Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

Whenever possible, I watch with subtitles.  It just helps.  Also I date someone for whom English is a third language, so that helps too.

My wife is Taiwanese and English is also her 3rd language (I'm hoping she's not who you are dating btw)  and she had a very hard time with the accents and language in Darkest Hour.  We use sub-titles for most shows we watch together. 

The only show I consistently had to use sub-titles on was The Wire. 

My wife and I saw Deadpool2, last night. We were invited along by friends. It’s not a movie we’d see on our own based on trailers and reviews. I was a comic book kid 45 years ago. The movie was having fun with itself and with me.

I did not participate in the comic book movie trend that started some 20 years ago. My kids did. They loved super hero movies. I laughed at some of the truly funny and quirky lines, last night.

In my view, the movie wasn’t good. It wasn’t bad. It WAS really different. Vive la différence! Nothing’s for everybody. I’m glad I saw this new thing.

Which brings me to my musing ...

Who is this movie for? When the suits did the demographics, who did they expect to see in the audience? I ask because it’s very adult (language, violence, social commentary) and it’s very teen (characters, angst, bullies and empowerment). Now, one answer may certainly be “both”. I was left with equal parts “they shouldn’t see this” and “they’ll not relate to this” feelings, depending on the “they”.

P.S. I texted my twenty something kids. They’d all seen Deadpool1, and some had seen Deadpool2. They all liked the movies. They also said they’d “not bring kids”.

Outside my box, walking with others!

Edited by Neo

My 20 yr old son Loved Deadpool. I suspect he is the heart of the target audience. I saw it with him. I’ve enjoyed the X men and Avengers movies. I wasn’t sure I liked Deadpool. I didn’t hate it, but I wasn’t comfortable with it either. Too over the top for my tastes I guess.

My wife and I saw Deadpool2, last night. We were invited along by friends. It’s not a movie we’d see on our own based on trailers and reviews. I was a comic book kid 45 years ago. The movie was having fun with itself and with me.

I did not participate in the comic book movie trend that started some 20 years ago. My kids did. They loved super hero movies. I laughed at some of the truly funny and quirky lines, last night.

In my view, the movie wasn’t good. It wasn’t bad. It WAS really different. Vive la différence! Nothing’s for everybody. I’m glad I saw this new thing.

Which brings me to my musing ...

Who is this movie for? When the suits did the demographics, who did they expect to see in the audience? I ask because it’s very adult (language, violence, social commentary) and it’s very teen (characters, angst, bullies and empowerment). Now, one answer may certainly be “both”. I was left with equal parts “they shouldn’t see this” and “they’ll not relate to this” feelings, depending on the “they”.

P.S. I texted my twenty something kids. They’d all seen Deadpool1, and some had seen Deadpool2. They all liked the movies. They also said they’d “not bring kids”.

Outside my box, walking with others!

I'll have to reread this when I'm sober but those movies hit me perfectly. They are a little over the top but I'm in Hysterics the whole movie.

I'll have to reread this when I'm sober but those movies hit me perfectly. They are a little over the top but I'm in Hysterics the whole movie.

Hysterics is the right word. More than anything, the little comedic things got to me. “Not so serious” vibe.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been binging on Billions for a couple weeks. Great show. Great acting. Great writing. Annoying if you are broke like me but Giamatti character kinda brings that full circle.

A co-worker recommended Billions to me a few weeks back, which I then binge watched and finished 3 seasons (current) since then. Very compelling characters and storyline, and the bitter & vindictive nature of Giamatti really makes the show.

Frankly i'm a little sad that now that I'm current I have to wait each week to catch the next episode.

Anyone familiar with the show Letterkenny?  Maybe the best show from Canada since Trailer Park Boys.

Very funny, especially the hockey meatheads. 

I'm giving my seal of approval to "The Terror," which just concluded on FX.  It's a 10-part drama (very) loosely based on the true story of 2 British ships that disappeared in the 1850s on an expedition to find the NW Passage.

I'm giving my seal of approval to "The Terror," which just concluded on FX. It's a 10-part drama (very) loosely based on the true story of 2 British ships that disappeared in the 1850s on an expedition to find the NW Passage.

I only saw a few minutes of the first episode but I do plan to circle back and watch this. The book it's based on (by Dan Simmons) might be my favorite novel of all-time. I've read it a couple times and I love the historically accurate bits along with how he modifies his writing to fit the era. No idea how they adapted the final act but I can highly recommend the book if anyone is looking for a great summer read.

I'm giving my seal of approval to "The Terror," which just concluded on FX.  It's a 10-part drama (very) loosely based on the true story of 2 British ships that disappeared in the 1850s on an expedition to find the NW Passage.

I just finished this. I thought it was great. Historically accurate to a point but what do we really know of what took place out there hence the fictionalized filler throughout. Still I was entertained. Not sure how they'd do a season 2 ?

I just finished this. I thought it was great. Historically accurate to a point but what do we really know of what took place out there hence the fictionalized filler throughout. Still I was entertained. Not sure how they'd do a season 2 ?

Hard to see a season 2!

Separately: my wife and I are about halfway through “Money Heist” on Netflix. Pretty entertaining bank robbery thriller miniseries.

My vote: Abnormally cold winter extends the sea down to a small Labrador coastal town.  (I don't have FX, but I just marked the book down as a "Want to Read".

Hereditary was an experience. It was rather unsettling for its first 30-45 minutes or so, and while I love the genre, I’m usually not one to be easily impacted by horror movies. It wasn’t so much scary as, at times, deeply troubling. Towards the second half of the movie, while still quite good, it started to shift to slightly more conventional proceedings. Overall, a rare Horror movie that truly gets under your skin and presents a few topics or questions you may not be used to being asked, as a viewer.

The opening sequence was spine-tingling.

Edited by Thorny