Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

8 hours ago, Weave said:

They are like potato chips or a Snickers bar.  Not much substance but satisfy a basic craving.  They are fluffy, vapid entertainment. And that is exactly why I enjoy watching them.

I agree with much of this.  I’ve seen most of the superhero and Star Wars movies and I generally enjoy them alright, but fluff and vapid both are dead on.  

• I've heard about Impractical Jokers for years,  just never watched it. Since I was laid out from my poison ivy infections I decided to check it out. I've been binge watching the show ever since, probably the funniest show I have watched in years! It takes an awful lot to make me laugh (Ron White and Doug Stanhope are the only two to make me laugh). I don't know how they keep it fresh with new material after 8 years. 

42 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:
  • I've heard about Impractical Jokers for years,  just never watched it. Since I was laid out from my poison ivy infections I decided to check it out. I've been binge watching the show ever since, probably the funniest show I have watched in years! It takes an awful lot to make me laugh (Ron White and Doug Stanhope are the only two to make me laugh). I don't know how they keep it fresh with new material after 8 years. 

My son loves that show. I can watch for a little while. It really is hilarious. Fun and uncomfortable. Good show.

6 hours ago, ubkev said:

My son loves that show. I can watch for a little while. It really is hilarious. Fun and uncomfortable. Good show.

There are some really awkward moments on that show. And while I'm sure there is some scripting involved to run a major show, once they get on camera, it's totally unscripted. Very genuine, which is what makes it so funny. 

19 hours ago, Weave said:

They are like potato chips or a Snickers bar.  Not much substance but satisfy a basic craving.  They are fluffy, vapid entertainment. And that is exactly why I enjoy watching them.

Absolutely. And I love every minute! I basically view them as 80s action flicks with a lighter tone and more sci-fi elements. YMMV. 

19 hours ago, Weave said:

It's amazing what they've been able to do with all of their movies.  They can't do it as much with the team up movies, but the each stand alone franchise has a distinctly different feel or style than the others (although it does feel like they've moved away from that a bit lately by over-injecting everything with humor).  Running with your chip analogy, I like salt and vinegar chips while others might like sour cream and onion instead.  The right flavor is out there for most people if they're willing to sample.

I had a rare evening to myself last night and watched the first three episodes of Castle Rock on Hulu.  It's the fictional town Steven King set a number of his stories in.  So far it's a slow burning combination of a number of story lines, but I'm probably hooked.  Bill Skarsgard (Pennywise in the new It) does creepy extremely well, the entire cast is actually well put together.  

Time will tell how far down the King rabbit-hole it goes, there are passing references to prior stories, and Shawshank is front and center.  It's worth a watch if you're into that sort of thing.  

9 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Never heard of it.

What gives with the bullet point format?

12 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Doug Stanhope is awesome. Ron White is good the first time you watch him, but then he re-uses the same material in multiple specials so that took him down a few pegs in my book. If you like those guys though, check out Dave Attell, Bill Burr, Louis CK, and Jim Norton. All hilarious with varying levels of debauchery involved.

On 7/29/2018 at 12:49 PM, jsb said:

Watched 4 movies recently and all were awesome

A Perfect World-  Gran Torino-  The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and  Hell or High Water 

I'm not sure which one was my favorite. All were better than I expected especially Dragon Tattoo, great performance by Rooney Mara. 

Gran Torino and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo were both outstanding. I'm really sad they're moving that franchise forward with a different cast.

3 hours ago, biodork said:

Gran Torino and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo were both outstanding. I'm really sad they're moving that franchise forward with a different cast.

Actually that was why I watched it, the wife saw the preview of the next movie in the franchise and she wanted to see it. So we watched the 1st in the series and from what I can tell its a whole new cast, which is disappointing because Rooney Mara was just awesome in that movie. 

If you haven't seen Hell or High Water, that's another one for the must see list. 

12 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

New Shameless season on Netflix. 

I watch Shameless through the Showtime app, but you should enjoy this one. I was a little worried about it losing some humor with Frank laying off the sauce but it was still highly entertaining.

1 hour ago, Alkoholist said:

I watch Shameless through the Showtime app, but you should enjoy this one. I was a little worried about it losing some humor with Frank laying off the sauce but it was still highly entertaining.

Agreed. I love Shameless and it hasn't really lost much momentum like some of the other big Showtime franchises do (Weeds, Dexter, etc.)

18 hours ago, Samson's Flow said:

Agreed. I love Shameless and it hasn't really lost much momentum like some of the other big Showtime franchises do (Weeds, Dexter, etc.)

Shameless is awesome. Even the original British version is great, although I like the US version better. I love a good anti-hero and William H Macy plays the part to absolute perfection.

Weeds was great the first few seasons then it kind of jumped the shark for me, although I eventually finished the series (it's also a knockoff of a British show, but I've never seen that version). Dexter was great until the end. They rushed the last season so it could air before Ray Donovan instead of just releasing that show 6 months later. Bastards.

11 minutes ago, Alkoholist said:

Weeds was great the first few seasons then it kind of jumped the shark for me, although I eventually finished the series (it's also a knockoff of a British show, but I've never seen that version). Dexter was great until the end. They rushed the last season so it could air before Ray Donovan instead of just releasing that show 6 months later. Bastards.

That seems to be the MO for the woman who created Weeds.  She has certainly done the same thing with Orange is the New Black.  It starts out pretty well, but then with each new season, it jumps all over the place, losing any coherency.

1 minute ago, shrader said:

That seems to be the MO for the woman who created Weeds.  She has certainly done the same thing with Orange is the New Black.  It starts out pretty well, but then with each new season, it jumps all over the place, losing any coherency.

Yep. I think her name is Jenji Kohan or something along those lines. She doesn't seem to have an original idea in her head because not only was Weeds a ripoff, Orange is the New Black is a ripoff of another show about a woman's prison as well called Wentworth.

Wentworth is Australian/New Zealand I'm pretty sure and while it's more of a drama than a comedy, but it's really good. It's also on Netflix so if anyone is looking for another show to watch it's definitely worth a look.

47 minutes ago, Alkoholist said:

Yep. I think her name is Jenji Kohan or something along those lines. She doesn't seem to have an original idea in her head because not only was Weeds a ripoff, Orange is the New Black is a ripoff of another show about a woman's prison as well called Wentworth.

Wentworth is Australian/New Zealand I'm pretty sure and while it's more of a drama than a comedy, but it's really good. It's also on Netflix so if anyone is looking for another show to watch it's definitely worth a look.

Actually it's based off of a book, at least originally.  The wife read it a few years ago.  The show quickly branched away from that though and then probably starts to follow the show you're mentioning.

The Vietnam War: A Film by Ken Burns

This s### is heavy! It's on Netflix for anyone interested.

I know almost nothing of this war. My education system failed. We never covered it at all school. My entire Vietnam education is from Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now and Forrest Gump! 

14 hours ago, ubkev said:

The Vietnam War: A Film by Ken Burns

This s### is heavy! It's on Netflix for anyone interested.

I know almost nothing of this war. My education system failed. We never covered it at all school. My entire Vietnam education is from Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now and Forrest Gump! 

I watched the whole thing. I can't believe how much footage they have from that war. I was young but remember some of it. As a Canadian we obviously were not affected.

A few things that stood out to me were how young these guys were. Many of them were sons of WW2 vets and wanted to be heroes of their own era. The government knowing there was little chance of winning and sending half a million soldiers is tough to fathom as well.

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Holy sh!t, cults are absolutely insane. Just reading about the details about Jonestown too after watching Wild Wild County, guess that's where the saying 'don't drink the kool aide' comes from

Damn kids today.

• Haha (+1) 1