Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

Huey Long of Louisiana was the master of the filibuster, reading everything from Shakespeare to recipes just to hear the sound of his own voice.

Huey Long was also assassinated. 

Apropos of the above:

1.  "All the King's Men" is a great movie.

2.  Chris Rock's riff on Tupac and Biggie getting "assassinated" is a classic.

3.  I think this is the first time I've ever used the word "apropos" in a post.

Apropos of the above:

1.  "All the King's Men" is a great movie.

2.  Chris Rock's riff on Tupac and Biggie getting "assassinated" is a classic.

3.  I think this is the first time I've ever used the word "apropos" in a post.

Read the book.  It's excellent, and Warren is underappreciated in general as an author.

Considering the city is at the top of his priority list, if he has a "short list", wouldn't he want to visit them before making a decision? I'm not sure if he ever set foot in Nashville, but he still turned them down even though they are a Cup contender, they were offering him a top-6 position, and we're going to give him the maximum offer. To me, that says he didn't want to go to the city of Nashville above all. Now, although allowed and probably has been invited, he hasn't even set foot in Buffalo. That worrisome above all. What's he going to do, decide where he's going to sign based on the team's pitch, then go visit?

He's already said what he's basing his decision on. He has said nothing about facilities, city, things to do the area, etc.... playing a role.

I mean I get it, this is the apex of silly season, but this particular silliness is getting a bit tired.  Can't we go back to trying to trade Zach Bogosian for 50 more pages while we wait?

I used to feel that way, but once you embrace it like the rest of us, it will morph into the best thread on Sabrespace.

I'm just waiting for the report of Jimmy seen driving toward Malibu in a white Bronco, with Terry Pegula talking intently to him about how wants to bring back the Goathead jerseys, but in blue and gold.

IMO Nylander is going to be a much better player than Vesey.

Let's hope (regardless of whether Vesey ends up a Sabre or not). Vesey is much closer to being at his ceiling at present than Nylander is. For Vesey to be better when all is said & done, either Nylander busted, Vesey was a serious lare bloomer, or a combination thereof.

Far more paths available to Nylander being better (says the guy that wants Vesey to sign & wanted a D @ 8).

He's already said what he's basing his decision on. He has said nothing about facilities, city, things to do the area, etc.... playing a role.

Why didn't he sign with Nashville then? They satisfied his list.

In addition, from the BN article, I just loved how he thanked Buffalo for giving him his practice interview.

Edited by kas23

I keep going back to the same thing with this guy...just how good is he? Nobody really knows, and anything is a guess.

But I have to wonder....this year or next, how much better off are they with him in the lineup vs Bailey? Or Carrier?

What is everyone expecting out of him? 15-20 goals out of him if he is a top 6 guy....and he may not be a liability in the D-zone, but he would still have a lot to learn about the NHL game? I'm not sure that is all that much better than what you will get with one of the guys who were down on the farm last year.

The more I think about this, the only thing I can come up with is that Murray has a deal on the table (that isn't going away), or maybe a FEW deals that involve bringing in a D-man to the Sabres but the Sabres have to give up a Fasching, Carrier, or Bailey. If Vesey signs he will be OK with making that deal (basically getting a 'free' replacement for Forward depth), but without Vesey, he'll stand his ground and go into the year with what they have.

That is the million $ question. Nashville thought he is good enough to jump into the NHL immediately on a good team in a top 6 role. That is a huge committment. If you think the guy is just another Kevin Hayes, you don't those kind of promises. GMTM must think the same or he wouldn't have made the trade for his rights. Instead he would have made a different deal, given Carrier a chance to win the job or gone with what we already had.

So i expect that GMTM thinks Vesey can produce at a minimum to Reinhart levels last year and grow from there. Say at least 20g 20a in year one and grow into a 30 30 guy.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Why didn't he sign with Nashville then? They satisfied his list.

In addition, from the BN article, I just loved how he thanked Buffalo for giving him his practice interview.

Nashville isn't in the northeast. They didn't satisfy his list. 

Why wouldn't it be?  Nashville's travel schedule is BRUTAL.  It's great city and would be a tremendous place for a young dude but being a Western Conference team from TENNESSEE would suck out loud.

AD decided to join us from TBD for a yearly sighting.

I read it and I agree.

At Heaven's Gate and The Cave are also well worth the read, especially the latter.  Currently working on The Flood, which is amazing, but which I've put down several times over several years for various reasons.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.