Reinhart: Fewer minutes in NHL or more minutes in AHL?

pi2000

• 3 weeks later...

At the risk of causing the thread to be locked, I think Reinhart is improving game-to-game. All things being relative, of course; we shouldn't expect him to be Ryan O'Reilly Jr. anytime soon. I do think his vision and processing have just about caught up with the NHL game. He's also no longer an instant turn-over on the boards.

At the risk of causing the thread to be locked, I think Reinhart is improving game-to-game. All things being relative, of course; we shouldn't expect him to be Ryan O'Reilly Jr. anytime soon. I do think his vision and processing have just about caught up with the NHL game. He's also no longer an instant turn-over on the boards.

Agreed. I assumed he'd be in Rochester this year but he's managed to adapt since his shaky start. It will be interesting to see the full season play out for him.

Reinhart needs ROR and Blue was beyond correct about ROR being good for this team.  Reinhart has improved so much over such a short time because he works at it.  Last year in juniors he worked really hard on his skating and being physically ready for the NHL.  His skating is light years better and he seems to get more comfortable with it every game. His body is still a work in progress but that lower body strength is clearly there. You can see it when he gets leaned on that the strength is there but the balance is still coming.  His next goal really needs to be to work on his board play. The good news is ROR is probably the best teacher the kid could have when it comes to board play.  The thing with Reinhart is that he keeps improving in small steps so to actually see how far he's come we will need to look at his first game this year versus his last to be able to judge it well.

With Eichel's flash you need a counterpart to provide dependable/responsible.  Right now, while Jack is finding his game I can see where DD wants to put him with veterans.  And likewise, even if the endgame is to play Eich and Reinhart on dthe same line, it makes sense to mold Samson using veterans.  Everyone is besotted with O'Reilly but Legwand has been a very strong two-way player in his own right, even if his best years are behind him.  Let him be Yoda to Samson's Luke.

By the way, I think the endgame is to have Reinhart andd Eichel on different lines (#1 and #2 C eventually) but I think you'll see them together on special teams, especially power play.

With Eichel's flash you need a counterpart to provide dependable/responsible.  Right now, while Jack is finding his game I can see where DD wants to put him with veterans.  And likewise, even if the endgame is to play Eich and Reinhart on dthe same line, it makes sense to mold Samson using veterans.  Everyone is besotted with O'Reilly but Legwand has been a very strong two-way player in his own right, even if his best years are behind him.  Let him be Yoda to Samson's Luke.

By the way, I think the endgame is to have Reinhart andd Eichel on different lines (#1 and #2 C eventually) but I think you'll see them together on special teams, especially power play.

It is working out that Gionta and Legwand are turning into some excellent mentors. I only get to listen to WGR for a short period of time but more than once I've heard interviews that their play on the ice may not have been stellar to this point, but the locker room is theirs and is run well. The vibe I get it's not a "us against the world" locker room. It's a "we are good, and can be very good with hard work". 

GMTM may have won the Lehner trade, not because of Lehner, but because Legwand may be worth a late first rounder worth of leadership.

GMTM may have won the Lehner trade, not because of Lehner, but because Legwand may be worth a late first rounder worth of leadership.

I think that's the point of GMTM trades.  They don't win on paper perhaps, but there is another level to his trades that can't be assessed with facts and figures.  He's not winning trades, he's building a team.  I know that since the beginning of the season my opinion of Leggy has changed (to be more inline with what I thought of him earlier in his career).

I think that's the point of GMTM trades.  They don't win on paper perhaps, but there is another level to his trades that can't be assessed with facts and figures.  He's not winning trades, he's building a team.  I know that since the beginning of the season my opinion of Leggy has changed (to be more inline with what I thought of him earlier in his career).

It's them stat people that will try to convince us otherwise, and they would be very hard to counterpoint. But outstanding leadership had to be on GMTM's radar, he knew Legwand for a few years right? I'm just trying to make sure there wasn't a great deal of luck involved.  

Legwand was never on a team that Murray was associated with, if that's what you mean.  Legwand went to Ottawa the same time GMTM joined the Sabres.  That said, I think Leggy's record during his time Preds, where he was essentially their Gilbert Perreault, speaks for itself.

It is working out that Gionta and Legwand are turning into some excellent mentors.

It makes me sad that we tanked so hard that we had to bring in mentors from outside the team.  (I guess it was inevitable when Drury and Briere left and there was no one left to fill the vacuum.)  There is no real connection between these guys and the Sabres organization other than a few contract years at the end of a career.  I hope the franchise can maintain leadership going forward and never be so devoid of it again.

It makes me sad that we tanked so hard that we had to bring in mentors from outside the team.  (I guess it was inevitable when Drury and Briere left and there was no one left to fill the vacuum.)  There is no real connection between these guys and the Sabres organization other than a few contract years at the end of a career.  I hope the franchise can maintain leadership going forward and never be so devoid of it again.

I would say look at the younger players they have brought in as well. Jack, Sam, O'Reilly, Zemgus, Bogosian all seem to possess some leadership skills.  I hope they take over when guys like Gorges, Gionta, and Legwand have retired.

The torches are to be passed Reinhart/ROR/Bogo/Eichel/Girgs . A core group that is filled with leaders. We're good. They may wind up short term contract players Gionta and Legwand, but they know their roles and are excelling.  

Edited by Woods-Racer

Oh, you're both right I realize that.  It's just that there's a discontinuity in the team's heritage, something that (to me) goes deeper than the tank.  There is no "apostolic succession" from the greats of the past to the team that's here now.  In a very true sense this is an expansion team.

Oh, you're both right I realize that.  It's just that there's a discontinuity in the team's heritage, something that (to me) goes deeper than the tank.  There is no "apostolic succession" from the greats of the past to the team that's here now.  In a very true sense this is an expansion team.

I see know what your getting at. 

We can call the post Drury/Briere till the captians neophyte era the dark ages. 

It's them stat people that will try to convince us otherwise, and they would be very hard to counterpoint. But outstanding leadership had to be on GMTM's radar, he knew Legwand for a few years right? I'm just trying to make sure there wasn't a great deal of luck involved. 

I remember reading that Ottawa's condition of the Lehner trade was that Legwand had to be a part of it as part of a contract dump. That was all Ottawa and not GMTM.

I remember reading that Ottawa's condition of the Lehner trade was that Legwand had to be a part of it as part of a contract dump. That was all Ottawa and not GMTM.

So our *win* was pure luck?

Still good on Legwand for rising above it all and be what this team needed.

I think everyone considered Legwand to be a contract dump, but did anyone with Ottawa or Buffalo actually say that? It could well be that everyone looking in from the outside saw Legwand as washed up but GMTM saw a potential leader there. Or it could just be luck, we probably won't ever know.

I remember hearing that at the time, but who knows what happened behind closed doors.  Remember he's a former member of that staff. He may have wanted Legwand, knew that Ottawa wasn't happy with the role he was filling, and pulled him over, graciously letting Ottawa insinuate it was just a cap dump.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.