Reinhart: Fewer minutes in NHL or more minutes in AHL?

pi2000

At first I thought Bylsma didn't value Girgs. I am now coming to think he values him more than any player on the team with exception of Jack. Girgs can play with anyone, any style, any situation. I think DD is hoping for a better showing from the MOE line and KEG line so he can pair Girgs with Reinhart. I think that can work with McGinn or Foligno. Or maybe that's what I would do.

Those who favour Reinhart being sent down, what is your Mendoza line?

Is it 10 minutes a game? 15?

Does he have to play in the top six? Top nine?

Does his +/- matter? His point total?

Last night he was ninth among the forwards in ice time. He got a regular shift until the third when Bylsma leaned heavy on his top six.

Did you think he was significantly less effective  after 40 minutes than Eichel? O'Reilly? Moulson? Ennis? Legwand?

Does he have to be a key part of the team right off the bat like Crosby, or can he be a mid-roster guy who gets broken in slowly like Joe Thornton did, or Drouin in Tampa Bay?

Is there something wrong with a rookie starting on the third line? Where do most rookies start?

Why shouldn't he be given more than a one-game look?

Would you rather have Cal O'Reilly in his role? Someone else?

Here are the first-game stat-lines for a handful of Reinhart's peers this week as well as one NHL star.

How many of these guys should be sent down?

0 0 0 -1 0 2 0 0 0 0 23% 1:48 0:00 18:07

0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0% 0:43 0:00 11:40

0 0 0 0 0 1 2 0 0 0 54% 0:24 0:00 13:08

0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 53% 0:00 0:16 12:31

1 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 - 0:00 0:00 10:00

0 0 0 1 0 5 1 0 1 1 - 0:00 0:09 15:40

0 0 0 -2 2 1 1 0 0 0 - 1:16 0:00 15:47

1 0 1 -1 0 3 1 0 0 0 50% 3:19 0:00 21:58

0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 - 2:04 0:00 8:59

Edited by dudacek

At first I thought Bylsma didn't value Girgs. I am now coming to think he values him more than any player on the team with exception of Jack. Girgs can play with anyone, any style, any situation. I think DD is hoping for a better showing from the MOE line and KEG line so he can pair Girgs with Reinhart. I think that can work with McGinn or Foligno. Or maybe that's what I would do.

Foligno/Samson/Girgs sounds luscious, even as a fourth line.

Kane, Eichel Gionta if Gionta's good to go.

Bylsma said he liked the way Gionta was digging the puck out for Kane & Eichel. If he's healthy, that's where he's playing.

Thanks, gentlemen. 

So it will be Larsson centering Girgs and Reinhart as originally planned, I guess. 

I just don't see how you can keep Zemgus off Eichel's line. I think DD will be experimenting for a bit. Anyway, I hope they can find Reinhart 13 minutes a night on that third line. I think he'd be better served by that than learning the AHL game, in spite of more ice time in the A. 

GO SABRES!!!

Thanks, gentlemen. 

So it will be Larsson centering Girgs and Reinhart as originally planned, I guess. 

I just don't see how you can keep Zemgus off Eichel's line. I think DD will be experimenting for a bit. Anyway, I hope they can find Reinhart 13 minutes a night on that third line. I think he'd be better served by that than learning the AHL game, in spite of more ice time in the A. 

GO SABRES!!!

When Larsson & Reinhart were on the ice together, Reinhart was taking the draws.

Personally, I like the idea of Zemgus on the 2nd line. But it appears Bylsma prefers Gionta on that line, likely due to Gionta's speed & wanting to keep Z on the LW boards.

On the contrary, I think if that's what he wants, Girgs is your man.  Wait for the chemistry to unfold.

Just tellin' you what he said. If you don't like Gionta on the 2nd line, take it up w/ the coach. ;)

My Mendoza line for Reinhart is 9 or 10 min per game. Id rather he gets 19 or 20 per game in the A than 8 here.

I'm looking forward to seeing Kane-Eichel-Gionta. That could be a really exciting line -- and could quickly become the de facto top line.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Zemgus gets a look in Moulson's spot with ROR and Ennis at some point.

I was wondering what got ##### out.

I don't think he will be here in November. I think he goes to Rochester as soon as Gionta is ready to play, and only comes to the NHL for injury replacement duty. If Eichel says the only way I am with the big club is if he deserves it, same for Reinhart. Last night he didn't deserve it.

I just can't see this happening. They wouldn't have picked him for this team, which they did - as part of the 23 man roster - if they were planning to just randomly send him down after a couple of games. The process wouldn't make any sense.

He had a lousy game.  So did most of our players not named Kane or Eichel.

Our defense looked insanely terrible.  They were slow and really tentative to jump in the play (aside from Risto).  

I thought Reinhart looked good out there, I feel like we watched different games.

I thought Reinhart was our best forward for two periods, save perhaps for Larsson. You can see where he still has to get stronger and he'll get knocked around some, but I liked his game overall.

This I agree with. He's not perfect and he's going to make mistakes and/or get pushed around a bit, but people who are waiting for a rookie to be able to step right into the league without having to persevere through these things will never think any rookie is ready. It happens to them all (with the exception of a few elite prospects - but even they will deal with their fair share of mistakes).

Ted, we know you wanted Sam Bennett, but you shouldn't let that fester.

You'll get another job.

I laughed.

And your longer post was dead on. For me it spells out clearly why Reinhart needs to be here. He's gotta be here to learn the ropes, it's time.

Played only 11 minutes last night, was moved off Eichel's line down to the 3rd line and didn't see much ice in the 3rd.    With the way Eichel's line played with Girgensons on the wing, I doubt Reinhart sniffs a top 6 spot for the rest of the season unless injuries.

I'll say it again, +20 minutes in Roch is better than 10 min in BUF for his development.     Still too weak on the puck, seemed like he spent half those 11 minutes picking himself up off the ice.

I saw that happen to alot of vets to, Moulson, Ennis, O'Reilly, they were all getting outworked.

Descriptive topic titles are an asset to our community. It helps community members recognize which conversations they might want to read or participate in.

Please refrain from using generic topic titles, including player name only titles. If you can take the time to start a conversation, you can take a moment and properly label it.

The original poster can edit the title.

Thanks for making SabreSpace a better place.

SUNDAY’S PRACTICE

90 Ryan O’Reilly – 28 Zemgus Girgensons – 63 Tyler Ennis
Evander Kane – 15 Jack Eichel – 12 Brian Gionta
26 Matt Moulson – 22 Johan Larsson – 82 Marcus Foligno
44 Nicolas Deslauriers – 17 David Legwand – 88 Jamie McGinn/23 Sam Reinhart

Josh Gorges – 55 Rasmus Ristolainen
Mike Weber – 46 Cody Franson
25 Carlo Colaiacovo – 3 Mark Pysyk
45 Brendan Guhle – 65 Matt Donovan

31 Chad Johnson
50 Nathan Lieuwen

It appears from Sunday's practice that Reinhart is on the bubble for this game.

Is he really playing any worse than Moulson.  I mean if we're splitting hairs and while Moulson is a season veteran and quality human being, he's beyond slow in the teams structure and pace.  How many times has he fallen.  I'm a huge Reinhart fan.  He really has no reason to go down to Rochester.  He's better suited to play than McGinn.  

Is he really playing any worse than Moulson.  I mean if we're splitting hairs and while Moulson is a season veteran and quality human being, he's beyond slow in the teams structure and pace.  How many times has he fallen.  I'm a huge Reinhart fan.  He really has no reason to go down to Rochester.  He's better suited to play than McGinn.  

I agree

I think he's going to Rochester. He's not getting minutes, he's not outplaying anybody and it appears to me he's having a confidence issue. He needs the minutes in Rochester, not necessarily all year but when there's a need and there will be, bring him back up. If there's a need to protect him in the AHL, do so but he needs minutes. He's not going to get it here right now. He's not as ready as he will be.

I still maintain Reinhart is just fine in the NHL. His game has actually improved slightly since game 1.  For someone starting 58% of the time in the defensive zone, I think Reinhart is doing exactly what is being asked of him. 

As for the strength part, I would rather the multi-million dollar training facility of FNC and Harbor Center be available with their staff than Rochester.  Sam will get stronger as the year progresses, just let him play. His ice time will go up as the year progresses.

I still maintain Reinhart is just fine in the NHL. His game has actually improved slightly since game 1.  For someone starting 58% of the time in the defensive zone, I think Reinhart is doing exactly what is being asked of him. 

As for the strength part, I would rather the multi-million dollar training facility of FNC and Harbor Center be available with their staff than Rochester.  Sam will get stronger as the year progresses, just let him play. His ice time will go up as the year progresses.

He will get stronger in the offseason as his body matures. He is not a physical player and never will be. I agree he is best served in Buffalo.

Entirely agree. I really don't think he learns anything from Rochester. At some point Samson is going to have to jump this hurdle of the NHL's physicality. IMO guys usually go to the AHL to slow down the game mentally, but that isn't the case with Reinhart. Wanna really kill his confidence? Send down a #2 overall after the other #2 overall is getting top minutes and killing it. 

Entirely agree. I really don't think he learns anything from Rochester. At some point Samson is going to have to jump this hurdle of the NHL's physicality. IMO guys usually go to the AHL to slow down the game mentally, but that isn't the case with Reinhart. Wanna really kill his confidence? Send down a #2 overall after the other #2 overall is getting top minutes and killing it. 

I disagree with the bolded.  Reinhart is said to be a mentally tough kid (and I believe it).  If he does get sent down to Roch, it isn't a big deal.  I'm with you and Liger on this, though.  I'm very happy with Reinhart playing a sheltered role on the Sabres.  He's already been pretty good on the PP so far.

I disagree with the bolded.  Reinhart is said to be a mentally tough kid (and I believe it).  If he does get sent down to Roch, it isn't a big deal.  I'm with you and Liger on this, though.  I'm very happy with Reinhart playing a sheltered role on the Sabres.  He's already been pretty good on the PP so far.

Last I heard he was crying when he was sent down last year, no? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.