Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

Whenever possible, I watch with subtitles.  It just helps.  Also I date someone for whom English is a third language, so that helps too.

So anyway, why I'm here:  Just finished season two of The Crown and I need good recommendations for a series or two.

Not really into sci-fi or fantasy.  (I have tried and tried to get into Stranger Things and just cannot.)  

If you haven't watched Ozark on Netflix, that's the one I'd recommend

I saw it in the theater so that may have helped, but I didn't have too much trouble with this type of thing.  I can understand, thinking back, how this sort of stuff could have been difficult for that movie though.  I thought the movie was great. Terrific as you say.  Among my top 2 or 3 movies I've seen in the last year.  Was expecting really good going in, but it pleasantly surpassed my expectations.  Gary Oldman was well deserved of the Academy Award for Best Actor.

I love movies where you can convince yourself you're really looking at a historical figure. That was Churchill on my screen. What acting.

Darkest Hour / Dunkirk / The Shape of Water / The Post. WWII, the Cold War, Vietnam.

If you want to keep it on the Royalty/Nobility track you can always try Downton Abbey. Its a soap opera, but a pretty good one.

Westworld Season 2 started last night; I haven't watched it yet because the wife was tired, but I'm diving in tonight whether she's ready or not.

Westworld :thumbsup:

If the first episode was any indication, they may have made the show even more confusing than Season 1 was. I love the show, but I felt like I needed the cliff notes after last night...

If you haven't watched Ozark on Netflix, that's the one I'd recommend

That looks to be excellent.

I love movies where you can convince yourself you're really looking at a historical figure. That was Churchill on my screen. What acting.

Darkest Hour / Dunkirk / The Shape of Water / The Post. WWII, the Cold War, Vietnam.

That's why I liked The Crown so much.

But those are movies.  I'm looking for series.

If you want to keep it on the Royalty/Nobility track you can always try Downton Abbey. Its a soap opera, but a pretty good one.

Westworld Season 2 started last night; I haven't watched it yet because the wife was tired, but I'm diving in tonight whether she's ready or not.

I might try Downton.  I've heard enough good about it.

Edited by Eleven

Downton Abbey was really good also. I watched it when it was new and they had a 1/2 hour show after each show that explained the nuances and traditions of the class system in Britain. Not only the rich/poor aspect but the class system in the monarchy itself. It was eye opening to me.

I might try Downton.  I've heard enough good about it.

Downton Abbey was really good also. I watched it when it was new and they had a 1/2 hour show after each show that explained the nuances and traditions of the class system in Britain. Not only the rich/poor aspect but the class system in the monarchy itself. It was eye opening to me.

That show is worth it just to watch Maggie Smith be a snarky old broad.

Yeah the tie in between Dunkirk and Darkest Hour was interesting.  The same event from two very different, but captivating perspectives.  Kind of macro and micro, if you will.  Seems we're in kind of a golden age for these historical dramas.  You will like Chappaquiddick if you're interested in seeing it.

I saw Ted Kennedy on my screen, to borrow from your words above.

Finished GLOW (Gorgeous Ladies Of Wrestling) on Netflix, a comedy on how the real show started. It was entertaining and a fun look back at the ‘80s. With Mark Maron as the head guy.

Started Lost in Space. It is an interesting take on the old series so far. More like Battlestar Galactica than the old campy show. Of course there is an obligatory PC aspect that you’ll notice right away.

Edited by pastajoe

Finished GLOW (Gorgeous Ladies Of Wrestling) on Netflix, a comedy on how the real show started. It was entertaining and a fun look back at the ‘80s. With Mark Maron as the head guy.

Started Lost in Space. It is an interesting take on the old series so far. More like Battlestar Galactica than the old campy show. Of course there is an obligatory PC aspect that you’ll notice right away.

GLOW was so damn good. Really looking forward to the next season. There was a documentary about the actual GLOW wrestlers on Netflix at one point as well, not sure if it's still there. 

I want to check out the new Lost in Space. I think it looks good. 

Whenever possible, I watch with subtitles.  It just helps.  Also I date someone for whom English is a third language, so that helps too.

So anyway, why I'm here:  Just finished season two of The Crown and I need good recommendations for a series or two.

Not really into sci-fi or fantasy.  (I have tried and tried to get into Stranger Things and just cannot.)  

The Handmaid's Tale.  Only 10 episodes in the first season, and the second season begins this week.

Well, those bastards at Lionsgate who bought Starz cancelled Ash vs Evil Dead after 3 seasons. I'm hoping Netflix buys the rights for it as well as additional seasons since they already currently have the rights to stream seasons 1 and 2. Netflix typically doesn't release ratings data but from various snippets in articles about the cancellation I've read it's getting plenty of views on the Netflix platform.

The series finale airs next Sunday so I'll be cancelling my Starz subscription next Monday. I hope whomever made the decision to cancel it dies in a fire.

GLOW was so damn good. Really looking forward to the next season. There was a documentary about the actual GLOW wrestlers on Netflix at one point as well, not sure if it's still there.

I want to check out the new Lost in Space. I think it looks good.

You can find actual GLOW episodes on YouTube. It’s interesting comparing the real characters to the Netflix versions.

You can find actual GLOW episodes on YouTube. It’s interesting comparing the real characters to the Netflix versions.

Oh absolutely. I watched a bunch a couple years ago when I was working on a wrestling game at work. I was animating/doing UI for one of the female fighters- it was a lot of fun.

One of them wrote a book... I was expecting some origin story, how she got into wrestling... after like 2/3 of the book we had yet to get to GLOW or wrestling at all, and it was mostly really raunchy/borderline p0rn memoirs of her days as a dominatrix/swinger/phone sex operator. Which sounds great. Except it really wasn't. Especially not for chapter after chapter after chapter... I haven't read the rest. 

Well, those bastards at Lionsgate who bought Starz cancelled Ash vs Evil Dead after 3 seasons. I'm hoping Netflix buys the rights for it as well as additional seasons since they already currently have the rights to stream seasons 1 and 2. Netflix typically doesn't release ratings data but from various snippets in articles about the cancellation I've read it's getting plenty of views on the Netflix platform.

The series finale airs next Sunday so I'll be cancelling my Starz subscription next Monday. I hope whomever made the decision to cancel it dies in a fire.

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2018/04/24/26091377/bruce-campbell-has-retired-from-playing-ash

Getting back to watching a little TV, trying to finish up Grand Tour and The Man in the High Castle (both Amazon). I read the Phillip K Dick book recently, and it didn't spoil the show for me (so far at least); the show seems to have at best a casual relationship with the book. It's almost like Amazon took the book as a concept framework and set of characters, and wrote some alternate fan fiction.

The series finale of Ash Vs Evil Dead (season 3) aired last night at 9 pm and it was fan######ingtastic. From the way it ended it looks like Season 4 (if those pig ###### at Lionsgate hadn't cancelled the show) was going to have Ash on his own (plus some totally gorgeous half robot babe) fighting deadites in the future in a sort of Mad Max/Apocalypse type setting.

Ash may have officially retired from his greatest role, but I'm still holding out hope that somebody like Netflix buys the franchise rights and reboots the series while paying him enough money to entice him to come back.

You're the man, Jefe. Please don't let this be the end of the Groovy one!

200.gif

Edited by Alkoholist