Eichel injured in practice (10/12)

PASabreFan

Hard to avoid high ankle in hockey skates. You really can't sprain low. The boot doesn't flex enough.

Agree, normally in his situation you're talking about a break, not a sprain. The boot is extremely stiff so if you bend your leg back that way it puts tremendous pressure on the small bones of the leg above the ankle.

Agree, normally in his situation you're talking about a break, not a sprain. The boot is extremely stiff so if you bend your leg back that way it puts tremendous pressure on the small bones of the leg above the ankle.

Yup. Break would be very likely. Probably something similar to what Josie had last November. Which would put Jack out for at least 3 months before he can even skate?

Season isn't over. These guys are gonna battle. We'll be in a good spot when Jack gets back.

I appreciate the optimism.

But if it's broken, he's likely pegging a return in early February. I'm not sure getting ~30 games out of Eichel (following such an injury) would be nearly enough for this team.

I've seen the video of when I broke my leg playing last November and the way he went down is eerily similar. 

If he did what I did, a spiral fracture, the ankle itself would be fine (tendons need some work) and with immediate surgery/magical NHL medical care, he could be skating in as little as 3 months. That's a huge IF that's what he did.

I say less ankle because the hockey boot does help protect that. My skate blade touched my calf when I went down and my ankle itself was fine, the bone above it, not so much. 

The hope is it's a twist and fine. But I'd almost rather a break he can get pinned together and rehab quickly and move on from than a twist that will haunt him for years to come. 

God this sucks.