Around the NHL 2016-2017

spndnchz

Blue Jackets about to win their 11th straight, smoking the Pens 7-1. They've picked up points in 26 of 31 games this year.

Raise your hand if you saw this coming.......

ugh, I'm in a season long pool where 30 people are each assigned to a team through a random draw. The team you get is your team for the year. The point of the pool is if your team scores 7 goals, and is the only team that week to score 7 you win the pot. If no team scores 7, or multiple teams score 7 the pot carries over to next week. Well I was lucky enough to get Pittsburgh and last week won a pot of like 6 weeks. Then Tuesday they score 7 again, and then last night have 7 scored on them. So close....

That Columbus roster is impressive. City is starting to get excited. Apparently had a big crowd for the penguins game. If their hot streak lasts past the buckeyes season, they could really get the fans believing in them. They are hungry for a winner but need to believe first.

Sabres come to Columbus twice this year. At this point in their respective seasons, I'm as interested in seeing the Jackets as much as, or more than the Sabres.

That Columbus roster is impressive. City is starting to get excited. Apparently had a big crowd for the penguins game. If their hot streak lasts past the buckeyes season, they could really get the fans believing in them. They are hungry for a winner but need to believe first.

Sabres come to Columbus twice this year. At this point in their respective seasons, I'm as interested in seeing the Jackets as much as, or more than the Sabres.

I've been to two games in Columbus. Both times to see the Sabres. Just like 80% of the arena both nights, if I recall correctly. It's a gorgeous place to see a game, in a cool downtown setting. It's begging for a winning franchise, and hemmoraging money in the meantime. We're it not for the obvious fact that Carolina is headed straight to Quebec in the next dpfewmyears, I'd worry. But who knows?

ugh, I'm in a season long pool where 30 people are each assigned to a team through a random draw. The team you get is your team for the year. The point of the pool is if your team scores 7 goals, and is the only team that week to score 7 you win the pot. If no team scores 7, or multiple teams score 7 the pot carries over to next week. Well I was lucky enough to get Pittsburgh and last week won a pot of like 6 weeks. Then Tuesday they score 7 again, and then last night have 7 scored on them. So close....

Poor bugger that got the Sabres.  They might as well forget the whole thing.  No chance at that pool, ever.

I've been to two games in Columbus. Both times to see the Sabres. Just like 80% of the arena both nights, if I recall correctly. It's a gorgeous place to see a game, in a cool downtown setting. It's begging for a winning franchise, and hemmoraging money in the meantime. We're it not for the obvious fact that Carolina is headed straight to Quebec in the next dpfewmyears, I'd worry. But who knows?

Agree regarding the arena and the arena district.  The taxpayers were forced to bail out the Jackets and Nationwide Arena, however, so the financials are now solid from what I understand.

16 years, 2 playoff appearances, 2-8 combined in those 2 series.  Almost as bad as the Bills, but not quite.  The fans are righteously cautious imo.

Well it looks like this guy won't be the next Sabres coach any time soon.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/penguins-mike-sullivan-extension-1.3912894

I'm a little surprised they didn't do this sooner.  He took over and turned them into a cup winner and their good play has continued this season.

Well it looks like this guy won't be the next Sabres coach any time soon.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/penguins-mike-sullivan-extension-1.3912894

I'm a little surprised they didn't do this sooner.  He took over and turned them into a cup winner and their good play has continued this season.

Guess they were affraid of another Mike Johnson thing happening.

It's incredible that Crosby can just decide to be the best goal-scorer in the world.

Truly incredible. He did it another year too, the year he topped 50. When he wants to pass, he's the best playmaker. When he wants to score, he's the best goal scorer. His pace this year is crazy. Put this guy in Gretzky's era and his goal totals are looking pretty similar, I'm guessing. He'd be threatening a 50 in 50 type deal. Heck, he's close to that pace NOW.

Does anyone really like the Leafs roster more than ours? I see one glsing advantage they have

It's really close for me. At forward, I think it's pretty clear Matthews is currently better than Eichel, but I'd take O'Reilly over anyone else they have to offer, and I also think Okposo is clearly better than JVR as the veteran scoring winger. It'll really come down to Marner/Nylander vs Reinhart/Nylander, with the former right now being better than the latter, but who knows long term. On the blue line I'd rank Risto > Rielly > Gardiner > McCabe >nobodycaresthey'repoopy. Goaltending seems a wash to me.

All that said, I'd love to see what our forwards could do (particularly Jack & Samson) with a coach that plays an offensive system.

On the Leafs: they have as much dead weight on their roster as we do. Hyman, Komarov, Martin, Hunwick, Marincin, etc? The difference is they're winning games and chasing a playoff position, while we talk about games we could win and muse about possibly getting into position to chase a playoff position. Oh, and they're fun, have a positive goal differential, and are in the top half of the league in possession.

On the Leafs: they have as much dead weight on their roster as we do. Hyman, Komarov, Martin, Hunwick, Marincin, etc? The difference is they're winning games and chasing a playoff position, while we talk about games we could win and muse about possibly getting into position to chase a playoff position. Oh, and they're fun, have a positive goal differential, and are in the top half of the league in possession.

But they aren't grinding their opponents down, or making them turn. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.