Casey Nelson signs two-year deal with Sabres

Hoss

I absolutely want to see what Nelson can do after a summer of training and hopefully getting the jitters out, for the reasons mentioned. Sick passing and skating on the point, and he could get his shot through. I don't have any expectations set. Just want to see what we have. There's a non-negligible chance he could be a hit. 

You are nuckin futs...hes top 4, nice oulet passes, got better as he played more and tough in corners, his last two games were his best, plus good skater and puck carrier. Yes he needs experience and weight, but think Bill Haight shut down guys who could start breakout.

Anyone agree with this?

Well Franzon's play last season inspired me to not give up on my dream of playing for the Sabres, and i can't even skate. I think it's safe who will be our 3RHD

Well Rockon ThirtyEight! And welcome to the Buffalo Sabres :w00t:  

well yes, I suppose most first timers to NHL kind of look lost. He will get better. Has the offensive talent but needs to work n his defense. It might happen it might not

So perfect top 4 then?

K-9, on 29 Jun 2016 - 5:43 PM, said:

He had a few lapses to be sure, but he also had brilliant moments as well. He certainly warranted the faith and investment the organization has placed in him. And it was easy to see why he was so highly regarded coming out of college.

GO SABRES!!!

Totally agree.  I liked Nelson's debut. 

^

Still?

Check out the reply to this

Buffalo Sabres

45]

Verified account@BuffaloSabres

DONE DEAL: The Sabres have signed Casey Nelson (@cNelly8) to a two-year contract extension: http://bufsabres.co/nelson

ColumbusBlueJackets@BlueJacketsNHL 7m

7 minutes ago

@BuffaloSabres wow

Their team sucks, but their twitter account is undefeated

Outstanding Twittering right there. Sabres digital media folks lack a sense of irony -- aren't savvy. Edited by That Aud Smell

I honestly forgot all about this kid. He was SO impressive at the end of the season, I'm not quite sure how I managed to let him slip my mind. Happy to have him back and in retrospect it makes the Pysyk trade look a little better if they think he has a legitimate shot at making the team out of camp.

Won't let myself get too excited over 7 games -- I was a big supporter of Nathan Paetsch and Chad Ruhwedel in the past, and they didn't exactly pan out as I hoped -- but I think everyone liked what they saw from him last season.

Anyone agree with this?

I do :), That being said it was only 7 games. Lets see him in a full season. Nice shot, again good passer and when I say physical more a controller than hitter, which reminds me of Haijt.... Your not gonna do that kinda attitude.

I still think he becomes top 4 rapidly. Especially if he put weight on.

Edited by North Buffalo

I do :), That being said it was only 7 games. Lets see him in a full season. Nice shot, again good passer and when I say physical more a controller than hitter, which reminds me of Haijt.... Your not gonna do that kinda attitude.

I still think he becomes top 4 rapidly. Especially if he put weight on.

He needs close to 30 lbs. It's going to take a heck of a lot more than 1 off season to do that. I'm certain one of the reasons GMTM shipped Pysyk out was his size. He tipped the scales at a buck eighty something.

It amazes me how quick fans will jump on a bandwagon and then cling to it no matter how far the ship sinks: see Nathan Paetsch or MA Gragnani. Nelson may be great but he's got a heck of a lot to prove before I pencil him into the Amerks lineup let alone Sabres top 4.

He needs close to 30 lbs. It's going to take a heck of a lot more than 1 off season to do that. I'm certain one of the reasons GMTM shipped Pysyk out was his size. He tipped the scales at a buck eighty something.

It amazes me how quick fans will jump on a bandwagon and then cling to it no matter how far the ship sinks: see Nathan Paetsch or MA Gragnani. Nelson may be great but he's got a heck of a lot to prove before I pencil him into the Amerks lineup let alone Sabres top 4.

Oh I hear you, and dont usually jump, something about Casey's enthusiasm and seriousness on the ice combined with the above mentioned skill set has me jumping. Of course we shall see.

I will reserve judgement on Nelson. If he makes the team he will have to deal with an 82 game grind. On top of that by game 41 if he plays regularly teams will know his tendencies. Can he adjust when teams try to exploit his weakness or will he crumble? I like him but he hasn't shown anything other than he could be an NHL player. 

Nelson is a far better prospect than either Paetsch or Gragnani; much more to be enthused about moving forward. He is a lock for the Amerks if he isn't kept as a 6/7 here. 

GO SABRES!!!

Really?

Hmm. There's nothing so intoxicating as hope and potential.

Yeah, if you believe the hype surrounding his status as an UFA coming out of college. 

And what have we got if we don't have hope? 

Bottom line is there is no reason to ever get carried away with prospects. They either make it or they don't. Potential is nice, but all it means is you haven't done it yet. 

GO SABRES!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.