GDT: Edmonton @ Buffalo, 7:30 pm est, 3-1-2016

WildCard

Dude, did you see him get walked? Good lord almighty. But ya know I'm a Bogo hater and have no justification for it. Our lockdown, physical, "make Crosby hate life" defenseman was a joke.

And he let a forward in for a point blank shot in OT that Lehner had to make a great save on.

He and Moulson represent 10 Million in cap hits for the next three years.

I watched the game while doing some work at home.

I've kind of decided that I feel the same way toward McDoofus as I feel about Syndey Crosby. I just hate getting beat by that . I thought the Sabres did a good job mostly of keeping the Eulers in check after the opening oh-, but when Jack didn't bury in OT, I kind of knew we were doomed.  On the plus side, the Sabres hung in there with the kind of AHL roster we grew familiar with the last couple of years.  I'm frustrated with Bylsma like the rest of you, but my pathetic hopefulness makes me think he's somehow throttling the youngsters on the team back a bit while he introduces them to his system and how to play at the NHL level, and that somehow next year he'll take the governor off and they'll run open loop to the Cup.

With this game though I think I became a nihilist.  They can win.  Or not.  None of this matters. 

Lot of sour on here tonight.
Guess I shouldn't be surprised at the emotional baggage attached to McDavid, but I am.

I surprised myself at how bitter I am that Buffalo doesn't have that .  Jack isn't showing his potential yet on a consistent basis like McDoofus is.

I can't blame any fan for jumping ship. Maybe I'm just looking for someone to scuttle the ship with.

I'm about in.  I was tolerant while the team was actually trying to ice an NHL roster.  This again?  this.  I'm not in it for this.  This shouldn't be allowed.

The GWG was a classic Buffalo groin punch. In the most anticipated head-to-head contest of the year, our less-touted rookie sensation goes for broke and whiffs, their rookie sensation grabs the ensuing rebound, goes coast-to-coast, and scores the winner. On our pond. CLASSIC BUFFALO!!!

Went to game.  Still in disbelief.  McDavid v Eichel conversation is done as far as I'm concerned.  Completely different level.  Sure maybe Sabres are better team in 3 years, and win a cup or two, but McDavid, just wow.

I thought Kassian had a good game. He and Bogo were battling for position for an extended time at one point, big fellas.

Kane chirping w/ Nurse would have been fun if escalated.  Or what if Kane v Kassian?  Too much at stake from Sabres side, but would be interesting.

McCabe was our best D.  Getting after it.  Only guy to actually get a hit on McDavid, but mostly he was just on the puck all night.

Pysyk assist on O'Reilly goal was also very good.  We were like "oh " as he curled around back there but was a real nice play.  Bought time, let things unfold, bam, on Reinhart's tape.  

Instant reply still sucks.  Muted a little since they had to review anyways with clock at 0:00, still, that's a goal.  Linesman missed it, no impact on creating the chance, hate it.

Rex Ryan casually visiting our section to chat with someone pre-game didn't help the experience "oh hey! more suck!".  Burnt out.

I wasn't quite so troubled by the McDavid GWG as I was by being pinned in our defensive zone for 2 minutes........... I kind of expected the goal........ I never expected the helpless feeling watching us chase the puck around for that long.....

Went to game.  Still in disbelief.  McDavid v Eichel conversation is done as far as I'm concerned.  Completely different level.  Sure maybe Sabres are better team in 3 years, and win a cup or two, but McDavid, just wow.

Good post. Tough to read, of course, but good.

And I agree wholeheartedly with this: Maybe Eichel's part of a better team in a few years, but there is no comparing them as individual talents. And that's okay. McDavid is just - out. of. this. world.

And I agree wholeheartedly with this: Maybe Eichel's part of a better team in a few years, but there is no comparing them as individual talents. And that's okay. McDavid is just - out. of. this. world.

Thanks.  And, ha!   :lol: You're right.

I volunteer for scuttle duty.

There's nothing left to be gained this year other than finishing as low as possible.

I think it would be fantastic if we won the lottery this year, now that no one is expecting it or even thinking about it.

Im thinking about it. have been for months.

I think we all saw first hand why Murray was so disappointed at the lottery last spring. He knew then that he lost a chance at the best player the NHL has seen since Lemieux. 

Not taking anything at all away from Eichel. He has the chance to lead the Sabres to the Cup and can be a great great player.  But if we keep comparing him to McDavid for the next decade, its a game he is sure to lose.

Edited by Crusader1969

Are you saying this because of his two goals? In particular the last one?

Are you saying this because of his two goals? In particular the last one?

I'm saying it based on games I've seen him play - some in Ontario juniors, some internationally (juniors), and a few in the NHL. 

He can do things with the puck at high speed that are utterly remarkable, astonishing. 

He also passes the little kid eye test. My youngest last night (who was allowed to watch the first period, and was remorsefully delighted when McDavid forced that turnover and scored) twice said spontaneously: Who's that?! He didn't know who had the puck, but on both occasions it was McDavid busting out of his zone or down the wing. The kid (McDavid) is an absolute delight to watch.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I'm saying it based on games I've seen him play - some in Ontario juniors, some internationally (juniors), and a few in the NHL. 

He can do things with the puck at high speed that are utterly remarkable, astonishing. 

He also passes the little kid eye test. My youngest last night (who was allowed to watch the first period, and was remorsefully delighted when McDavid forced that turnover and scored) twice said spontaneously: Who's that?! He didn't know who had the puck, but on both occasions it was McDavid busting out of his zone or down the wing. The kid (McDavid) is an absolute delight to watch.

Fair enough.

The adulation with respect to his last goal is unwarranted. It was a bad goal let in by the keeper. He should get as much credit for that as Legwand did for scoring from 160 ft out. I'll be damned if I get down on bended knee for a soft backhand.

The adulation with respect to his last goal is unwarranted. It was a bad goal let in by the keeper. He should get as much credit for that as Legwand did for scoring from 160 ft out. I'll be damned if I get down on bended knee for a soft backhand.

Disagree, and here's why: That is probably a soft goal in almost every situation, except the situation where the speed with which the play is coming at you is elite world class. That, to me, is the difference. Lehner wasn't where he was supposed to be because McDavid was moving at a rate and with a level of control that few other players (maybe no other players) on the planet can match. My belief is that if even really good NHLers try to make that play, they don't get to the net and/or Lehner is there with the angle shut down.

Disagree, and here's why: That is probably a soft goal in almost every situation, except the situation where the speed with which the play is coming at you is elite world class. That, to me, is the difference. Lehner wasn't where he was supposed to be because McDavid was moving at a rate and with a level of control that few other players (maybe no other players) on the planet can match. My belief is that if even really good NHLers try to make that play, they don't get to the net and/or Lehner is there with the angle shut down.

+1. Lehner got beat because McDavid is really damn good. Isn't this what everyone wants the NHL to be? A league where that goal pretty much always goes in? 

+1. Lehner got beat because McDavid is really damn good. Isn't this what everyone wants the NHL to be? A league where that goal pretty much always goes in?

No d4rksabre it isn't. You simplifying it to that doesn't further the conversation either.

I don't think that is what happened at all. If Lehner wasn't in position it had nothing to do with McDavid. McDavid skated down the wing from his defensive zone. Regardless of how fast we was going - Lehner probably had 3 seconds to move two feet to his left. And although he technically gets past Risto in the last 5 feet, he was comfortably contained to the outside and left with nothing but a poor angle shot on his backhand.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.