Around the NHL: 2016 Offseason

Hoss

Well, the official league year isn't over but there's already going to be a TON of moves/talk for what is gearing up to be an exciting year in the NHL. Likely the final year that the league has 30 teams, so let's have some fun.

To start it off:

Blackhawks use Teravainen to dump Bickell, wow!

[NEWS] #Canes acquire Teuvo Teravainen and Bryan Bickell from Chicago. Details: n.carhur.com/1Uzlxc3 pic.twitter.com/eCsu0CN0MN

Glenn Gulutzan is likely the Flames new HC

A native of The Pas, Manitoba, Gulutzan has been with the Canucks since 2013, when he left the Dallas Stars system to join Vancouver after being relieved as head coach of the Stars. Aside from his three years of experience with Vancouver and his two years as a head coach in Dallas, the former ECHL Las Vegas Wranglers bench boss has had no experience at the NHL level – so if he is indeed the new head coach in Calgary, he will come in as one of the league’s newer faces.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/report-glen-gulutzan-hired-flames-head-coach/

Edited by WildCard

Um. It's not next season yet.

This season is over. Every single move made at this point has absolutely no impact on 2015-16, according to my sources.

Do what you will, but this makes sense to me. I don't really care, though.

I mean

"Um, (insert text above here)."

Well, the official league year isn't over but there's already going to be a TON of moves/talk for what is gearing up to be an exciting year in the NHL. Likely the final year that the league has 30 teams, so let's have some fun.

To start it off:

Blackhawks use Teravainen to dump Bickell, wow!

Carolina Hurricanes

@NHLCanes

[NEWS] #Canes acquire Teuvo Teravainen and Bryan Bickell from Chicago. Details: n.carhur.com/1Uzlxc3 pic.twitter.com/eCsu0CN0MN

Seems like a steep price to offload just one year of Bickell..

So, the 2016-2017 Season thread was deleted, ya? Or nah?

We're going to start a thread to discuss it. Hold on a sec.

Not deleted -- it was merged into this one.  I would suggest using this one here until the season starts, but NBD either way.

So, the 2016-2017 Season thread was deleted, ya? Or nah?

Not deleted -- it was merged into this one.  I would suggest using this one here until the season starts, but NBD either way.

No sense of humor. :mellow:

Thanks, mods.

My only regret: I think my favourite post (of my own) in recent memory is marooned in the 2015-2016 season thread.

I'll hafta copy and paste it here, I suppose.

:w00t:

+++

Okay, here's my jerry-rigged attempt at carrying over what I enjoyed about the very end of the 2015-2016 Season thread.

PA 

It doesn't matter what anyone said. We'll all wait until the holidays to revise and extend our opinions. A lot of master politicians around here (and baiters).

Smell

Like fans are obliged to stay committed to their expectations. Set them in stone. 

To what end? So Team Storm Cloud leaders can smile in self-satisfaction at all the emo-carnage when things don't go as expected? 

I don't hold myself out as a pundit or prognosticator. I'm a fan. I want to have fun watching the team. I will set my expectations accordingly.

PA

That's all fine. And dandy. The problem is denying the previous expectations.

Smell

Well, that can be annoying, I guess. 

My advice to everyone: Feel free to proceed more or less as follows: 

Training Camp: WOO-HOO! GM TM is a GOD. I can't believe he managed to swing the deal(s) for ____________ and also bring in ___________. WE'RE GONNA WIN THAT CUP. WE'RE GONNA WIN THAT STANLEY CUP. ME AND THE BUFFALO SABRES, YEAH YEAH YEAH. 

20 Games in: Mmmaaannn. They should be better than this. Oh, well. At least _________ are looking terrific. 

40 Games in: BOOM. I KNEW it. I KNEW they had a ______ winning streak in them! PLAYOFFS OR BUST, BABY! 

60 Games in: Well, they are what they are at this point. A playoff bubble team. Tellin' ya: They really started taking on water after the injury/-ies to ________________ .  

80 Games in: You know what? Whatever. This was a fun season. The most fun I've had watching the Sabres in a decade. The team is headed in the right direction. They don't control their own destiny, sure. But they could still sneak in with a wildcard so long as ____________ loses tonight and then its last two games after that. GO SABRES!

Edited by That Aud Smell