GDT: Edmonton @ Buffalo, 7:30 pm est, 3-1-2016

WildCard

I don't understand this board's culture.  Yesterday, d4rk was freaking out over the people pointing out these very failings of the current team.  Now that a "big game" has proven those failings true (again), it's okay to point out the failings?  :wallbash:

If this board didn't have double standards, it wouldn't have any standards at all. 

Mcdavid get kudos for his speed at the end it was fast and he got around risto..... But not around him enough for a glorious chance, If he meant to put it 5 hole on purpose at that speed then more kudos, but I think he just floated a backhand along the ice and it was a miserable job at goaltending.

Just watching the game, mcdavid is much more dynamic, but he has such a different style than eichel, he also plays with much better talent around him.... Don't underestimate that.

I'm just angry that Bylsma actual seems like a clueless coach

To stop painting with a broad brush that we all want every single shot to go in. It took skill for McDavid to get in a position to unleash that shot but the shot itself should have been stopped.

That's fair. I'm taking his getting into position as part of the goal sequence. I think everything that comes before the actual shot is what made Lehner miss.

It took skill for McDavid to get in a position to unleash that shot but the shot itself should have been stopped.

This gets closer to a position I can endorse. McDavid did remarkable hockey things to put himself in a position to take a shot that probably should've been stopped, but wasn't stopped maybe in part because McDavid did remarkable hockey things.

Great write up, True. I may or may not have gotten way too drunk and thrown up out of the window going 70 down the highway, so there is no way I can describe the game that well. But, I can say a few things:

Oof. As long as you weren't operating the vehicle, I guess.

This gets closer to a position I can endorse. McDavid did remarkable hockey things to put himself in a position to take a shot that probably should've been stopped, but wasn't stopped maybe in part because McDavid did remarkable hockey things.

Oof. As long as you weren't operating the vehicle, I guess.

Nope, passenger. More saliva than anything, I think the cold wind slapped me awake 

Damn, your driver didn't pull over for you? That's tough love man :lol:

It's not the first time. He'll make you piss your pants before pulling over. It makes pre-gaming from Rochester to Buffalo a very risky business  :lol:

How Lehner's name can be brought up as the reason they lost, is beyond me. Without him this game was 4-1 going into the 3rd.

Well to be clear I am not saying we lost because of Lehner. We lost because we scored 1 goal. I just expect my #1 goalie to stop the shot that he didn't I am disappointed in that. I also do not like Lehner's style of play but it has been effective thus far.

Soooo, all these post game wraps and no appreciation for that pass by Samson? What a beauty.

Fair enough. There were plenty of huzzahs in real time.

Hockey IQ.

Pretty Samson. 

That was all Samson!

Hell of a pass there

God Bless Sam Reinhart. 

That was beautiful, Rheinhardtt

Samson doing his thing!!!

Well to be clear I am not saying we lost because of Lehner. We lost because we scored 1 goal. I just expect my #1 goalie to stop the shot that he didn't I am disappointed in that. I also do not like Lehner's style of play but it has been effective thus far.

Fair enough, to be clear I wasn't necessarily pointing at you specifically.  ;)

LGR4GM, on 02 Mar 2016 - 1:38 PM, said:

Wasn't that the first time Lehner faced McDavid?  My guess would be Lehner will be wise to that kind of play in the future.  I also expect him to improve on the flopping around on the ice like Ullmark did. 

Your statement on the goal is THE point, IMHO.  If they were able to shut down McDavid for the game after that first goal, which they did, there's nothing to excuse not getting at least a 1 goal lead by the end of the third.

Great write up, True. I may or may not have gotten way too drunk and thrown up out of the window going 70 down the highway, so there is no way I can describe the game that well. But, I can say a few things:

- I initially sat next to 4 very, very annoying, very obnoxious Edmonton fans. I don't know why, but they just up and left after the 1st. That actually made my night

- I also sat in front of, and behind, 3/4 very fun and knowledgable hockey fans. Hell, I missed half the third talking about Cam Fowler, Stamkos, Larsson, and DD with the guy in front of me. It was really fun meeting someone in public who really knew his stuff (except for wanting to pay Stamkos $11m, c'mon guy)

- Jack looked amazing. You can tell this game meant something to him, because he was skating everywhere. Him and Kane should never be on the ice together though.

- Yeah, McDavid won the game. Kinda sucked but I had a great time and it's a great memory. I will say this, we get mad at lazy/passive Jack on here a ton, but I don't think that's going to be happening for awhile now. The guy Jack wanted to beat more than anyone else, in the draft, at world tournaments, at everything rally, juts came into his house and the stadium of fans who all wanted McDavid, and not only lost the game, but McDavid single-handedly won it. If that doesn't light a fire under Jack's ass, nothing will

:w00t:

-Let's just say last night did nothing to abate my "Bogo's bad" crusade. I'm currently accepting bids from contractors to expand the Bogo bunker. All are welcome to join once the extra space is created. Until then, feel free to fill out an application for the limited space.

-I fully believe this team needs to add two top-4 defensemen capable of moving the puck up the ice to our fowards quickly and consistently, or we'd morph Steven Stamkos into a 20 goal scorer. Having said that, holy hell does Eichel need to play with a high end finisher--he could probably have 15 more assists this season. I can't blame people for pining for a sniper in the offseason. 

-Evander Kane needs to be the best offensive player on his line, or he's a net negative--nobody cares if his shot selection reduces touches for Larsson or Gionta, but when his volume shooting prevents Eichel and Reinhart from touching the puck it's a huge problem. He kills offense with his poor hockey sense. Want an example of how stats don't tell the whole story? Look no further than Mr. Kane. He is a downright bad possession player.

Good to see that the bunker salesman visited someone else too and made them an offer they couldn't refuse.  My bunker has been built since early December, cemented fully by the Kings game.  Mine includes both the Kane and Bogo model, though.  Nice neighborhood.  I see it's becoming more and more occupied as the season goes on and we have a chance to evaluate our "concepts".

hmmm, perhaps.

I can expand. It's part of my argument that the mechanics of the game itself are important to increasing scoring. It's not just the shot, but the things that lead to it.

We want Lehner to make that save because the modern game has us trained to expect a save there.

A guy like McDavid transcends that. He's so damn good the game mechanics don't apply to him. He breaks them. And suddenly we're mad that Lehner doesn't make a "routine" save, even though it really isn't.

The question about increasing scoring to me is about how we can make routine saves less routine. McDavid can do it because he's special. What can we do for the players who aren't McDavid?

Remember that McDavid had to get by Risto to get that close to Lehner to push the puck in.  It may have surprised Lehner that he was allowed to get that close, and he may have been expecting a shot from farther out.  I questioned why Risto was out there so soon after spending the whole 2 minutes killing the penalty.  He had to have been winded.  Normally he wouldn't let someone get by him like that.

I can expand. It's part of my argument that the mechanics of the game itself are important to increasing scoring. It's not just the shot, but the things that lead to it.

We want Lehner to make that save because the modern game has us trained to expect a save there.

A guy like McDavid transcends that. He's so damn good the game mechanics don't apply to him. He breaks them. And suddenly we're mad that Lehner doesn't make a "routine" save, even though it really isn't.

The question about increasing scoring to me is about how we can make routine saves less routine. McDavid can do it because he's special. What can we do for the players who aren't McDavid?

They did in Anaheim and LA where he was invisible.  The context here may be the competition.  It was a pretty play getting in position to shoot, but the shot was nothing out of the ordinary.  

If I'm not mistaken, Risto had already been out there for most/all of the 4-on-3 up to that point and then was put right back for the last 2 seconds.

I thought the same.  I went to nhl.com to confirm this am and bounced shortly after empty handed and frustrated.  Didn't they used to have shift by shift stats?  

Watching the replay, it looks like McDavid did put a small move to the middle on him that opened up some space as he entered the zone.  Just enough to get a better line towards the net.  Impressive.  (also just realized McDavid parents were sitting just a few rows in front me, I noticed the fanciness when they took their seats and figured it was some business entertainment last minute stubhub deal type).

McDavid didn't do what McDavid did because he's McDavid. He is just another talented forward that walked all over this team. Many talented players routinely walk all over this team, it's nothing new. 

Remember that McDavid had to get by Risto to get that close to Lehner to push the puck in.  It may have surprised Lehner that he was allowed to get that close, and he may have been expecting a shot from farther out.  I questioned why Risto was out there so soon after spending the whole 2 minutes killing the penalty.  He had to have been winded.  Normally he wouldn't let someone get by him like that.

Risto has been doing that a lot lately. He's not the say D-man he was the first half of the season. Then again all the defensemen have been lagging lately and I point to the coach. As has been noted, Goober plays with a 'play not to lose instead of playing to win' strategy which puts a ton of emphasis on the defensemen. And when your offense is invisible most of the game is left up to six guys. I can't fault any of the defensemen lately for this team's woes. There is a ton more talent on this team than last year, even without O'Reilly, and lately they don't look that much different. At least not to the scale in which the roster has improved. 

See this makes more sense than just saying you guys are foolish for wanting smaller pads or bigger goals.

I think interference should be if you interfere with a player who is going past you. Idk why they can't figure it out. Hockey is really getting boring. It is chip puck in, retrieve puck, get puck to point, pass between point men or down low once, take point shot, look for deflection or rebound, get puck back to point.  That is the 90% of hockey and it is boring to watch the cycle to the point for a shot that might get deflected or blocked but if I am a forward who chips the puck past a defender and he can reach out and literally stop me, what else can I do?

Complete side note, I think Ristolainen is injured. his edge work and quickness have fallen off. Something is wrong there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.