Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

Saw A Quite Place tonight. Very tense movie, very unique and well shot. Good/great ending. Definitely worth seeing

A Quiet Place was very good.  I 2nd this recommendation.  Great use of sound, or lack thereof, in the movie as well, which definitely increases the tension.

Also saw Chappaquiddick yesterday.  Very good movie.  Couldn't help but lose a lot of respect for Ted Kennedy, however.  Never knew the whole story until now, only knew the "elder statesman, lion of the Senate" version of Ted Kennedy.

Hmmm I dunno. I think Chuck is Mrs. O'Leary's cow and Jimmy's life is about to burn down.

On another cinematic note, the ending to Call Me by Your Name was incredible. I hate when movies waste the opportunity to use the closing credits to better use. This movie nailed it. You're going to know who the production intern was, trust me.

For those who haven't seen it, keep in mind that the average house fly's life is fleeting: 28 days.

Surprised you didn't have more to say about Call Me by Your Name.  The credits were definitely weirdly interesting.  Strange movie overall though.  The credits were probably the most normal part of it!  It was not a bad movie, it was actually very good and worth watching. The setting and scenery were amazing. Just a very strange movie, mostly in a good and interesting way, in my opinion.

I watched Avengers the other night. Not a bad flick but something about the comic book movies has jaded me. It's like I don't want to like them. And what's with all the demonic type stuff in these movies now. Where is Gene Hackman player the Uber Villan? Maybe I'm just getting old.

I watched Avengers the other night. Not a bad flick but something about the comic book movies has jaded me. It's like I don't want to like them. And what's with all the demonic type stuff in these movies now. Where is Gene Hackman player the Uber Villan? Maybe I'm just getting old.

?

Surprised you didn't have more to say about Call Me by Your Name.  The credits were definitely weirdly interesting.  Strange movie overall though.  The credits were probably the most normal part of it!  It was not a bad movie, it was actually very good and worth watching. The setting and scenery were amazing. Just a very strange movie, mostly in a good and interesting way, in my opinion.

Yes. It was. Interesting. In the context of #metoo, what are we to think about this romance that unfolded in Italy in 1983? Was it beautiful? Criminal? Also, I may never eat an apricot again. What a waste of the flesh.

All of a sudden, actor Michael Stuhlbarg is everywhere. He was business partner Sy on the third season of Fargo, the warm and understanding Dad in Call Me by Your Name (great scene with the heartbroken boy — "don't bury your sadness and with it all the joy you felt"), the Commie spy and not evil doctor in The Shape of Water, and something or other in The Post. He becomes only the sixth actor in history to be in three Academy Award-nominated movies in one year.

Call it what you will but when a horned creature from a fiery place which is called hellish is in the movie, I don't think it's a far reach to get to demonic.

Does that happen in Avengers? I thought Avengers was aliens. But there’s been so many.

There’s that demon guy in Thor. He’s AN Avenger.. :p

Yes. It was. Interesting. In the context of #metoo, what are we to think about this romance that unfolded in Italy in 1983? Was it beautiful? Criminal? Also, I may never eat an apricot again. What a waste of the flesh.

All of a sudden, actor Michael Stuhlbarg is everywhere. He was business partner Sy on the third season of Fargo, the warm and understanding Dad in Call Me by Your Name (great scene with the heartbroken boy — "don't bury your sadness and with it all the joy you felt"), the Commie spy and not evil doctor in The Shape of Water, and something or other in The Post. He becomes only the sixth actor in history to be in three Academy Award-nominated movies in one year.

It was Italy in 1983. The music was bad and anything goes.

Apricots is now an inside joke with my wife and I. I will never think of them the same again.

I knew I had seen the father in something else recently. I remember him now in The Shape of Water. There's a few actors who are seemingly working non stop. The kid who played Elio was also in Ladybird, for example. I keep seeing the same actors in several different movies and previews for upcoming movies.

Does that happen in Avengers? I thought Avengers was aliens. But there’s been so many.

There’s that demon guy in Thor. He’s AN Avenger.. :p

Dude I said demonic not a demon. It's an alien with demonic qualities. My son adores these guys but I can't bring myself to watch devil looking steppenwolf as it might scare the crap out of him.

Dude I said demonic not a demon. It's an alien with demonic qualities. My son adores these guys but I can't bring myself to watch devil looking steppenwolf as it might scare the crap out of him.

Touché.

I wouldn’t worry about the second part. I saw the original “It” as a small child one New Year’s Eve, and after years of therapy, I almost never freak out in public anymore, as long as I don’t happen to see a clown. Or anyone with red hair.

Or anyone who’s been outside a little too long on a cold day and has the resulting red nose.

Other than that I’m fine though.

Touché.

I wouldn’t worry about the second part. I saw the original “It” as a small child one New Year’s Eve, and after years of therapy, I almost never freak out in public anymore, as long as I don’t happen to see a clown. Or anyone with red hair.

Or anyone who’s been outside a little too long on a cold day and has the resulting red nose.

Other than that I’m fine though.

How are you with balloons?

Started watching Trust on FX. It's about the Getty kidnapping in the 70's. Two episodes in and I quite like it. Donald Sutherland looks like he's having a lot of fun and Brendan Fraser as a drawlin' Texan security chief is just great. Check it out if you have FX.

Started watching Trust on FX. It's about the Getty kidnapping in the 70's. Two episodes in and I quite like it. Donald Sutherland looks like he's having a lot of fun and Brendan Fraser as a drawlin' Texan security chief is just great. Check it out if you have FX.

Watching that myself. That entire family is very interesting, I recommend reading up on them

That show came out around the same time a movie did about the same kidnapping. I've looked everywhere but I can't find what the reasoning is for two projects to be all the sudden made about a very famous and old story. For reference, the last time something like this happened, The Beatles were suddenly on iTunes, re-releasing albums, and making video games. The reason? Michael Jackson owned the majority rights to all McCartney-Lennon songs, and had just passed away

Edited by Jokertecken

Watching that myself. That entire family is very interesting, I recommend reading up on them

That show came out around the same time a movie did about the same kidnapping. I've looked everywhere but I can't find what the reasoning is for two projects to be all the sudden made about a very famous and old story. For reference, the last time something like this happened, The Beatles we're suddenly on iTunes, re-releasing albums, and making video games. The reason? Michael Jackson owned the majority rights to all McCartney-Lennon songs, and had just passed away

It’s actually a fairly well-known phenomenon in the show biz... my guess: industrial espionage / studios trying to get one over on each other by rushing their own Volcano thriller / buddy cop movie with a dog being the other buddy / Asteroid catastrophe prevention film to market.

Here’s a by no means exhaustive list from fairly recently:

http://twistedsifter.com/2013/04/strangely-similar-movies-released-around-the-same-time/

That show came out around the same time a movie did about the same kidnapping. I've looked everywhere but I can't find what the reasoning is for two projects to be all the sudden made about a very famous and old story. For reference, the last time something like this happened, The Beatles we're suddenly on iTunes, re-releasing albums, and making video games. The reason? Michael Jackson owned the majority rights to all McCartney-Lennon songs, and had just passed away

I knew about the Getty story for sure since it's just so damn weird. Then when I saw they were making a show about it with two of my favorite actors I had to check that out. The production quality is very high.

I forgot about the movie. I need to check that out too I guess.

I wonder if some documents got unsealed? That might have spurred the projects.

Also, the soundtrack rules.

Edited by darksabre

It’s actually a fairly well-known phenomenon in the show biz... my guess: industrial espionage / studios trying to get one over on each other by rushing their own Volcano thriller / buddy cop movie with a dog being the other buddy / Asteroid catastrophe prevention film to market.

Here’s a by no means exhaustive list from fairly recently: http://twistedsifter.com/2013/04/strangely-similar-movies-released-around-the-same-time/

Kind of like when the Kevin Costner & Kurt Russell Wyatt Earp movies came out more or less simultaneously. (Didn't check to see if those 2 were on the list. Apologies if they were. :beer:) Edited by Taro T

Finally watched all of Stranger Things. Hot damn that was great. I think I liked Season 2 better than Season 1. I like how they managed to kick up the danger without making the first season feel trivial. Very curious where next season leads, though I guess the creators said it will be something new.

I binged the first seven episodes of that on my business trip this week.  Preloaded them on my tablet and watch on the plane.  Good show.  Also.... it's the first time I downloaded stuff on Netflix to watch on a plane- it sure makes the flight go by quicker.

Between the mumbling, cigar-puffing Churchill and the King with the speech impediment in Darkest Hour, I had to do something I've never done while watching a movie: turn on the subtitles. I don't feel like I really saw the movie, which, I think, was terrific.

Between the mumbling, cigar-puffing Churchill and the King with the speech impediment in Darkest Hour, I had to do something I've never done while watching a movie: turn on the subtitles. I don't feel like I really saw the movie, which, I think, was terrific.

I saw it in the theater so that may have helped, but I didn't have too much trouble with this type of thing.  I can understand, thinking back, how this sort of stuff could have been difficult for that movie though.  I thought the movie was great. Terrific as you say.  Among my top 2 or 3 movies I've seen in the last year.  Was expecting really good going in, but it pleasantly surpassed my expectations.  Gary Oldman was well deserved of the Academy Award for Best Actor.

Whenever possible, I watch with subtitles.  It just helps.  Also I date someone for whom English is a third language, so that helps too.

So anyway, why I'm here:  Just finished season two of The Crown and I need good recommendations for a series or two.

Not really into sci-fi or fantasy.  (I have tried and tried to get into Stranger Things and just cannot.)  

Whenever possible, I watch with subtitles.  It just helps.  Also I date someone for whom English is a third language, so that helps too.

So anyway, why I'm here:  Just finished season two of The Crown and I need good recommendations for a series or two.

Not really into sci-fi or fantasy.  (I have tried and tried to get into Stranger Things and just cannot.)  

If you want to keep it on the Royalty/Nobility track you can always try Downton Abbey. Its a soap opera, but a pretty good one.

Westworld Season 2 started last night; I haven't watched it yet because the wife was tired, but I'm diving in tonight whether she's ready or not.