice.

I hate when threads are locked or deleted, and the mods (mod?) can just reverse it, but I'm getting close to shutting this one down.

I left last year after robobviously and I were only ones to see that Murray was the emperor with no clothing. GMTM is biggest fraud ever hoisted upon Buffalo. And that's a long list...

He gets a ton of undeserved hero worship but we've had way bigger frauds over the years. The current President over both of these shows is a good example (Russ Brandon). How that snake oil salesman keeps getting promotion after promotion while both teams perpetually spin their wheels without getting anywhere is a true travesty.

I was away for the holidays, mostly, and missed this dram.

Dram. Not like the actual word (a small dose). Say it like drahm. That's how my teenagers say it, bt dubs (they say that too (wait - they used to say that)).

Anyhow. It was good to see Eleven back.

I'll hold out hope for the return of some of the greats from back in the day (I joined right after Jay McKee's staph infection). And I'll join the chorus of those calling for there being a great deal more respect for Scott and the mods.

I'll also add that I don't understand, will never really understand, the process by which people become so agitated or angered by things that are being posted here by some that they feel they need to walk away -- like, forever. I've started using the ignore feature pretty regularly -- it does help, as PA notes. And when I feel myself getting irritated here, I just stop. I stop right there. Like everyone else here (well, I imagine), I have PLENTY of other stuff to do IRL. And then when I'm feeling better about the proposition, I come back and ignore the thread that irritated me.

Seems simple enough.

PA, <snip >You are one of the problems with this board.  You are not one of the solutions.

I know that, for Christmas, PA had asked for an end to meta discussions of his voice here. And a hippopotamus - he asked for one of those, too. But I want to dissent from this* as well.

PA's short story about Lindy is reason enough to stand with him. Full stop.

More recently, I've been humbled to have come around - in part, not fully - to PA's skepticism concerning the Pegulas. Mind you, there are aspects of the skepticism with which I know I will never concur - but a lot it has turned out to have real merit, or at least arguable merit. And that follows a period of time in which that skepticism was often characterized as a form of trolling.

Onward!

* The idea that PA is one of the board's problems -- not from the request for a hippopotamus for Christmas; I'm fully in favour of that.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Wait we got an ingnore option ? :D

Seriously this is a great board, don't get what all the fuss is about, some might have me on ingnore now, don't know.

But ignore buttons don't really solve much I think, its a bit childish even.

Edited by Huckleberry

Wait we got an ingnore option ? :D

Seriously this is a great board, don't get what all the fuss is about, some might have me on ingnore now, don't know.

But ignore buttons don't really solve much I think, its a bit childish even.

I have an ignore option... it's called self-control... it doesn't always work but that's on me. :)

• 2 weeks later...

He's not missing or lost, but the Sabres' mediocre season and, I'm sure, plenty of important things going on in real life, seem to have led to fewer dudacek posts than I ever remember. I see the name dudacek and a bunch of words underneath, and all I want to do is make some tea and get cozy and read what follows for hours.His posts are always structured in a way that is very easy on the eyes, as well. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.