Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

wearing out OReilly and Risto and not showing any faith in most anybody else and treating them like babies is no way to get the best out of any lineup...no wonder he failed in Pittsburg and is failing here...Babs does the opposite...allows players to play to their strengths and shows lots of confidence in them and it shows on the ice both in detroit for so long and now Toronto...the Leafs would not be where they are if we had got babs instead like we should have  

Sorry, anti-Bylsmites, but Jerry nailed it. Something about the sins of the father franchise are the sins of the son...

Pegula has employed a combined eight head coaches on the Bills and Sabres since coming to Buffalo, if you count Anthony Lynn's game. Firing another one, so soon after jettisoning Rex Ryan, would be a very bad look. It would darken the cloud of dysfunction over the enterprise, and make it look like the players got their way.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/03/31/sullys-mailbag-whose-seat-hotter-bylsma-whaley/

Keeping a bad coach looks worse than firing multiple bad coaches in rapid succession.

Do you think the "NFL stage" that Terry is operating on, or the sports world in general, knows Thing 1 about Dan Bylsma and the job he is doing. The perception problem is real.

Do you think the "NFL stage" that Terry is operating on, or the sports world in general, knows Thing 1 about Dan Bylsma and the job he is doing. The perception problem is real.

Well, national writers have picked up recently on not all being well in Buffalo, and questions have been asked about Bylsma's future. Would a few eyebrows get raised if he were canned? Possibly. Probably, even? Maybe.

However! If we keep Bylsma and disappoint again (even if, maybe especially if, he's fired 25 games in), that image would look worse than simply firing him after this season and being much improved on the ice next season. I can see the hot takes now: "If he was only going to get 20 games, why bring him back at all? Obviously shows little confidence in him." And imagine if the firing comes too late to make the playoffs? Talk about negative perceptions.

The league respects winning. Any questions that get asked about firing Bylsma prematurely, or not giving him a fair chance with a better roster, will disappear and be forgotten (you might even get a few "boy was I wrong" articles later in the year) if the team is much improved on the ice. So why care about those questions in the first place?

Firing Dan a couple days after the season ends is the right move.

Firing him in late November is much more likely.

Just seems to be the way things work in the NHL in these situations.

Edited by dudacek

If Dan were fired 20-25 games in it means we were dreadfully bad and at that point we are playing catchup for the remainder of the season. Not how I envision a successful campaign. The seasons a writeoff before it even gets started.

Firing Dan a couple days after the season ends is the right move.

Firing him in late November is much more likely.

Just seems to be the way things work in the NHL in these situations.

So if this team is playing well and in a playoff spot for the first half of the season we can put this thread to bed.

Again, be better than the playoffs. Making the playoffs isn't an accomplishment in a league where over half the team make it

It certainly would be an accomplishment for the Sabres after all these years.  I would take a squeak into the 8th seed and a first round sweep, as it would show real progress.

It certainly would be an accomplishment for the Sabres after all these years. I would take a squeak into the 8th seed and a first round sweep, as it would show real progress.

I disagree. It'd be the difference of winning 5 more games. Luck alone can do that

It certainly would be an accomplishment for the Sabres after all these years. I would take a squeak into the 8th seed and a first round sweep, as it would show real progress.

Happy with merely making the playoffs? No wonder you're fine with just keeping Bylsma around :p

Sigh not how I define an improving team.

Yes it is. Making the playoffs when you haven't for over 5 years is progress. Realistically we aren't going to win the cup the first year we make the playoffs, but making them vs not will be a big start - if only to feel like something has been achieved. This team has not made progress in one year of a rebuild. That is absolutely awful - they are far closer to becoming the new Edmonton than the new Chicago or Pittsburgh. In one less year, Toronto may finish 20 point ahead of us. That is a huge difference.

I will never understand the notion that after 2 years of DFL and then 2 years of tiny improvement and after missing the playoffs 6 years in a row making the playoffs, even barely, is not a big improvement.

tbf I just posted why it wouldn't be ;) Edited by WildCard

I will never understand the notion that after 2 years of DFL and then 2 years of tiny improvement and after missing the playoffs 6 years in a row making the playoffs, even barely, is not a big improvement.

There has really been no improvement this year...it's been stagnant.  When you have a young, talented team and you are stagnant already after only a year, there is a serious, serious problem somewhere.

It certainly would be an accomplishment for the Sabres after all these years.  I would take a squeak into the 8th seed and a first round sweep, as it would show real progress.

THIS year, that was an option & what the worst case scenario should've been. Unfortunately, between injuries & being Bylsma'd, that was a bar this squad couldn't reach.

This was THE most disappointing Sabres season ever. #### Dan. He needs to go yesterday.

WildCard, what is happening in that Twitter video?

Whoever that coach is is drawing up a play during the timeout. Bylsma comes over, says something about it, and shakes his head in disagreement to the plan. It's supposed to show that even the coaches aren't on the same page.