Casey Nelson signs two-year deal with Sabres

Hoss

SABRES EXTEND CASEY NELSON

BUFFALO, N.Y. (June 29, 2016) — The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has signed defenseman Casey Nelson to a two-year contract extension.

Nelson (6’2”, 183 lbs., 7/18/1992) made his professional debut with the Sabres during the 2015-16 season and recorded four assists and a plus-1 rating in seven games. Before signing with Buffalo, Nelson earned WCHA Defensive Player of the Year honors after recording 22 points (6+16) in 40 games for Minnesota State University.

The Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin native amassed 60 total points (14+46) and a plus-28 rating in 99 games during his collegiate career, leading the team in plus/minus rating and leading Minnesota State defensemen in scoring in both his sophomore and junior seasons.

https://sabresdigitalpressbox.com/2016/06/29/sabres-extend-casey-nelson/

Check out the reply to this 

Buffalo Sabres

DONE DEAL: The Sabres have signed Casey Nelson (@cNelly8) to a two-year contract extension: http://bufsabres.co/nelson 

ColumbusBlueJackets ‏@BlueJacketsNHL  7m

@BuffaloSabres wow

Their team sucks, but their twitter account is undefeated

Highly sought after collegfe FA and the kid didn't look out of place in his short stint last season. I think he is in the mix for 6/7 D.

GO SABRES!!!

He looked down right lost in his own end most of the time.    He could be a depth guy down the road, but should spend most if not all of the season in Rochester.    

That said, Rochester needs the help, they sucked last year.   Building a successful franchise in Roch is a high priority for GMTM.    

He looked down right lost in his own end most of the time.    He could be a depth guy down the road, but should spend most if not all of the season in Rochester.    

That said, Rochester needs the help, they sucked last year.   Building a successful franchise in Roch is a high priority for GMTM.

He had a few lapses to be sure, but he also had brilliant moments as well. He certainly warranted the faith and investment the organization has placed in him. And it was easy to see why he was so highly regarded coming out of college.

GO SABRES!!!

Between him and Franson for #3 RHD.

Anyway, happy he signed (not that it was ever really in question). Liked what I saw offensively in his super limited action.

Well Franzon's play last season inspired me to not give up on my dream of playing for the Sabres, and i can't even skate. I think it's safe who will be our 3RHD

well yes, I suppose most first timers to NHL kind of look lost. He will get better. Has the offensive talent but needs to work n his defense. It might happen it might not

Between him and Franson for #3 RHD.

Anyway, happy he signed (not that it was ever really in question). Liked what I saw offensively in his super limited action.

Him and Gorges in our bottom 6 wouldn't be to bad.   Gorges is the stay at home D he can use next to him and teach him.

You are nuckin futs...hes top 4, nice oulet passes, got better as he played more and tough in corners, his last two games were his best, plus good skater and puck carrier. Yes he needs experience and weight, but think Bill Haight shut down guys who could start breakout.

Will he be in our top 6 next year?

Has to be #7 on the depth chart at the moment.

Not as high on him as some of you seem to be, but we could do worse in that role, or as the first call-up.

Where are Gragnani, Morrisonn, Brennan, Finley, Pardy, Ruhwedel, Strachan and Benoit these days anyway?

Has to be #7 on the depth chart at the moment.

Not as high on him as some of you seem to be, but we could do worse in that role, or as the first call-up.

Where are Gragnani, Morrisonn, Brennan, Finley, Pardy, Ruhwedel, Strachan and Benoit these days anyway?

I highly doubt any of this is on Youtube, but I'm going to say it anyway: watch him with the puck in the offensive zone, walk the line, head up, making passes. I know not a lot, but my enthusiasm for him was based on things like that, not on magical points like the Gragnani love was.

Small sample but Nelson did some nice things. I particularly like they way he pivots to a forward skating position when he receives the cross ice pass. It is almost instinctual. He got burned once or twice by the speed of NHL forwards, but instead of continuing to skate backwards he was transitioning to move out of the zone. Again small sample.

Edited by 3putt

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.