Around the NHL: 2016 Offseason

Hoss

I also think you misunderstand or over value the effect of a captain. He is not an assistant coach. Our own captain was demoted to the third line. The captain will have much less influence on success than a league leading scorer.

And True there were two parts to his assertion, one of which was Jack wasn't as good as Ryan is now. Ryan was not a Selke finalist last year.

I would remind you both that Imwas critical of Jack in the WCOH that in part lead to ###### storm. He has flaws, but he is growing and getting better. WC you see float I see indecision. As his experience grows the instinct will take over. He may never be a Selke finalist but he could be scoring leader. I'll take that. In no way am I bashing ROR I am of the belief that Jack has the charisma and work ethic to be a leader on this team and maybe even the captain. I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility that Samson wears the C either.

Captains have a ton of influence on success. Gionta was named captain because he is a vet and plays the game the right way, not because he's the best player on your team. Nobody is saying your leading scorer with have more of an affect, but that doesnt mean they should be the same thing

Jack is nowhere near as good as ROR right now

I'll keep drumming the float beat if I have to. But if two HCs see the same as I do, maybe I'm not wrong. When he moves his feet he's an entirely different player. He goes from elite to generational. If I'm in that locker room, I listen to the vet who is better and works harder every day rather than the kid who is the face of the franchise

If this was 3 years down the road, I'd argue for Jack. But right now, it had to be ROR IMO

Edited by WildCard

I also think you misunderstand or over value the effect of a captain. He is not an assistant coach. Our own captain was demoted to the third line. The captain will have much less influence on success than a league leading scorer.

And True there were two parts to his assertion, one of which was Jack wasn't as good as Ryan is now. Ryan was not a Selke finalist last year.

I would remind you both that Imwas critical of Jack in the WCOH that in part lead to ###### storm. He has flaws, but he is growing and getting better. WC you see float I see indecision. As his experience grows the instinct will take over. He may never be a Selke finalist but he could be scoring leader. I'll take that. In no way am I bashing ROR I am of the belief that Jack has the charisma and work ethic to be a leader on this team and maybe even the captain. I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility that Samson wears the C either.

I certainly do not--I think it's 99% manufactured conversation for people like us :)

(If ROR was on Chicago and Toews on Buffalo people would see ROR as a better player)

Only if Chicago had the same level of success with ROR. Toews gets accolades based on team success and if Buffalo starts winning so will ROR and others.

Only if Chicago had the same level of success with ROR. Toews gets accolades based on team success and if Buffalo starts winning so will ROR and others.

Yeah, my argument is that they would have had that. ROR is a beast, like Toews, and I don't think there's a meaningful difference between them other than the organization(s) they play for.

I just have trouble seeing most teams uniting behind 19-year-old. Kid has got to be special, or the really is no other choice.

McDavid was named captain at 19 because there really wasn't another choice.

I get the Eichel argument. I'm even OK with that move.

ROR is just such an obvious choice.

I just have trouble seeing most teams uniting behind 19-year-old. Kid has got to be special, or the really is no other choice.

McDavid was named captain at 19 because there really wasn't another choice.

I get the Eichel argument. I'm even OK with that move.

ROR is just such an obvious choice.

Kid has got to be special or no other choice, sure. McDavid and Eichel are special. They're not on Crosby's level yet (McDavid might get there), but Crosby was special. Landeskog was special. We've got special.

Kid has got to be special or no other choice, sure. McDavid and Eichel are special. They're not on Crosby's level yet (McDavid might get there), but Crosby was special. Landeskog was special. We've got special.

Sure did.

Edited by We've

To me, the captain should be voted on by the players. I expect this is Gionta's last year wearing the C.

If that is the case, I would expect the players to choose O'Reilly to wear the C. I'd also expect Eichel to get an A but could see Okposo having a very outside chance of getting that A. I'd also expect Ristolainen to get the D's A but could see that ending up elsewhere as well. Gorges might keep his or maybe Bogosian or Kulikov get it (far less likely).

O'Reilly is the 1 player I am positive will be wearing a letter next October if it's up to the players. Therefore, I'd expect the letter to be a C.

You guys are missing the main point here...

When the Sabres win it all, who do you want to be the first guy to raise that cup?

Willie Wonka

I'm 63 and my hometown teams have NEVER won a Super Bowl or a Stanley Cup. Chances are my guess is as close as anyone's as to who will hold up the Cup first. Yes I feel cheated.

tumblr_lkn7lnF4Rz1qi7ymho1_500.gif

Instantly one of my faves! Exposes real sentiment.

To me, the captain should be voted on by the players. I expect this is Gionta's last year wearing the C.

If that is the case, I would expect the players to choose O'Reilly to wear the C

This whole discussion is a year away because you are correct that Gio has it for this season. 

No matter who it is we'll be in good shape. The downside to ROR for me is he's not vocal enough. I don't see Eichel having that issue at all. He's a natural for the role.

Whether a player is 19, 29, or 39 there is no age aspect to who they will follow.

If a 19 year old player walks into the locker room and can act like a captain he will command respect without asking for it.  His work ethic and his personality are going to show.

If you have more than 1 player who falls into that mold then I would suspect the younger player would defer to the veteran and if the franchise decides that having the younger player as the C is better for marketing I suspect that both the younger and older player will understand the business aspects of that decision and the letter on the sweater will only matter for ceremonial puck drops and trophy presentations.