Around the NHL 2016-2017

spndnchz

Vesey returns to Nashville tonight.

I know, he can't return to where he never was, ya smartasses

Very loud boos for Jimmy boy when he stepped on the Nashville ice, followed by a "Vesey sucks!" chant each of his shifts. It was glorious.

So my son and I made the game-day decision today to attend Islanders-Senators.  I was able to procure lower level, row 15, close to the blue line seats for $59 per ticket on seatgeek including fees.

Not a high-profile matchup, to be sure, but it will be my first live NHL game this season and I'm kinda psyched to go with my son.  Plus I don't think I've seen Karlsson live, so that should be interesting.  (Actually, between him and 2018 UFA Tavares, that's 2 top-10 NHL players.)

I'll report back if anything remarkable happens.

So my son and I made the game-day decision today to attend Islanders-Senators.  I was able to procure lower level, row 15, close to the blue line seats for $59 per ticket on seatgeek including fees.

Not a high-profile matchup, to be sure, but it will be my first live NHL game this season and I'm kinda psyched to go with my son.  Plus I don't think I've seen Karlsson live, so that should be interesting.  (Actually, between him and 2018 UFA Tavares, that's 2 top-10 NHL players.)

How was the game and how'd your kid like it? I watched most of it. Ya got to see a lot of goals at least.

Also, how is that place to watch hockey? Seems like it could be fun just cuz it's so odd.

Actually I'm curious as to how it went, how did your boy enjoy the show, sounds like you had awesome seats too!!!

How was the game and how'd your kid like it? I watched most of it. Ya got to see a lot of goals at least.

Also, how is that place to watch hockey? Seems like it could be fun just cuz it's so odd.

Actually I'm curious as to how it went, how did your boy enjoy the show, sounds like you had awesome seats too!!!

Thanks boys.  It was pretty fun.  It was the 2nd hockey game I've attended at the Barclays Center (the 1st was vs the Sabres last year -- the Sabres are going to be here this coming Friday but I'll be out of town for Xmas and thus unable to attend). 

It's a great arena, and pretty close to where I live -- for a 7:00 pm game, we left our house at 6:40, hopped on a city bus and the arena was about a 5-minute walk from where the bus dropped us off.  We were in our seats before the end of the anthems.  However:  2 sandwiches, 1 beer, 1 water and 1 bag of chips set me back $51!!

The setup for hockey is obviously a bit strange, but you don't notice it if you're not sitting in the obstructed-view seats.  We had a great view of the game and it was pretty much like sitting in the lower level in any other hockey arena.

As for the game:  Karlsson didn't dominate, and made a few lousy passes, but he didn't need to dominate and his speed and puck skills were very strong and in evidence.  It kinda seemed like Ottawa was saving him for when they needed him.  Leddy doesn't have Karlsson's puck skills, but he does have the speed -- he's gotta be one of the fastest players in the NHL.  Tavares has less speed than one might expect from a star player, but he has great skills, timing and determination.

So, Ottawa jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the 1st.  The Isles tied it at 2-2 in the 2nd, and the crowd got good and loud -- but, in a classic "loser team" move, they committed a penalty about 20 seconds after the GTG, and Ottawa scored on the ensuing PP, so it was 3-2 at the end of 2.  Then Ottawa made it 4-2 about 5 min into the 3rd, and the Isles didn't really threaten.  So the game was only in play, and the crowd was only really into it, for about 1 period.

My general view on the Isles in Brooklyn is that they will attract good crowds and fan support once they have a respectable team -- i.e. make the playoffs for a few years in a row, win a round here and there, and generally seem like a well-run organization.  This has not historically been the case and isn't this year either -- they look like losers.  Fortunately, there is now professional ownership in place, and I kinda expect them to bring in a new GM by next summer.

In the meantime, it was a nice evening out with my boy, and it certainly is nice to have an NHL team (and NBA, and concerts, etc.) pretty close to home -- and plenty of cheap tickets available for impulse purchases.

Looks like my buddy Vinny Viola might have something to distract his attention away from the team he's playing a part in destroying. Trump has nominated him as his Secretary of the Army. Apparently he's going to have Doug Cifu take over his duties. Not sure if Cifu taking over is any better, he has just about as much hockey experience as Vinny. If Cifu has to be in Florida while Vinny is in DC, they may have to surgically remove Cifu from Vinny's balls.

Looks like my buddy Vinny Viola might have something to distract his attention away from the team he's playing a part in destroying. Trump has nominated him as his Secretary of the Army. Apparently he's going to have Doug Cifu take over his duties. Not sure if Cifu taking over is any better, he has just about as much hockey experience as Vinny. If Cifu has to be in Florida while Vinny is in DC, they may have to surgically remove Cifu from Vinny's balls.

maybe he'll sell the team to QC :p

However:  2 sandwiches, 1 beer, 1 water and 1 bag of chips set me back $51!!

Smell can tell me if I am doing this wrong, but... DA FOOK?

Between filthy rich oilman Tillerson for SofS and VV for SecArmy, TP has to be wondering when the call is going to come.

The closing of every single politics thread is in and of itself a political statement. Why do the mods get to have a political voice and the board doesn't?

Just deleting all the threads isn't moving forward any conversation. There is no waiting period that will elapse when Donald Trump will stop being a polarizing figure. This is the world we live in for the next 4 years.

Please stop trying to stop us from talking about the world we live in with people that we care about.

The start of the Canes-Red Wings Game has been delayed in Carolina because of a problem with the ice cooling system. This explains the poor ice conditions on Saturday

It's canceled. They showed the crowd a game of solitaire, a coach interview, the Leafs game, Wheel of Fortune, and a video feed of a fireplace. Maybe more.

Speaking of Leafs game, Matthews scores to jump into a tie for 6th in league scoring, passing Ovechkin, Carter, Panarin, Malkin,and Kucherov. Tied with Tarasenko. He's got 51 games left to get 9 goals and tie Jack's rookie year total after starting with 15 in his first 31 games.

Edited by Randall Flagg

It's canceled. They showed the crowd a game of solitaire, a coach interview, the Leafs game, Wheel of Fortune, and a video feed of a fireplace. Maybe more.

Speaking of Leafs game, Matthews scores to jump into a tie for 6th in league scoring, passing Ovechkin, Carter, Panarin, Malkin,and Kucherov. Tied with Tarasenko. He's got 51 games left to get 9 goals and tie Jack's rookie year total after starting with 15 in his first 31 games.

He's great. Might be better than Jack. But also Babcock.

He's great. Might be better than Jack. But also Babcock.

He's better than Jack (I expect handwritten apologies from everyone that yelled at me for saying this during the summer. And I remember that you didn't, True, no worries. :) )

Leafs fans complain about Babcock a lot :lol: Apparently he loves Zach Hyman and other grinders like AV loves Tanner Glass, or [any Pittsburgh coach] loves Kunitz following Crosby 60 feet behind the play. Hasn't taken him from Auston's side yet, and as a result his assist totals aren't where they should be (like how it took Jack a month to get his first because everyone kept missing tap-ins)

But yeah, Matthews is a better player right now. He generates scoring chances at an obscene level and seems to do very well in all of the possession areas Jack is still bad at. His ceiling is definitely lower than Jack's, because of Jack's athleticism, though. IMO. Sort of how Malkin would spend every other year as the best player in the world, sometimes when Crosby was hurt, and other times when he wasn't.

He's better than Jack (I expect handwritten apologies from everyone that yelled at me for saying this during the summer. And I remember that you didn't, True, no worries. :) )

Leafs fans complain about Babcock a lot :lol: Apparently he loves Zach Hyman and other grinders like AV loves Tanner Glass, or [any Pittsburgh coach] loves Kunitz following Crosby 60 feet behind the play. Hasn't taken him from Auston's side yet, and as a result his assist totals aren't where they should be (like how it took Jack a month to get his first because everyone kept missing tap-ins)

But yeah, Matthews is a better player right now. He generates scoring chances at an obscene level and seems to do very well in all of the possession areas Jack is still bad at. His ceiling is definitely lower than Jack's, because of Jack's athleticism, though. IMO. Sort of how Malkin would spend every other year as the best player in the world, sometimes when Crosby was hurt, and other times when he wasn't.

Babcock isn't perfect, for sure. What I was trying to get at was he coaches a system that, ya know, promotes offense. I'm curious what Jack would have looked like in such a situation.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.