Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

I still think that the roster is still not where it needs to be, if Bylsma is Murray's guy.  The players assembled do not mesh well enough for Bylsma's system.

If (and it's a big if) Bylsma is, indeed, Murray's guy the roster needs to be massaged.

I think Bylsma is a good coach and I don't think he should be replaced until the roster is adjusted to better suit.

Now, I'm not a smart enough guy to know exactly how to fix the roster, but I'm thinking that Murray would have wanted to also go after Lucic last off-season.

70 goals and counting

You can probably stop counting, that may be our limit

When is this jackwagon signed until anyways? 3 year deals right? IIRC he's the 2nd highest paid head coach ever

Meanwhile over in Columbus, a team that finished 5 points worse than Buffalo last year, 2nd last in the Eastern Conference is currently on a 12 game winning streak and has the most points in the NHL, after having demolished Pittsburgh, who has the 2nd most points in the NHL, 7-1 yesterday...this team also put up a 10 spot on Montreal earlier in the year to hand them their first loss...

17 goals in 2 games? That would take us at least 10 games to hit that total...

I'm no fan of Tortorella, but he is getting more than could be expected from them right now.

So you look at Tortorella getting more than could be expected and then compare it to Bylsma getting far less than could be expected...big difference

Yeah the thing with Torts is though, and we've seen this everywhere he goes, when it's good, it's good, but as soon as a bad patch hits, he loses it all. His screaming acts get old real quick and he loses the team as soon as a rough stretch is hit because he can't fix it

I still think that the roster is still not where it needs to be, if Bylsma is Murray's guy.  The players assembled do not mesh well enough for Bylsma's system.

If (and it's a big if) Bylsma is, indeed, Murray's guy the roster needs to be massaged.

I think Bylsma is a good coach and I don't think he should be replaced until the roster is adjusted to better suit.

Now, I'm not a smart enough guy to know exactly how to fix the roster, but I'm thinking that Murray would have wanted to also go after Lucic last off-season.

Why is it that I don't feel confident in this?

When is this jackwagon signed until anyways? 3 year deals right? IIRC he's the 2nd highest paid head coach ever

Yeah the thing with Torts is though, and we've seen this everywhere he goes, when it's good, it's good, but as soon as a bad patch hits, he loses it all. His screaming acts get old real quick and he loses the team as soon as a rough stretch is hit because he can't fix it

Not sure about the salary claim. Found this link that puts DD in the neighborhood of second highest paid this season. Not sure of strength of source.

http://www.otherleague.com/contracts/nhl-head-coach-contracts-salaries/

Some of these guys need new agents.

https://www.capfriendly.com/coaches

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't shed a tear if Bylsma was sent packing. However, something I keep thinking... Maybe all of this is because our talent on the back end is so bad DEFENSIVELY, not offensively. Sure, our blueliners struggle tremendously to produce points outside of Risto. They're bad at moving the puck, they're mostly unable to join the rush, and boy do they find a lot of shins out from the point. These points have been beaten to death and I agree the team will be incredibly improved when this aspect of the game is improved. 

But they're also severely lacking defensive talent, and I think this is forcing Bylsma's hand. Bogo and Kulikov often look like they're out for a leisurely skate at canalside. Gorges has his moments, but the speed of the game has mostly passed him by. Risto and McCabe are young and developing. They still find themselves out of position at times, although I'm pleased with both of their defensive performances this year. As a whole, I think our lack of defensive talent on the back end is forcing Bylsma to incorporate a system where we bottle things up and slow things down. It requires our defensemen to sit back. It asks our forwards to limit their aggressiveness to cover for others' deficiencies. 

I don't think him nor GMTM trusts these guys to shut down opponents without major stylistic changes. Would I prefer we open things up and try to win 5-4? Yeah, obviously it would be more fun to watch. But I think our defense is so bad that we'd lose more games 3-5 than we'd win. Our goaltending certainly isn't good enough to regularly bail out a terrible defense if we open things up.

At the end of the day, maybe Bylsma and GMTM want to slow things down and teach this style now while the offense is young. Teach them to be responsible instead of playing loosey-goosey hockey. Maybe playing wide-open now would teach some bad habits and we'd lose just as many games anyways. Then when we fill the back end with players that deserve second- and third-pairing minutes, open things up a bit. Maybe some of our guys in the pipeline will work out. Maybe Bogo and Kulikov will remember they are playing in the NHL, not on a first date. Maybe we'll bring in a huge upgrade via trade or UFA. And maybe then we'd have a happy balance of scoring and defensive responsibility, and we can take the league by storm instead of grinding them to a pulp before losing shootouts.

Meanwhile over in Columbus, a team that finished 5 points worse than Buffalo last year, 2nd last in the Eastern Conference is currently on a 12 game winning streak and has the most points in the NHL, after having demolished Pittsburgh, who has the 2nd most points in the NHL,  7-1 yesterday...this team also put up a 10 spot on Montreal earlier in the year to hand them their first loss...

17 goals in 2 games? That would take us at least 10 games to hit that total...

I'm no fan of Tortorella, but he is getting more than could be expected from them right now.  

So you look at Tortorella getting more than could be expected and then compare it to Bylsma getting far less than could be expected...big difference

And on here Tortorella has been lampooned as a terrible coach.  So what gives?  Is it the talent on the CBJ roster?  I've a hard time believing that entirely.

Unless this team buys into his screaming act.  It is a mix and match system and any given year the collective team mentality may have the right leadership to back his screaming tactics.  I don't know that to be true but I can't explain the CBJ success right now.  It's certainly a crazy situation of confidence and something else.

Then why not just go to that?

Why bring DD in at all?

I'm beginning to believe that Pegula has been running through "Owner 101" for two sports franchises.  He's currently on "big names win games" and learning that isn't always the case.  Rex Ryan and Dan Byslma are both coaches who are big names and both have had a modicum of success in the past but are also coaches who are very determined to play their way.  He started off with the "Evaluate first".  The next phase is, get the right people for the job.  In the situation of the Bills I think he's got a failed GM and coach. With the Sabres I think he's only got a failed coach.  

He's learning how to own a franchise and we're along for the ride.  

I said it in the other thread. Bylsma and the players are not on the same page or there's another locker room issue that's not seen daylight yet.  Perhaps it's Kane, perhaps not.  Either way the one thing I feel confident in is Murray having the stones to make moves.

And on here Tortorella has been lampooned as a terrible coach.  So what gives?  Is it the talent on the CBJ roster?  I've a hard time believing that entirely.

Unless this team buys into his screaming act.  It is a mix and match system and any given year the collective team mentality may have the right leadership to back his screaming tactics.  I don't know that to be true but I can't explain the CBJ success right now.  It's certainly a crazy situation of confidence and something else.

I'm beginning to believe that Pegula has been running through "Owner 101" for two sports franchises.  He's currently on "big names win games" and learning that isn't always the case.  Rex Ryan and Dan Byslma are both coaches who are big names and both have had a modicum of success in the past but are also coaches who are very determined to play their way.  He started off with the "Evaluate first".  The next phase is, get the right people for the job.  In the situation of the Bills I think he's got a failed GM and coach. With the Sabres I think he's only got a failed coach.  

He's learning how to own a franchise and we're along for the ride.  

I said it in the other thread. Bylsma and the players are not on the same page or there's another locker room issue that's not seen daylight yet.  Perhaps it's Kane, perhaps not.  Either way the one thing I feel confident in is Murray having the stones to make moves.

There's a logical disconnect, for me anyway, when you think Dan is a failed coach but Tim is not a failed GM. How many mulligans does a GM get on coaching hires?

I am ready for lindy ruff round 2.

Long-time caller, first-time listener. Stars are .500. On the playoff bubble. Are they underperforming or overperforming? Is there any indication Ruff is on the hot seat? I'll start to listen, then hang up.

There's a logical disconnect, for me anyway, when you think Dan is a failed coach but Tim is not a failed GM. How many mulligans does a GM get on coaching hires?

One, maybe two (depending on what the roster looks like). Bylsma is his first.

Don't say "he hired Nolan!" because Nolan was obviously just the sacrificial tank coach, not a real hire.

Looking into Lindy's situation in Dallas. He appears to be in the final year of a four-year deal. The GM, Jim Nill, got a five-year contract extension last season.

In a preseason survey of NHL.com and NHL Network "experts," the Stars were a consensus playoff pick, and even division/conference champion pick of a few. So it might not be a surprise that Lindy put some of the heat on himself a month ago:

"When I get my top guys on the right side, then we will win games on a consistent basis," Ruff said. "I'm looking at the job I've been doing, and it hasn't been good enough because the guys I take so much pride in aren't on the right side for me, and that bothers me."

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-stars/stars/2016/11/30/lindy-ruff-demanding-accountability-struggling-stars-starting

The Stars are 5-4-1 in their last 10 games.

Looking into Lindy's situation in Dallas. He appears to be in the final year of a four-year deal. The GM, Jim Nill, got a five-year contract extension last season.

In a preseason survey of NHL.com and NHL Network "experts," the Stars were a consensus playoff pick, and even division/conference champion pick of a few. So it might not be a surprise that Lindy put some of the heat on himself a month ago:

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-stars/stars/2016/11/30/lindy-ruff-demanding-accountability-struggling-stars-starting

I don't watch them nearly enough to know what may be going on, but that defense corps in front of those goalies is a recipe for disaster. 

Lindy strikes me as a less lucky version of Joel Quenneville, and perhaps with a slightly worse eye for talent. I think they're both "players coaches" in that they usually have no problem getting guys to play hard or keep a room. But I think Lindy always seems to get stuck on teams that come up just a little short on talent. Quenneville lucked out with Chicago, but he might be able to better gauge players for his GM. I'm not sure Lindy is quite as good at that. 

Dreary Dan strikes me as the opposite of Lindy. Probably a better judge of talent, but no presence in the room. Even when he has had good teams, they don't excel until he's gone. 

Good stuff guys. Losing Goligoski has hurt the Stars a lot, especially with that goalie situation, one the Nill failed miserably with. I wouldn't be surprised if they let him go, but I'd be shocked if e came back. Just doesn't seem feasible; the Pegula would be roasted in the media for it

One, maybe two (depending on what the roster looks like). Bylsma is his first.

Don't say "he hired Nolan!" because Nolan was obviously just the sacrificial tank coach, not a real hire.

Also, in Murray's defense,  DD was not his first choice-  he was actively courting Babcock, and that deal slipped away;  Unlikely there was anything that Murray could have possibly done to change Babcock's mind.  

OTOH,  Murray hasn't seemed very aggressive of late, and obviously continues to back DD as HC.    I fear he's slipped into Big Contract Complacency;  hard to believe there were no ramifications to that horrendous and embarrassing loss to a below average Islanders team before Christmas.  That was so ugly, and the season has been so bad to that point, it seems like Bylsma should have lost his job then and there.   

And....now Bylsma has more injury excuses with ROR out indefinitely -  trouble with that excuse was the team didn't seem all that much better (if at all) with Eichel, Kane, ROR, et al back IN the roster from the DL.    However, the excuse clearly works in Murray's office.     

Edited by Jsixspd

Long-time caller, first-time listener. Stars are .500. On the playoff bubble. Are they underperforming or overperforming? Is there any indication Ruff is on the hot seat? I'll start to listen, then hang up.

At least 1, likely 2. Considering DB wasn't his 1st choice & the selection may have been influenced by his boss(es), he definitely gets a mulligan on that one.

& now that we got a late Boxing Day gift from the Bills, how about an early NY's day present fromnthe Sabres? (Realizing it's WAY too much to hope for a NY's day gift from PSE (namely RB's head on a stake).)

One coach... keeping Nolan was the fan placation technique and also a way to burn a year.  It was a no brainer.  Murray has a good track record and has hockey lineage. I think Pegula is starting to back off his influencing and will let hockey guys run the show (especially if he watched the Panthers mess).  

Dan is a failed coach because he failed out of Pittsburgh with some great talent.

Also, in Murray's defense,  DD was not his first choice-  he was actively courting Babcock, and that deal slipped away;  Unlikely there was anything that Murray could have possibly done to change Babcock's mind.  

OTOH,  Murray hasn't seemed very aggressive of late, and obviously continues to back DD as HC.    I fear he's slipped into Big Contract Complacency;  hard to believe there were no ramifications to that horrendous and embarrassing loss to a below average Islanders team before Christmas.  That was so ugly, and the season has been so bad to that point, it seems like Bylsma should have lost his job then and there.   

And....now Bylsma has more injury excuses with ROR out indefinitely -  trouble with that excuse was the team didn't seem all that much better (if at all) with Eichel, Kane, ROR, et al back IN the roster from the DL.    However, the excuse clearly works in Murray's office.     

I don't think the hockey market is there yet to be aggressive.  It wouldn't surprise me if there are minor moves made until the trade deadline and even then it might not be much.  The impending expansion draft has to play into any deal on who a team will protect, etc.  Deals are hard enough to manage but adding a significant variable to the mix won't help.

At this point I think the season plays out as it does.  A few players leave the younger players come up and next year is where it's Murray's make or break year.  Meanwhile, this team is still good enough to be successful this year.

Also, in Murray's defense, DD was not his first choice- he was actively courting Babcock, and that deal slipped away; Unlikely there was anything that Murray could have possibly done to change Babcock's mind.

OTOH, Murray hasn't seemed very aggressive of late, and obviously continues to back DD as HC. I fear he's slipped into Big Contract Complacency; hard to believe there were no ramifications to that horrendous and embarrassing loss to a below average Islanders team before Christmas. That was so ugly, and the season has been so bad to that point, it seems like Bylsma should have lost his job then and there.

And....now Bylsma has more injury excuses with ROR out indefinitely - trouble with that excuse was the team didn't seem all that much better (if at all) with Eichel, Kane, ROR, et al back IN the roster from the DL. However, the excuse clearly works in Murray's office.

Murray can't be very aggressive. We're a cap team and he fired most of the big bullets he had on O'Reilly, Kane, Bogo, and Lehner.