Around the NHL 2016-2017

spndnchz

Babcock isn't perfect, for sure. What I was trying to get at was he coaches a system that, ya know, promotes offense. I'm curious what Jack would have looked like in such a situation.

It would be interesting.. but his system at the same time is causing them to give up a lot of goals and hasn't done anything for them in the standings.  I suppose from an entertainment point of view it could be said the games are more entertaining because there's more scoring but at the same time there are a lot of bad goals given up which usually frustrates fans as well.

If the Leafs can manage to outscore their opponents on a consistent basis by maintaining their scoring pace but reducing the goals allowed then I will be more impressed.

One could argue that Buffalo has their talent pool a little further along but at the same time there have been some significant injuries that impact their current record.  Imagine the Leafs without Matthews for 21 games and I wonder where they would be right now.

I think Babcock is a great coach, but I'm not seeing perfection on the ice yet from his team.

It would be interesting.. but his system at the same time is causing them to give up a lot of goals and hasn't done anything for them in the standings. I suppose from an entertainment point of view it could be said the games are more entertaining because there's more scoring but at the same time there are a lot of bad goals given up which usually frustrates fans as well.

If the Leafs can manage to outscore their opponents on a consistent basis by maintaining their scoring pace but reducing the goals allowed then I will be more impressed.

One could argue that Buffalo has their talent pool a little further along but at the same time there have been some significant injuries that impact their current record. Imagine the Leafs without Matthews for 21 games and I wonder where they would be right now.

I think Babcock is a great coach, but I'm not seeing perfection on the ice yet from his team.

Oh I'm not arguing that the Leafs are good, just that the way they play maximizes offensive output and yes, it's fun. Being fun is the right kind of being bad!

The more pertinent question is why they're a mess defensively: the coach and/or the players? I look up and down that roster, and I see very few players who are solid defensively, but a lot of offensive firepower. I also don't remember Babcock's Detroit teams being so loosey goosey, so I'm thinking the players aren't capable of doing what he wants, or he recognized with that roster that his only hope was to out-score teams so he adjusted his system. Maybe he wouldn't even have the team playing the same way with our roster. Who knows. All I know is the Leafs are highly entertaining to watch, even if they're not very good.

Oh I'm not arguing that the Leafs are good, just that the way they play maximizes offensive output and yes, it's fun. Being fun is the right kind of being bad!

The more pertinent question is why they're a mess defensively: the coach and/or the players? I look up and down that roster, and I see very few players who are solid defensively, but a lot of offensive firepower. I also don't remember Babcock's Detroit teams being so loosey goosey, so I'm thinking the players aren't capable of doing what he wants, or he recognized with that roster that his only hope was to out-score teams so he adjusted his system. Maybe he wouldn't even have the team playing the same way with our roster. Who knows. All I know is the Leafs are highly entertaining to watch, even if they're not very good.

Their possession stats destroy ours, right? They manhandle teams, they just have a bad defense so it often doesn't matter. 99 shot attempts against Colorado recently.

Their possession stats destroy ours, right? They manhandle teams, they just have a bad defense so it often doesn't matter. 99 shot attempts against Colorado recently.

Yea. I haven't checked in several weeks, but last I looked they were one of the best teams of the modern era (which I'll loosely define as since the lost season) offensively. Tire fire defensively, though, and I don't think it's only their blue line that's the problem--their forwards as a group are pretty one-dimensional. Who is really good defensively? Kadri and Bozak? Their wingers are poop.

What I remember about Babcock's Detroit teams equates to.. Lidstrom, Kronwall, Zetterberg, Datsyuk.  

His 2008 Stanley Cup year - add Chelios, Hossa, Draper, Brad Stuart.

He had some talent there.  

We'll see how he does long term with the Leafs.  I can see how they are exciting to watch.. I guess it's better to lose big than lose small right?

What I remember about Babcock's Detroit teams equates to.. Lidstrom, Kronwall, Zetterberg, Datsyuk.

His 2008 Stanley Cup year - add Chelios, Hossa, Draper, Brad Stuart.

He had some talent there.

We'll see how he does long term with the Leafs. I can see how they are exciting to watch.. I guess it's better to lose big than lose small right?

I remember this debate. Babcock cultivated that talent

2nd oldest player ever to make NHL debut age 30..

Nice.  I just had to look up the record after seeing your post.  Check out a sweet Age Distribution graph here: http://www.quanthockey.com/Distributions/RookieAgeDistribution.php

Connie Madigan was 38 when he made his debut in 1972-73 for the Blues:

The honor of the oldest first timer goes to Hugh Lehman who played as a goalie for the Chicago Black Hawks in the 1926‑27 season. Despite being in his 40s he played respectable 44 games during the season, only to retire after the following season. Officially, Connie Madigan holds the record for the oldest rookie, since Hugh Lehman had a notable pro career prior to the establishment of the NHL.

Cam Fowler's season shows why some people here were all over trading for him this past offseason. Sigh

I'd still try to make a deal.... Probably will take one of Bailey/Baptise/Fasching a 1st and somebody like Ennis or Girgensons.    I'd do it in a heart beat.  

I wonder what the proposed deal was on draft day, apparently they were close, very close, but it fell through.  

I'd still try to make a deal.... Probably will take one of Bailey/Baptise/Fasching a 1st and somebody like Ennis or Girgensons. I'd do it in a heart beat.

I wonder what the proposed deal was on draft day, apparently they were close, very close, but it fell through.

Another poster planet Kashyyyk. It would take Reinhart, or maybe Kane plus Baptiste. We sure arent getting a top pairing D for a pile of garbage. Edited by inkman

I'd still try to make a deal.... Probably will take one of Bailey/Baptise/Fasching a 1st and somebody like Ennis or Girgensons.    I'd do it in a heart beat.  

It was probably our first and other stuff.

Nice.  I just had to look up the record after seeing your post.  Check out a sweet Age Distribution graph here: http://www.quanthockey.com/Distributions/RookieAgeDistribution.php

Connie Madigan was 38 when he made his debut in 1972-73 for the Blues:

Actually, second oldest to make it to the Minnesota Wild.

Doh... reading fail on my part.   Still cool.. 

low scoring and boring games again...since they will not reduce goalie equipment...make the nets a little bigger and start calling interference again

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/decreased-obstruction-calls-obstructing-nhls-best-attractions/

I think it's been proven that 06'-07' was the unicorn of hockey years. It will never happen again as long as Gary Bettman is in charge.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.