Around the NHL 2016-2017

spndnchz

But they aren't grinding their opponents down, or making them turn. 

After the 1st period, when (I can't remember if it was Ray or May, but it doesn't matter) quoted Dave Barr as saying the 1st period went well because they did exactly what they wanted: got pucks deep and forced Boston's defense to chase...I almost lost my mind in the GDT, but refrained because we were winning. I should have gone on my rant.

After the 1st period, when (I can't remember if it was Ray or May, but it doesn't matter) quoted Dave Barr as saying the 1st period went well because they did exactly what they wanted: got pucks deep and forced Boston's defense to chase...I almost lost my mind in the GDT, but refrained because we were winning. I should have gone on my rant.

Yeah, heard that too.

So, Columbus and Minnesota won tonight, which means that their next game against each other either tomorrow night or Saturday night (too lazy to look) is the first time in NHL history that two teams on at least 12 game winning streaks will face each other.

The Islanders terrify me.

That squad went from team on the rise - anchored by a true stud in Tavares - to a team that is on the verge of being an absolute disaster.

A cautionary tale? Or an anomaly produced by a wing-nut GM?

They have lost a ton of talent the last two offseasons. It's Tavares and a bunch of middling talent right now.

Hurricanes beat the Blackhawks....red wings win, seems like all the teams that need a W, are getting it..... Meanwhile we just suck

Not all teams are getting their wins, just ask me.

How do the Isles convince Tavares to re-sign?

We play the Isles tonight and I think one of the worst moves in the off-season was letting Okposo go and signing Ladd.

Ladd was trending downhill last season after his hernia surgery.

Ladd saves them a half a million a year...his salary is 1m per and the rest in signing bonuses...terrible move...how long is that contract going to haunt them???

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if they took the W from the Jets tonight.

If the draft were today, we would be drafting 10th....we need to lose more games.

LOTS of Jets fans wanting to pick up Halak.....no clue...

Not all teams are getting their wins, just ask me.

How do the Isles convince Tavares to re-sign?

We play the Isles tonight and I think one of the worst moves in the off-season was letting Okposo go and signing Ladd.

Ladd was trending downhill last season after his hernia surgery.

Ladd saves them a half a million a year...his salary is 1m per and the rest in signing bonuses...terrible move...how long is that contract going to haunt them???

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if they took the W from the Jets tonight.

If the draft were today, we would be drafting 10th....we need to lose more games.

LOTS of Jets fans wanting to pick up Halak.....no clue...

I think the Jets are stacked enough with prospects, they can look to winning at this point.

Just watched some incredible hockey between Det/Tor. I forgot what good hockey looked like. When will the Sabres ever catch a break? McDavid tied for the league lead in pts and Matthews already has 20 goals less than halfway through the season. I'm sure the Sabres will win the lottery this year because the draft isn't nearly as strong as the past two. I really hope DD was watching the game so he could see how to utilize young talent. He has no clue how to coach.

I'm curious (partial devils advocate) what if Matthews and Mcdavid and teammates are just plain better than eichel and company? Eichel may be buffalo's superstar, but what if we are thinking just too much of our collective team.

This in no way defends Bylsma

I think Matthews is better than Eichel--better hockey sense, better off the puck, better hands. Jack's a more explosive skater and has a better shot, but at the very least, Matthews is a more mature hockey player. McDavid is better than both, full stop...but even he just had like an 8 game skid of only 4 points.

That said, I don't think the difference between Matthews and Eichel is especially large, and it's nowhere near as large as the gap between Babcock (top-3 coach) and Bylsma (AHL coach). 

You guys wanna trade?

We have only been close to healthy for 5 or 6 games so I am willing to give Maurice the season at a minimum....no interest in Bylsma at all.

Just lost Dano for 8 weeks and Myers is STILL out.....our 3rd pairing D is horrendous.

I think Matthews is better than Eichel--better hockey sense, better off the puck, better hands. Jack's a more explosive skater and has a better shot, but at the very least, Matthews is a more mature hockey player. McDavid is better than both, full stop...but even he just had like an 8 game skid of only 4 points.

That said, I don't think the difference between Matthews and Eichel is especially large, and it's nowhere near as large as the gap between Babcock (top-3 coach) and Bylsma (AHL coach). 

How dare you say that Matthews has better hands or hockey sense than Jack on this board! It's not allowed! 

I hate that Matthews ended up in Toronto. He's a treat to watch and a very likable kid. The fact that his success = success for Toronto sucks haha.

The comparisons between McDavid-Eichel-Matthews are inevitable and will frustrate Sabres fans for years, especially if Jack does wind up the third best of the bunch. But personally, I love it. The young talent is good for the league and should only motivate Jack. If he winds up the third best but #15 winds up in the rafters, I don't think anyone can complain. Crosby and Ovi are better than Patrick Kane. I think Chicago fans are over it. Winning will hush these debates, and Jack's recent reactions prove he hates to lose. I don't care if Matthews and McDavid duke it out for the Art Ross if Jack wins the Con Smythe. These guys have 15-20 years left to write their stories. We're still early in the first chapter. I can't wait to watch them all play out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.