Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

Pegula fired Rex without Whaley even knowing it. Pretty obvious he's heavily involved

I don't think so.

Did Pegula fire Rex without getting input from Whaley? Probably, and rightfully so. Rex was not winning, and also embarrassing the franchise with his big mouth. It's the Pegula's responsibility to protect their brand. Winning cures everything, but when you don't win, you don't have to stand for the side stuff that was making this franchise a joke. They do plenty on their own, they didn't need a loud mouth like Rex to come along and make it worse, with his brother riding bicycles on commercials.

They hired Rex because he was a "big name" and a guy who might've brought credibility to the organization, and it didn't work out. I give them credit for pulling the plug and not waiting to see if it will turn around. I just don't think there was anything Whaley could've said to change their minds.

As for the Sabres, what evidence is there to suggest Pegula's are connected? Because they sit in the war room on trade deadline day? Or because they have a seat at the draft day table? I think you're really into conspiracy's if you truly believe the scouts their their input in a meeting to Murray, and then Pegula grabs a notebook and gives him his opinion on who to trade for or sign?

Murray interviewed Bylsma before we even interviewed Babcock, to try to cover their bases incase Babcock didn't work out.

The only time Pegula had a true hand on what the Sabres were going to do, is when he was at that dinner party and met with Pat LaFontaine and they discussed all things hockey and Sabres and it really opened Pegula's eyes that they're much farther from success then he could ever imagine and Pegula did what literally 98% of the fanbase was hoping for at that point of time... fire Darcy.

I don't think so.

Did Pegula fire Rex without getting input from Whaley? Probably, and rightfully so. Rex was not winning, and also embarrassing the franchise with his big mouth. It's the Pegula's responsibility to protect their brand. Winning cures everything, but when you don't win, you don't have to stand for the side stuff that was making this franchise a joke. They do plenty on their own, they didn't need a loud mouth like Rex to come along and make it worse, with his brother riding bicycles on commercials.

They hired Rex because he was a "big name" and a guy who might've brought credibility to the organization, and it didn't work out. I give them credit for pulling the plug and not waiting to see if it will turn around. I just don't think there was anything Whaley could've said to change their minds.

As for the Sabres, what evidence is there to suggest Pegula's are connected? Because they sit in the war room on trade deadline day? Or because they have a seat at the draft day table? I think you're really into conspiracy's if you truly believe the scouts their their input in a meeting to Murray, and then Pegula grabs a notebook and gives him his opinion on who to trade for or sign?

Murray interviewed Bylsma before we even interviewed Babcock, to try to cover their bases incase Babcock didn't work out.

The only time Pegula had a true hand on what the Sabres were going to do, is when he was at that dinner party and met with Pat LaFontaine and they discussed all things hockey and Sabres and it really opened Pegula's eyes that they're much farther from success then he could ever imagine and Pegula did what literally 98% of the fanbase was hoping for at that point of time... fire Darcy.

1) It's Russ Brandon's responsibility to protect the brand. And it's widely known that Pegula wanted Rex while Whaley was interviewing others such as Todd Bowels 

2) Give them credit for what? Overruling the guy who they hired to make these decisions, then pulling the rug out from under him and firing him behind his back because they messed up on it? It's ###### garbage

3) I'm not going to argue it because it's been reported a dozen times; Pegula hired Rex, and Pegula fired Rex. You said it yourself, they hired Rex because he was a big name that might bring credibility to the organization. Sound familiar? That's exactly what the Byslma hire was

4) So what? He interviewed the guy, big whoop. He interviewed plenty of other guys too

5) ######. Pegula has had his hands in both franchises since day 1. And, credit to some of the posters like PA on this board, they ###### called it.

Edited by WildCard

1) It's Russ Brandon's responsibility to protect the brand. And it's widely known that Pegula wanted Rex while Whaley was interviewing others such as Todd Bowels 

2) Give them credit for what? Overruling the guy who they hired to make these decisions, then pulling the rug out from under him and firing him behind his back because they messed up on it? It's ###### garbage

3) I'm not going to argue it because it's been reported a dozen times; Pegula hired Rex, and Pegula fired Rex. You said it yourself, they hired Rex because he was a big name that might bring credibility to the organization. Sound familiar? That's exactly what the Byslma hire was

4) So what? He interviewed the guy, big whoop. He interviewed plenty of other guys too

5) ######. Pegula has had his hands in both franchises since day 1. And, credit to some of the posters like PA on this board, they ###### called it.

You're speculating a lot here. Pegula has his hands on the teams, of course, he owns them. Is it more or less then most owners in sports? I don't know. But how far do you think he goes? He told them to trade for Kane? Told them not to draft Samsonov in the first round and trade for a goalie? He told them to bring back Moulson?

Don't be so gullible. I get it, losing sucks. And everything seems so complicated when you lose.

You're speculating a lot here. Pegula has his hands on the teams, of course, he owns them. Is it more or less then most owners in sports? I don't know. But how far do you think he goes? He told them to trade for Kane? Told them not to draft Samsonov in the first round and trade for a goalie? He told them to bring back Moulson?

Don't be so gullible. I get it, losing sucks. And everything seems so complicated when you lose.

I'm not saying he told to trade or draft for anyone. My problem isn't with this roster, my problem is with this head coach. And it's not speculating anything, it's been reported that Pegula hired and fired Rex, and likely hired McDermott (or whatever the his name is). Seems pretty clear he hired Byslma too. Same reasons, same term, same situation. 

It's not complicated at all. Our owner is directly responsible for choosing the head coaches of his teams, and they're terrible decisions

I'm not saying he told to trade or draft for anyone. My problem isn't with this roster, my problem is with this head coach. And it's not speculating anything, it's been reported that Pegula hired and fired Rex, and likely hired McDermott (or whatever the ###### his name is). Seems pretty clear he hired Byslma too. Same reasons, same term, same situation. 

It's not complicated at all. Our owner is directly responsible for choosing the head coaches of his teams, and they're terrible decisions

The Rex hiring/firing i think we all agree with. That one was pretty obvious.

The McDermott hiring.... is it possible that when Whaley brought him in for interviews and to meet the Pegula's that they fell in love with him and ultimately they decided to hire him? Sure, i could get behind that logic. But if you are telling me they went out and researched and came up with him, and brought him to Whaley's attention, then i dunno, i guess we'll agree to disagree. Unless Tim Graham writes it, no way would i believe that no matter who Whaley found, they were gonna force him to hiring him. 

Also, i don't see the link with Bylsma? Unless i'm remembering wrong, Bylsma was the hot coaching candidate besides Babcock, big into advanced stats and spend his entire off time studying the new advanced stats and such and how they work, and also spend time with USA at the World Championships with Eichel. Murray interviewed Bylsma, then they all moved on to Babcock and after Babcock ditched us for Toronto, it was when they brought Bylsma to Buffalo to meet with the Pegulas. I don't see why you would say Pegula had a hand in that hire?

I've posted that I RECALL that it was reported as such.

My recollection is imperfect, but I really do remember this.

Duly noted.

With all the water under the bridge, my working sense is that Terry is actively involved with Bills' personnel, but generally defers to his experts, and is more lightly involved with the Sabres' personnel and more fully entrusts such matters to GM TM and co.

Because foobaw and the Bills were always his true object of affection anyway. (H/t PA.)

Let's face it, Pegula's hired Disco Dan after being rejected by Babcock after he (Babcock) gave a gentleman's handshake he'd come to Buffalo). terry was (with reason) angry and bitter and went out and landed the next "big fish" after Babs, thinking Blysma would be all that ails the Sabres. The truth is, babs has the Laughs (I mean leafs) playing with something Blysma has no clue about...confidence. ANY player on any team anywhere will only play up to what he has been led to believe or think the team feels about him (or her..I coached girls hockey for many years as well as boys). Babs has a way of making any player feel good about themselves by using them only in the role and at the times they merit. Blysma is trying to get the whole team to play one way and by doing that making many players play against what hey have always done and what they have always been good at and as the old saying goes, you can' teach an old dog new tricks. Simply, asking offensive-minded players to play defense first is great in theory but absolutely the recipe for disaster as we have seen. A great offensive player can still chip in defensively but o expect him to put D before O and to make them afraid to be themselves and do what comes naturally is not going to work everytime. Babs had Detroit playing with that confidence and swagger and no the Leafs...the results show. He makes these players believe in themselves and feel good about themselves. I know many argue that they are paid huge sums of moolah and should not have to have their egos stroked or made to feel good about themselves but he truth any player plays a mile better when playing with confidence and a swagger...putting down young players and criticizing them as we have seen constantly with Jack is the negative way of coaching, something other coaches have tried too with little or no success (see Mike keenan). When dealing with young egos one needs to mke them feel good about themselves which is clearly something Blysma has no ides about...    

Here's a mind-bender. If owning a sports team gives you the right to play with it — hey, it's yours, enjoy, you've earned it! — and almost in some eyes the obligation to meddle (it's your brand, after all), then why is there no apparent involvement by the Pegulas in the Bandits? Is it because they know they know nothing about lacrosse? Or do they not care? (Or do they meddle, but no one talks about it? Or perhaps people are talking about it and I don't hear it. Is there an OHBanditsFan on a Bandits message board doing what I'm doing?)

Edited by PASabreFan

Here's a mind-bender. If owning a sports team gives you the right to play with it — hey, it's yours, enjoy, you've earned it! — and almost in some eyes the obligation to meddle (it's your brand, after all), then why is there no apparent involvement by the Pegulas in the Bandits? Is it because they know they know nothing about lacrosse? Or do they not care? (Or do they meddle, but no one talks about it? Or perhaps people are talking about it and I don't hear it. Is there an OHBanditsFan on a Bandits message board doing what I'm doing?)

No clue since I don't follow Lacrosse but I started a thread about this a few weeks or months ago and somebody familiar with the team said they've been in the toilet lately too. Maybe Terry just started to meddle before it happened, ha ha!

Disclaimer: Personally, I doubt they do much with them. No offense to the fans but the Bandits are small potatoes compared to the Sabres, just like the Sabres are small potatoes compared to the Bills. I doubt they are on the Pegula's radar much at all. Especially since they don't have their own arena that would need funding or renovations.

Let's face it, Pegula's hired Disco Dan after being rejected by Babcock after he (Babcock) gave a gentleman's handshake he'd come to Buffalo). terry was (with reason) angry and bitter and went out and landed the next "big fish" after Babs, thinking Blysma would be all that ails the Sabres. The truth is, babs has the Laughs (I mean leafs) playing with something Blysma has no clue about...confidence. ANY player on any team anywhere will only play up to what he has been led to believe or think the team feels about him (or her..I coached girls hockey for many years as well as boys). Babs has a way of making any player feel good about themselves by using them only in the role and at the times they merit. Blysma is trying to get the whole team to play one way and by doing that making many players play against what hey have always done and what they have always been good at and as the old saying goes, you can' teach an old dog new tricks. Simply, asking offensive-minded players to play defense first is great in theory but absolutely the recipe for disaster as we have seen. A great offensive player can still chip in defensively but o expect him to put D before O and to make them afraid to be themselves and do what comes naturally is not going to work everytime. Babs had Detroit playing with that confidence and swagger and no the Leafs...the results show. He makes these players believe in themselves and feel good about themselves. I know many argue that they are paid huge sums of moolah and should not have to have their egos stroked or made to feel good about themselves but he truth any player plays a mile better when playing with confidence and a swagger...putting down young players and criticizing them as we have seen constantly with Jack is the negative way of coaching, something other coaches have tried too with little or no success (see Mike keenan). When dealing with young egos one needs to mke them feel good about themselves which is clearly something Blysma has no ides about...

A confident, happy, and well utilized employee performs better and is more productive than one that is not. Just because you're suddenly a pro athlete doesn't mean you cease to be human. Doesn't matter if you're working at McDonalds or in the upper offices of Goldman Sachs, if you love your bosses and your work environment, you will work 10x harder.

People invest in bosses that invest and care about them. Watch any interview with DD. He doesn't look like he's emotionally invested in these guys and this team. He might be, but he doesn't convey it at all. How long can you give your all to someone that you feel doesn't honestly give a damn about you? How often could you go to work for someone that uses you wrong and watched you fail over and over in a position that you're not set up for before you go home at night feeling like a failure?

That's how a culture of losing sets in. You lose and rather than being inspired and learning from the mistake you retreat into yourself. It takes a special leader to be able to pull you out of that. DD is not that special leader.

People don't quit companies, they quit bad bosses. Is there doubt on anyone's mind that this team has quit on DD?

I agree with you. Dan is pushing a system instead of playing to players individual strengths. Do you remember when Lindy Ruff said he was going to make Vanek one of the best two-way players in the league? To the best of my knowledge, he didn't punish Vanek for not excelling in that role -- he finally realized that putting him on the PK and relying on him defensively wasn't going to work. Dan doesn't make that adjustment.

I agree with you. Dan is pushing a system instead of playing to players individual strengths. Do you remember when Lindy Ruff said he was going to make Vanek one of the best two-way players in the league? To the best of my knowledge, he didn't punish Vanek for not excelling in that role -- he finally realized that putting him on the PK and relying on him defensively wasn't going to work. Dan doesn't make that adjustment.

I recall Vanek scoring a couple of shorthanded goals in a short time, then never seeing significant PK duty after that. Lindy was a tool.

What do you expect him to do, teach two systems?  One for the fast offensively gifted young guns, and another for the slow aging vets?   I like that the system is designed around what type of team they want to be, not just to accommodate their current roster.  

What do you expect him to do, teach two systems?  One for the fast offensively gifted young guns, and another for the slow aging vets?   I like that the system is designed around what type of team they want to be, not just to accommodate their current roster.  

Yes.

The system is designed for skilled possession players?  Because I don't see that being played.

What do you expect him to do, teach two systems? One for the fast offensively gifted young guns, and another for the slow aging vets? I like that the system is designed around what type of team they want to be, not just to accommodate their current roster.

So every team has only one type of player?

Yes.

The system is designed for skilled possession players?  Because I don't see that being played.

The system is designed for fast large athletes.   

So every team has only one type of player?

No.  Show me a team other than BUF that has such a stark contrast in skills/abilities between their top and bottom lines.     It's why they have the best PP in the league, and worst PK.     Their 3rd and 4th lines are the most unproductive lines in the league, and they can't defend either.    It's a joke. 

No.  Show me a team other than BUF that has such a stark contrast in skills/abilities between their top and bottom lines.     It's why they have the best PP in the league, and worst PK.     Their 3rd and 4th lines are the most unproductive lines in the league, and they can't defend either.    It's a joke. 

Chicago tends to be that way. Their contracts are so top heavy that their usually have to fill out the bottom of their lineup with ELCs and bargain bin vets. I imagine its the same for any teams that have a few guys signed to big money deals.

What do you expect him to do, teach two systems? One for the fast offensively gifted young guns, and another for the slow aging vets? I like that the system is designed around what type of team they want to be, not just to accommodate their current roster.

You just might be the first person in history who doesn't want his coach to maximize the roster he has to work with.

Didn't read on here somewhere the in Pittsburgh, he did exactly that? The top 2 lines played one system, bottom two played another.

You just might be the first person in history who doesn't want his coach to maximize the roster he has to work with.

A system that maximizes the limited amount of talent on the roster to secure a playoff spot and get throttled in the first round?  No thanks, been there, done that.

A system that fits your core and that can be successful in the playoffs?   Sign me up.    And before everybody chimes in about Eichel/DB conflict, etc... just look at how production Eichel and Kane have been the past few months.   That's not by accident.   You want Dan to slow them down by teaching a more controlled, slow pace game?    

A system that maximizes the limited amount of talent on the roster to secure a playoff spot and get throttled in the first round?  No thanks, been there, done that.

A system that fits your core and that can be successful in the playoffs?   Sign me up.    And before everybody chimes in about Eichel/DB conflict, etc... just look at how production Eichel and Kane have been the past few months.   That's not by accident.   You want Dan to slow them down by teaching a more controlled, slow pace game?    

But...this is exactly what Byslma's system does! I've already posted it, but go back and look at his playoff history with Pittsburgh. They were bounced from the playoffs in the 1st / 2nd round every single year besides 2, and one of those he needed playoff miracles from Crosby and Malkin

Oh come on pi, seriously? You want to attribute Eichel's success to Dan ###### Byslma? He's produced at record paces everywhere he's went; Crosby and Malkin both are Art Ross / Hart trophy candidates after Byslma left. Eichel carries the puck in more than anyone in the league, and more than anyone on our team; why is it that he's the only one that carries it in that much? Well, ask yourself why he's also told the media he's not going to change the way he plays after Byslma benched him. He's successful, more so than last year, cause he finally started moving his god damned feet

That's just absurd

Our 3rd / 4th line talent is to blame for the PP success and PK disappointments? ###### how

Edited by WildCard

But...this is exactly what Byslma's system does! I've already posted it, but go back and look at his playoff history with Pittsburgh. They were bounced from the playoffs in the 1st / 2nd round every single year besides 2, and one of those he needed playoff miracles from Crosby and Malkin

Oh come on pi, seriously? You want to attribute Eichel's success to Dan ###### Byslma? He's produced at record paces everywhere he's went; Crosby and Malkin both are Art Ross / Hart trophy candidates after Byslma left. Eichel carries the puck in more than anyone in the league, and more than anyone on our team; why is it that he's the only one that carries it in that much? Well, ask yourself why he's also told the media he's not going to change the way he plays after Byslma benched him. He's successful, more so than last year, cause he finally started moving his god damned feet

That's just absurd

Our 3rd / 4th line talent is to blame for the PP success and PK disappointments? ###### how

So any time a player on this plays well and produces it's all because of his own doing, but when a player/line plays poorly it's the head coaches fault?     That's a double standard.    You have to give some credit for Eichel's success to Dan, in the same way you can't blame him entirely for lack of production from the 3rd/4th lines.     

My point is that he's coaching to the strength of the core, and forcing everyone to get onboard.    Guys like Bailey, Carrier, Rodrigues, Fasching, all look very good in this system because they can get up and down the ice and have a nose for the puck and dirty areas.    Guys like Girgensons, Larsson, Foligno, Gionta, Moulson, D-Lo, can't get up and down the ice fast enough, but instead of setting everybody back to accommodate them, he's stick with the long term plan. 

Bylsma is not the same coach he was in PIT.

3rd/4th line players are typically your best defensive forwards so they play the PK.    In BUF you have top 6 guys like ROR and Kane on the PK (and now Eichel), that's obviously taken a toll on ROR, he leads the league in min/game because he's asked to do so much.   If there were better defensive players in the bottom 6, ROR wouldn't be completely spent by game 60.  

Get 1 or 2 d-men, but more importantly IMO, fix the bottom six, get some guys who know how to defend and can skate and this will be a top team in the Conference... with Bylsma!    

So any time a player on this plays well and produces it's all because of his own doing, but when a player/line plays poorly it's the head coaches fault?     That's a double standard.    You have to give some credit for Eichel's success to Dan, in the same way you can't blame him entirely for lack of production from the 3rd/4th lines.     

My point is that he's coaching to the strength of the core, and forcing everyone to get onboard.    Guys like Bailey, Carrier, Rodrigues, Fasching, all look very good in this system because they can get up and down the ice and have a nose for the puck and dirty areas.    Guys like Girgensons, Larsson, Foligno, Gionta, Moulson, D-Lo, can't get up and down the ice fast enough, but instead of setting everybody back to accommodate them, he's stick with the long term plan. 

Bylsma is not the same coach he was in PIT.

3rd/4th line players are typically your best defensive forwards so they play the PK.    In BUF you have top 6 guys like ROR and Kane on the PK (and now Eichel), that's obviously taken a toll on ROR, he leads the league in min/game because he's asked to do so much.   If there were better defensive players in the bottom 6, ROR wouldn't be completely spent by game 60.  

Get 1 or 2 d-men, but more importantly IMO, fix the bottom six, get some guys who know how to defend and can skate and this will be a top team in the Conference... with Bylsma!    

Where did I say that? When Eichel has produced at every single level, why would we expect him not to continue to do so? Same with Crosby and Malkin. That has nothing to do with Byslma's system

Odd, because those first names haven't produced, and meanwhile Foligno and Gionta have. 

Yes, he is. It's been well documented. It's been done again and again on this board.

I'm not sure I believe this. Pretty sure Toews and Bergeron play on the PK too.

Edited by WildCard