Reinhart: Fewer minutes in NHL or more minutes in AHL?

pi2000

I thought Reinhart was good through two games and fairly poor today, although he should get credit for the screen on Risto's goal and he was out there at the end of the game to help protect the lead. Ultimately I'm not thrilled with him only getting ~10 minutes per game if that's how it shakes out, but I'm also not sure he gets anything out of going to the AHL--the strength training and filling out he needs to continue to do are offseason things. I think he's already processing the NHL game well, so what he really needs to do is learn how to consistently play effectively while getting knocked around, and that's not happening in the AHL with its slower game. 

At the end of the day I think his development curve is going to be more like Tavares (shaky > good > great) than Stamkos (shaky > great), and I don't think AHL time changes that because the reasons for the slower development are physical, not mental.

Reinhart: slow start or AHL-bound?

Sounds good

His Corsi and Fenwick finally got added from the game and they did go down.  I think Columbus is a team Reinhart would have trouble with.  They are known as a hard worker team which means they are going to be physical and have a heavy checking presence.  Reinhart's flaw at the moment is strength so you couple that with a team like Columbus we should not be surprised his best game wasn't against them.  The good news is, Reinhart's positioning and instincts with the puck are leagues better than last year and he will get stronger as the season progresses.

Sounds good

His Corsi and Fenwick finally got added from the game and they did go down.  I think Columbus is a team Reinhart would have trouble with.  They are known as a hard worker team which means they are going to be physical and have a heavy checking presence.  Reinhart's flaw at the moment is strength so you couple that with a team like Columbus we should not be surprised his best game wasn't against them.  The good news is, Reinhart's positioning and instincts with the puck are leagues better than last year and he will get stronger as the season progresses.

But his down side is he's playing less than 11 minutes a game. If he where in Rochester he would be playing almost 20 minutes a game. You are in effect doubling his learning curve time by restricting his playing time. If all stays the same come mid January, Sam will have played approximately 300 minutes less hockey in the NHL (30 games x 10 minutes difference per game) VS. the AHL.  

Sounds good

Who sits when the captain comes back?

But his down side is he's playing less than 11 minutes a game. If he where in Rochester he would be playing almost 20 minutes a game. You are in effect doubling his learning curve time by restricting his playing time. If all stays the same come mid January, Sam will have played approximately 300 minutes less hockey in the NHL (30 games x 10 minutes difference per game) VS. the AHL.  

No you aren't because if he goes to Rochester he gets 0 minutes of NHL game time.  He doesn't need to learn how to play the game.  He clearly knows how. He needs to learn how to be effective at the NHL level. He can only do that at the NHL level. Rochester would be a waste IMPO.

Who sits when the captain comes back?

Don't know.  Bylsma will have to figure that out.

I would think that playing against adults would benefit his development if he's getting more than 10 min per game.

Im not convinced Reinhart is better suited in the AHL right now, but I think that claims it will slow his development arent accurate. Look at the difference between Eichel and McWho right now. Thats the difference between playing with teens and playing with adults.

• It's gotta be better for him to have the playing time in Rochester.  He will get 20 mins a game and power play time.  I hate watching such a talented player get lost in a role he has no business playing.  He's not a third line guy, he needs experience.  He can get that in Rochester, and get called up if a top six guy goes out.

• It's gotta be better for him to have the playing time in Rochester.  He will get 20 mins a game and power play time.  I hate watching such a talented player get lost in a role he has no business playing.  He's not a third line guy, he needs experience.  He can get that in Rochester, and get called up if a top six guy goes out.

That only really works if the playing time is equivalent between the two leagues. NHL playing time is more valuable than AHL playing time (IMHO), it's just a matter of how much more valuable it is. To put it other terms, if my goal is to be an architect of grand office buildings, sending me to design homes does have value to my career, but it may not have as much value as being assigned to designing the bathrooms of a grand office building and gradually being assigned larger pieces.

That only really works if the playing time is equivalent between the two leagues. NHL playing time is more valuable than AHL playing time (IMHO), it's just a matter of how much more valuable it is. To put it other terms, if my goal is to be an architect of grand office buildings, sending me to design homes does have value to my career, but it may not have as much value as being assigned to designing the bathrooms of a grand office building and gradually being assigned larger pieces.

The other way to look at it is, Sam's strengths right now appear to be positional play and awareness/reaction.  Where he needs improvement is in dealing with larger, stronger players.  He can learn the skills to adapt to the larger stronger players in the A.  He doesn't need to be in the N to learn those.

Luv the backbencher analysis of player development. Unless any of us have been there and are there on this team, I don't think anyone can have a legit opinion on an individual players needs. How it may effect the overall teams performance is more obvious and this board legitimately opines regularly. Edited by North Buffalo

The other way to look at it is, Sam's strengths right now appear to be positional play and awareness/reaction.  Where he needs improvement is in dealing with larger, stronger players.  He can learn the skills to adapt to the larger stronger players in the A.  He doesn't need to be in the N to learn those.

I don't know the answer to this question, good thing we have coaches and whatnot. :)

No you aren't because if he goes to Rochester he gets 0 minutes of NHL game time.  He doesn't need to learn how to play the game.  He clearly knows how. He needs to learn how to be effective at the NHL level. He can only do that at the NHL level. Rochester would be a waste IMPO.

Don't know.  Bylsma will have to figure that out.

I agree that his hockey IQ is good enough for the NHL at present.    However, he's not strong enough yet.   He'll develop that strength on the puck getting 18-20 min in Roch vs 7-8 min in Buf.

I agree that his hockey IQ is good enough for the NHL at present.    However, he's not strong enough yet.   He'll develop that strength on the puck getting 18-20 min in Roch vs 7-8 min in Buf.

I am inclined to disagree, the AHL level I don't think helps this improvement, practice and 8-10 min or whatever gets him there at this level. Again neither of us are coaches at this level.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.