Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

My "care meter" about the Bills and football in general is about 1.15 on a scale of 1-5. But I got a notification from The Score today that Pegula held a presser to ensure fans there isn't any rift between Whaley and the new head coach. 

If there is even a rumor of this, why would there be a rift between the GM and a brand new head coach, unless the owner is the one doing the hiring? Is this more proof that Pegula might be the one doing the hiring?

My "care meter" about the Bills and football in general is about 1.15 on a scale of 1-5. But I got a notification from The Score today that Pegula held a presser to ensure fans there isn't any rift between Whaley and the new head coach. 

If there is even a rumor of this, why would there be a rift between the GM and a brand new head coach, unless the owner is the one doing the hiring? Is this more proof that Pegula might be the one doing the hiring?

Of course Terry did the hiring. The other nugget to come out of that is that deciding who to draft at 10 will be a group effort. That means Terry will help decide, something he is not qualified to do in any way.

This quote kind of says it all. Whaley is a parenthetical figure at One Bills Drive.

"It's a lot simpler to have one spokesperson for the organization," Pegula said Tuesday. "When we sat in the coaching interviews this last go-round, we talked to all of the candidates, and one of the things we were interested in -- and Doug was in those meetings -- was we wanted a coach who could be the face of our organization and could step into that role."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19027304/buffalo-bills-owner-terry-pegula-disputes-reported-friction-sean-mcdermott-gm-doug-whaley

Nice that he was in the meetings. He was the one who supposed to be doing the hiring.

I believe that Pegula is heavily involved with the Bills' personnel decisions and peripherally involved with the Sabres' personnel decisions, and I think this has been reported, as well.

Pegula fired Rex without Whaley even knowing it. Pretty obvious he's heavily involved

Yep. Not to mention Pegula introducing the new coach. That's when he talked about the new guy being a man of faith and how impressive Terry found that and his wrestling background to be. That's why I don't understand the fire Whaley crowd. What decisions can you really place on him if he doesn't pick the coach or decide what players to draft? About the only thing he seems to be responsible for are trades and he's done pretty well on that front (trading up for Watkins seems to be a mistake but trading for McCoy has paid off in spades and so was trading for Hughes). I doubt he negotiates contracts since we have some Ralph era holdover lawyer guy who does that. Whaley seems to be a yes man and it's not like the Pegulas are going to hire a replacement that will tell them to back off, so what's the point of firing Whaley just to replace him with another figure head GM who gets all the most important decisions made for him anyway?

Edited by Drunkard

I only caught a brief bit of Pegula's interview at the owners' meeting on the radio. No context at all. But I almost got the impression that his voice matters at the NFL draft. Is this true? Does he weigh in on players and help make the selection? 

Eleven posted somewhere here that it's been reported as fact that Pegula is (directly? heavily?) involved with personnel decisions for the Bills, and somewhat so involved for the Sabres.

There was no link, though. He recalled Tweets.

My working sense, fwiw, is that, yes - Pegula involves himself in a substantial way when it comes to who's being selected, signed, etc., especially insofar as the Bills are concerned.

Eleven posted somewhere here that it's been reported as fact that Pegula is (directly? heavily?) involved with personnel decisions for the Bills, and somewhat so involved for the Sabres.

My working sense, fwiw, is that, yes - Pegula involves himself in a substantial way when it comes to who's being selected, signed, etc., especially insofar as the Bills are concerned.

That is horrific news. 

I'm not buying it.   Pegula stated that when he bought the team he was going to stay out of the day-to-day personnel decisions.    That said, every owner in every sport has a say when offering big long term contracts.

I'm not buying it.   Pegula stated that when he bought the team he was going to stay out of the day-to-day personnel decisions.    That said, every owner in every sport has a say when offering big long term contracts.

I wish I had the audio, but I don't even remember what show I was listening to, so I can't go into the audio vault. But Terry was talking about deciding things on draft day and how some guys might have stronger opinions than others that help make the decisions on who to draft, and he was using "WE" as if he was also one of the guys making the decision on the player to pick. 

Again, this was a brief stretch of radio so i might be missing something. 

The evidence doesn't seem to support you. Before the sale of the team was even finalized it was reported that Pegula submitted a list of players to Regier through Golisano that were on his don't touch list since the trade deadline was approaching. Then there was the tweet from the Pegula daughter where she let it slip that her Dad was really high on Ehrhoff so I doubt it's a coincidence that we signed him to a 10 year deal that summer. I remember Darcy explicitly stating that the extent of the rebuild would also be determined by ownership which you can logically assume means that Pegula was picking and choosing which members of the old core should be jettisoned. I remember hearing rumors about them making Vanek the highest paid player in the NHL before he must have told them he wanted to pursue free agency and was traded to the Islanders. Imagine how f'd we'd be right now if we were stuck paying that guy $9 million a year for close to a decade.

Pegula is definitely a hands on owner. I hope he learns over time to hire experts and trust them to get the job done.

Edited by Drunkard

I wish I had the audio, but I don't even remember what show I was listening to, so I can't go into the audio vault. But Terry was talking about deciding things on draft day and how some guys might have stronger opinions than others that help make the decisions on who to draft, and he was using "WE" as if he was also one of the guys making the decision on the player to pick. 

Agreed with the confusion on this quote. At some point someone has to have the final say on who's opinion they're going to go with. Is it Pegula's call? Russ?

Pushing further the agenda of unity at One Bills Drive, Pegula said when it comes time to pick players in the draft, “It's going to be a group effort. It's just like everything else most businesses do in their life. If somebody feels more strongly about something than somebody else, then maybe you lean in that direction.”  

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2017/03/29/terry-pegula-says-mcdermott-and-whaley-get-along-and-new-stadium-can-wait/99777632/
Edited by Lanny

Pushing further the agenda of unity at One Bills Drive, Pegula said when it comes time to pick players in the draft, “It's going to be a group effort. It's just like everything else most businesses do in their life. If somebody feels more strongly about something than somebody else, then maybe you lean in that direction.”  

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2017/03/29/terry-pegula-says-mcdermott-and-whaley-get-along-and-new-stadium-can-wait/99777632/

I agree with TP. If I say both guys are good, maybe player a has the slight edge and the guy next to me says no, player B has the x factor that I saw in other late round picks we have to go for player B. Then yeah, the strong opinion of player B probably means you pick him.

People like to have this idea TP meddles and take all quotes to mean that. I'm sure he does a bit - more than other owners? Probably not. He is also the owner, so really in my mind he can do what he wants with the team. After all, he is the one who has to pay for poor business decisions.

I agree with TP. If I say both guys are good, maybe player a has the slight edge and the guy next to me says no, player B has the x factor that I saw in other late round picks we have to go for player B. Then yeah, the strong opinion of player B probably means you pick him.

People like to have this idea TP meddles and take all quotes to mean that. I'm sure he does a bit - more than other owners? Probably not. He is also the owner, so really in my mind he can do what he wants with the team. After all, he is the one who has to pay for poor business decisions.

I don't have an issue with your first paragraph at all - while listening I was under the impression that he is a part of the small group making football/scouting decisions about football players. This is bad for the team because Terry does not understand football at the level of the guys that are supposed to make these decisions. Whether other owners do it or not, I do NOT want Terry taking any part in decisions like this. Does he help decide the inactive lists, too? Does he help make/call plays? I had no idea there was any chance he was doing things like picking players in the draft. 

I don't have an issue with your first paragraph at all - while listening I was under the impression that he is a part of the small group making football/scouting decisions about football players. This is bad for the team because Terry does not understand football at the level of the guys that are supposed to make these decisions. Whether other owners do it or not, I do NOT want Terry taking any part in decisions like this. Does he help decide the inactive lists, too? Does he help make/call plays? I had no idea there was any chance he was doing things like picking players in the draft. 

Got a few spare million? :p

No I don't like it at all. I just struggle to rationalise why they shouldn't get to play with the toy they own. In reality the GM should be able to stand up to the owner in a tactful way. If they are suggesting a poor decision then the GM or scouts should be able to show them tape and point out the parts of the players games that they think are worries and will hold them back and hopefully show evidence of other players from other drafts who had similar flaws and didn't pan out.

Waste of resources? Yup, but it shouldn't take too long if the owner is reasonable and their head is not stuck too far up their ass.

I've posted that I RECALL that it was reported as such.

My recollection is imperfect, but I really do remember this.