Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

the strength of coaching is to be able to recognize each player's individual strengths and play them to those areas. Also, by allowing players to play to those strengths and excel at whatever it is they can it allows the players to play with confidence and also, as we see with the leafs, Babs is getting a ton of mileage out of different players and has just about all of them playing over their heads (see Kadri). When as the last time ANY Sabres played over their head? I simply cannot remember even when Lindy was here. I heard the Oiler coach (who I have never liked ) going on last night about how wonderful McDavid is  and raving about him in general...when was the last time a coach raved about Eichel or any player here for that matter? The difference is day and night....also, I do think if Jack was never hurt this team would be up there with the Leafs battling for a playoff spot. we tend to forget that this team missed Jack for a big chuck of the first half and we also have had numerous other injuries that have obviously hurt this team. I think the combination of a new coach who brings a fresh and confidence-inspiring  outlook and maybe a few less injuries next year wil make in itself a huge difference   

the strength of coaching is to be able to recognize each player's individual strengths and play them to those areas. Also, by allowing players to play to those strengths and excel at whatever it is they can it allows the players to play with confidence and also, as we see with the leafs, Babs is getting a ton of mileage out of different players and has just about all of them playing over their heads (see Kadri). When as the last time ANY Sabres played over their head? I simply cannot remember even when Lindy was here. I heard the Oiler coach (who I have never liked ) going on last night about how wonderful McDavid is and raving about him in general...when was the last time a coach raved about Eichel or any player here for that matter? The difference is day and night....also, I do think if Jack was never hurt this team would be up there with the Leafs battling for a playoff spot. we tend to forget that this team missed Jack for a big chuck of the first half and we also have had numerous other injuries that have obviously hurt this team. I think the combination of a new coach who brings a fresh and confidence-inspiring outlook and maybe a few less injuries next year wil make in itself a huge difference

Alex Mogilny when he scored 77 goals? Probably could have had 100 if he was better on breakaways...his only move was slipping it backhand through the 5 hole...

Edited by matter2003

the strength of coaching is to be able to recognize each player's individual strengths and play them to those areas. Also, by allowing players to play to those strengths and excel at whatever it is they can it allows the players to play with confidence and also, as we see with the leafs, Babs is getting a ton of mileage out of different players and has just about all of them playing over their heads (see Kadri). When as the last time ANY Sabres played over their head? I simply cannot remember even when Lindy was here. I heard the Oiler coach (who I have never liked ) going on last night about how wonderful McDavid is  and raving about him in general...when was the last time a coach raved about Eichel or any player here for that matter? The difference is day and night....also, I do think if Jack was never hurt this team would be up there with the Leafs battling for a playoff spot. we tend to forget that this team missed Jack for a big chuck of the first half and we also have had numerous other injuries that have obviously hurt this team. I think the combination of a new coach who brings a fresh and confidence-inspiring  outlook and maybe a few less injuries next year wil make in itself a huge difference   

Marc Andre Gragnani played well above his pay-grade for an extended period. McGinn a couple years ago. Cy Hgsn had 44 points during the first tank year.

Marc Andre Gragnani played well above his pay-grade for an extended period. McGinn a couple years ago. Cy Hgsn had 44 points during the first tank year.

McGinn didn't play well above what he was capable of...the dude has been a 17-23 goal scorer most of his career.  Points sometimes are simply the result of more ice time...someone has to get them after all...if you pass the puck to someone who passes to someone who makes a play, you didn't really have much to do with it, but you get a secondary assist. And who the hell is Cy Hsgn?

Edited by matter2003

McGinn didn't play well above what he was capable of...the dude has been a 17-23 goal scorer most of his career. Points sometimes are simply the result of more ice time...someone has to get them after all...if you pass the puck to someone who passes to someone who makes a play, you didn't really have much to do with it, but you get a secondary assist. And who the hell is Cy Hsgn?

Cody Hodgson but he didn't have any O or D to speak of...

One could say Ennis player over his head and is now performing as expected except that I wonder if the coaching is holding him (and others) back...and really...Cody Hodgson??????????????

Edited by Sabre fan

'But Bylsma won a Cup...'

Well, here's what he did every other year he coached Pittsburgh

101 points, 2nd round exit

106 points, 1st round exit

108 points, 1st round exit

72 points (lockout), ECF exit

109 points, 2nd round exit

Well, at least he's consistent.

Meanwhile, Sullivan should win the Adams trophy. Something Bylsma, miraculously, never managed to do

http://thehockeywriters.com/mike-sullivan-jack-adams-conversation/

Edited by WildCard

Gerbe.. out of necessity.

'But Bylsma won a Cup...'

Well, here's what he did every other year he coached Pittsburgh

101 points, 2nd round exit

106 points, 1st round exit

108 points, 1st round exit

72 points (lockout), ECF exit

109 points, 2nd round exit

Well, at least he's consistent.

Meanwhile, Sullivan should win the Adams trophy. Something Bylsma, miraculously, never managed to do

http://thehockeywriters.com/mike-sullivan-jack-adams-conversation/

That argument never works with me in the abstract.  WHY were there early playoff exits, is the question.  Was it matchups (2010 Sabres-Bruins comes to mind)?  Was it because his teams hated him?  Was it because his system sux?

That argument never works with me in the abstract.  WHY were there early playoff exits, is the question.  Was it matchups (2010 Sabres-Bruins comes to mind)?  Was it because his teams hated him?  Was it because his system sux?

Goaltending.

Sure, I can write off 1/2 of those. But 4/6 years he never made it past the 2nd round. 

Lost in 7 to Montreal

Lost in 7 to Tampa

Lost in 6 to Philly

Swept by Boston

Lost in 7 to NYR

That is an odd, odd pattern to have. Wanna talk about mental weakness of a team? That should scream out at you

BTW, we have nearly 40 less goals than the Leafs. I'm begging for someone to explain that one outside of Babcock vs Byslma

BTW, we have nearly 40 less goals than the Leafs. I'm begging for someone to explain that one outside of Babcock vs Byslma

Subtract the first 20 games of the season and what is the difference?

Haven't looked at the Leafs, but the Sabres have mostly been a top 10 offence since Jack game back.

Haven't looked at the Leafs, but the Sabres have mostly been a top 10 offence since Jack game back.

Before

GF/60 => 1.93 (23rd)

GA/60 => 2.34

After

GF/60 => 2.10 (21st) 

GA/60 => 2.52

So, no difference really. That's not even getting into Corsi, scoring chances, or expected goals for / chances

Edited by WildCard

Before

GF/60 => 1.93 (23rd)

GA/60 => 2.34

After

GF/60 => 2.10 (21st)

GA/60 => 2.52

So, no difference really. That's not even getting into Corsi, scoring chances, or expected goals for / chances

Yup. We're scoring more because our PP is deadly (and wouldn't surprise me if we're drawing more penalties with Jack back). But we're not winning much more because we're a even strength team, and we're going to remain that way until there's a coaching change.

Yup. We're scoring more because our PP is deadly (and wouldn't surprise me if we're drawing more penalties with Jack back). But we're not winning much more because we're a ###### even strength team, and we're going to remain that way until there's a coaching change.

It's so nice out but later tonight I want to go back and dig up the Byslma Pens' teams stats and see if my suspicions are confirmed 

Spoiler alert

They're not :lol:

Edited by WildCard

To me, it wasn't so much Jack being injured, as much as it was Dan's super conservative system to not lose by much that made those games even worse.

To me, it wasn't so much Jack being injured, as much as it was Dan's super conservative system to not lose by much that made those games even worse.

That's exactly what I thought.

Surprised with those numbers Card. We must have really fallen.

We were 8th in offence when I looked a month ago.

ill be open to him returning next year if he agrees that he has to simplify his system. I believe this is what Tortorella did this past summer with his coaching style.

One thing Tortorella has changed for the Blue Jackets this season is doing away with morning skates. In an interview with NHL.com, Tortorella talked about allowing players to play and not over-coaching them.

"(Players) get on the ice and they can't think straight because there's so much information," Tortorella told Tim Campbell. "I think that's one of the biggest adjustments all coaches are making now, including me, is to let them play. Give them a foundation but let them play and get out of their way.

"But if it's the same mistake and it is constant and if it's something you can control through laziness and just not the will to play, that's part of my job to lean on them that way. It's ever-changing. We're just trying to go about our business."

if Torts can change, Bylsma can too.  I hate seeing a coaching carousel.

Though the exist interviews with Murray and the team leaders (Eichel, ROR, etc) could doom him.

One could say Ennis player over his head and is now performing as expected except that I wonder if the coaching is holding him (and others) back...and really...Cody Hodgson??????????????

No, Ennis is in Tim Connolly territory....a player who was on the cusp of becoming a star that got a very bad concussion and never was anything close to the same player again.  Ennis was a first round pick.  He was doing what he was supposed to do, if that....he has never had more than 49 points in a season...that constitures "over producing" as a first round pick these days??

Edited by matter2003