GDT: Boston @ Buffalo, 7:00 pm est, 1-15-2016

WildCard

Well, well, well, what do we have here? A winning streak, eh? A full roster (almost), eh? A DIVISION RIVAL, EH?!? You're damn right, folks. Strap on your helmets and get an extra pair of shorts, because the Buffalo Sabres are about to open a can of whoop-ass on the Boston Bruins tonight in a match-up of playoff hopefuls and divisional hatred. The Sabres, winners of 2 straight, including a resilient game in Winnipeg and an impressive performance against the playoff bound Minnesota Wild last Tuesday night, will look to keep the ball rolling and gain 2 points on the current WC team, the Boston Bruins. The Sabres will get a nice jolt in the arm as Mark Pysyk and Robin Lehner return, although it is uncertain if either will play, but shhh, I'm on a roll here. For the last few games, we've seen a major turnaround in these young Buffalo stalwarts of ours: we've started scoring early, and first. A dreadful performance thus far in terms of outputting numbers on the board (in our favor) in the first, the Sabres have made it a top priority to get going earlier, and to start playing with a lead.

The Bruins, well, ###### these guys. 2-7-1 in their last 10, and 1-21 on their current road trip, the Bruins are in a bit of a free fall here, and a lot of it has to do with their incredible reliance on their pp. The Bruins hold the best pp in the league, at 28.4%, and last I heard 5-5 play only accounted for 69% of their offense. The key is pretty simple here guys, keep these jack-wagons off the pp. The Bruins are coming off a 3-2 loss in Philly Wednesday night, one that saw them relinquish a 3rd period lead.

DD has been silent on who the goalie is, but my money is on Lehner tonight, just because throwing him to the wolves against the Caps would just be brutal. On the other hand, Lehner has had a ton of travel, a game, and a practice all in the last 24 hours, so I'm not sure. Gustavsson gets the start, Kreci is out, and Pastrnak is questionable; sat out last game in Philly.

Game Preview 

"Right now, it's a frustrating time for our team," Bruins coach Claude Julien said after the game. "Missed opportunities at one end and mistakes at the other, so we've got to turn the tide.

Rookie Jack Eichel had two goals and two assists for an NHL career-high four points to help the Buffalo Sabres to a 6-3 comeback victory against the Boston Bruins at TD Garden on Dec. 26. Ryan O'Reilly scored two goals and Jamie McGinn had a goal for the Sabres in the third period to erase a 3-1 deficit. Patrice Bergeron, Matt Beleskey and David Krejci scored for
Boston.

STATS:
Buffalo @ Chicago, 6-3 win (NA right now, I'll try again in the morning
All Team Rankings
Team Comparison Chart

Wednesday Practice Report

"It's been very difficult," Lehner admitted. "I don’t think many guys have gone through what I went through last year. I went down with a concussion and Andrew Hammond comes in and plays out of this world. You lose your job, that's how it works and I get a new chance here and get injured again.

"A little soul-crushing at the beginning this year but I worked through it and I worked hard to come back. I've been working hard to try and help the team."

Buffalo:

Forwards:

Evander Kane – 90 Ryan O'Reilly – 88 Jamie McGinn

28 Zemgus Girgensons – 15 Jack Eichel – 23 Sam Reinhart

82 Marcus Foligno – 22 Johan Larsson – 12 Brian Gionta

26 Matt Moulson – 59 Tim Schaller- 17 David Legwand

Pysyks:

Josh Gorges – 55 Rasmus Ristolainen

29 Jake McCabe – 47 Zach Bogosian

Mike Weber – 46 Cody Franson

25 Carlo Colaiacovo – 3 Mark Pysyk

Swedes:

40 Robin Lehner
31 Chad Johnson

Boston:

Forwards:

Brad Marchand – Patrice Bergeron – Brett Connolly

Matt Beleskey – Ryan Spooner – Loui Eriksson

Frank Vatrano – Joonas Kemppainen – Jimmy Hayes

Zac Rinaldo – Max Talbot – Landon Ferraro

Defense:

Zdeno Chara – Zach Trotman

Dennis Seidenberg – Colin Miller

Torey Krug – Kevan Miller

Goalies:

Jonas Gustavsson

Tuukka Rask

Injured: David Pastrnak (upper body), David Krejci (upper body), Adam McQuaid (upper body), Chris Kelly (broken left femur)

42596.jpg

Edited by WildCard

Let's beat these ****ers.

I love Sabres-Bruins games. It feels like we've had the upper-hand since the Lucic incident, I'll go look up the record against them since then.

Edit: 9-7-4. Not as good as I remember, but considering the teams we've iced, it could have been much worse.

I'm predicting another multi-point night from Eichel, another goal for O'Reilly, and a Moulson goal (heh.)

Edited by Randall Flagg

Eichel looked hungry last game, and looks like playing well against these guys is a huge thing for him, so I expect at least a point for him tonight, if not more.

Going to the Amerk's game tonight for a buddy's birthday, I'll try recording it and watching it when I get back, but the odds are abysmal I'll succeed. 

Well, well, well, what do we have here? A winning streak, eh? A full roster (almost), eh? A DIVISION RIVAL, EH?!? You're damn right, folks. Strap on your helmets and get an extra pair of shorts, because the Buffalo Sabres are about to open a can of whoop-ass on the Boston Bruins tonight in a match-up of playoff hopefuls and divisional hatred. The Sabres, winners of 2 straight, including a resilient game in Winnipeg and an impressive performance against the playoff bound Minnesota Wild last Tuesday night, will look to keep the ball rolling and gain 2 points on the current WC team, the Boston Bruins. The Sabres will get a nice jolt in the arm as Mark Pysyk and Robin Lehner return, although it is uncertain if either will play, but shhh, I'm on a roll here. For the last few games, we've seen a major turnaround in these young Buffalo stalwarts of ours: we've started scoring early, and first. A dreadful performance thus far in terms of outputting numbers on the board (in our favor) in the first, the Sabres have made it a top priority to get going earlier, and to start playing with a lead.

The Bruins, well, ###### these guys. 2-7-1 in their last 10, and 1-21 on their current road trip, the Bruins are in a bit of a free fall here, and a lot of it has to do with their incredible reliance on their pp. The Bruins hold the best pp in the league, at 28.4%, and last I heard 5-5 play only accounted for 69% of their offense. The key is pretty simple here guys, keep these jack-wagons off the pp. The Bruins are coming off a 3-2 loss in Philly Wednesday night, one that saw them relinquish a 3rd period lead.

DD has been silent on who the goalie is, but my money is on Lehner tonight, just because throwing him to the wolves against the Caps would just be brutal. On the other hand, Lehner has had a ton of travel, a game, and a practice all in the last 24 hours, so I'm not sure. Look for Rask to go, and Pastrnak is questionable; sat out last game in Philly.

Game Preview 

STATS:

Buffalo @ Chicago, 6-3 win (NA right now, I'll try again in the morning

All Team Rankings

Team Comparison Chart

Wednesday Practice Report

Forwards:

Evander Kane – 90 Ryan O'Reilly – 88 Jamie McGinn

28 Zemgus Girgensons – 15 Jack Eichel – 23 Sam Reinhart

82 Marcus Foligno – 22 Johan Larsson – 12 Brian Gionta

26 Matt Moulson – 59 Tim Schaller- 17 David Legwand

Pysyks:

Josh Gorges – 55 Rasmus Ristolainen

29 Jake McCabe – 47 Zach Bogosian

Mike Weber – 46 Cody Franson

25 Carlo Colaiacovo – 3 Mark Pysyk

Swedes:

40 Robin Lehner

31 Chad Johnson

42596.jpg

Such an awesome picture!! 

I always love when they're playing a team that gives me that instinctual, reflexive: Mmmaaannn, ###### those guys!

Let's Go Buffalo!

That's fine. The problem is (if it's a problem)... who are we those guys to? Whom are we those guys to? To whom are we those guys?

Don't worry, Robin.  We're Buffalo fans.  We know soul crushing.  We've had our souls trampled for years, but we never give up.  And neither will you.  Now kick some Bruin BUTT.

That's soooo cute that he considers THAT soul-crushing. I just want to tousle his hair and smile at the innocence...

Mark Pysyk is still skating with Carlo Colaiacovo, meaning he's likely out tonight. #Sabres per Bill Hoppe

The Lines

Sabres lines this AM:

Kane-O'Reilly-McGinn

Girgensons-Eichel-Reinhart

Foligno-Larsson-Gionta

Moulson-Schaller-Legwand

#BOSvsBUF

D Pairings

Defense rushes at AM skate:

Gorges-Ristolainen

McCabe-Bogosian

Weber-Franson

Colaiacovo-Pysyk

#BOSvsBUF

Edited by BRAWNDO

That's soooo cute that he considers THAT soul-crushing. I just want to tousle his hair and smile at the innocence...

In fairness, we're talking about the lifelong following of sports teams from a city which is significant, but he's talking about his livelihood.  If you worked for something from a young age, for 20 years, and then just as it was within your grasp it was taken away from you, that to me would the epitome of soul crushing.  He doesn't know any more that we do whether he'll be successful, and I'm sure it weighs on him.

Edited by The Big Johnson

I'm unhappy about Pysyk but I do understand it a little. Boston is extremely physical, so Weber actually fits in well for tonight's game. Also, he may just not want to start two different guys who are coming off month+ injuries.

If he's not physically ready to play, he should be in Rochester. Otherwise the best way to counter a physical team is quick passing, which Pysyk is good at, compared to Weber. Maybe they should sit Eichel because he's not physical.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.