Sabres Development Camp

Hoss

Foligno 

I am going to wait for a little longer to see the long-term results. I remember being at a Sabres game against Ottawa, and we were talking about power forwards. We were excited about Kassian at the time, and the Ottawa fans were talking were referencing Nick Foligno. They quickly changed the topic to Marcus Foligno because they had seen both brothers play and thought Marcus was by far the better of the two. I think Marcus has shown glimmers of hope. On a good team, with some confidence and knowledge of his role, I think he can be a formidable player. Hopefully, we see that this year.

One sibling that p1ss3s me off is Lemieux. Curse him for not wanting to sign in Buffalo. He throws a temper tantrum because no one selects him in the first round. Buffalo takes him and he is upset because Buffalo doesn't start him in Buffalo right away. At the time, it was the worst roster in hockey. If you weren't going to crack it in Buffalo, you weren't going to start in the NHL anywhere else.

Partially to ###### with Neuvirth's Glove with further derailleur of this thread, and partially out of curiosity, how many "wrong" brothers have the Sabres had?

Off the top of my head, I can think of Gretzky, Primeau, and Niedermayer.

A quick look says we have the better Gionta, and I'd have to say the better Miller.

You can't have one without the other. If the argument is Gretzky could maintain his percentage lead over the next highest scorer in today's game, then his total points would have had to be in the 130 range last year. I don't think he would do that regularly in today's game.

I take issue with the idea that the best are untouchable simply because they've been regarded as such for an extended period of time. Sometimes it feels like any challenge to the all-timers is taken as sacrilege and rejected without thought.

Who on earth said they were untouchable because that's how people have thought about them for a long time?  Would anyone ever cite that as a reason?

The GOATs are the GOATs because they were simply better than the rest.  It has nothing to do with the way people talk about them.

I simply don't believe dominance to that degree is possible in today's game. Gretzky very well still may do better than Crosby has done, but the days of scoring 50-70% more points than second place are over IMO.

It's not like there was an extended period where the spread was that large, and then it stopped once defensemen became better skaters and goalies increased in body mass by 50%.  In the century or so of the NHL's history, it's happened once -- during Gretzky's peak. 

When Gretzky was at his peak, he outpaced his contemporaries by 50% to 80% -- ie he would score 200+ points and the 2nd-place guy would have around 130.

There's never been a hockey player remotely like him.

True. But was he really that important to his team? He only won the MVP trophy in each of his first eight seasons in the league. Then he turned 26.

So who is the greatest ever at a sabres development camp?

So good.

Partially to ###### with Neuvirth's Glove with further derailleur of this thread, and partially out of curiosity, how many "wrong" brothers have the Sabres had?

Great topic. Deserves its own thread maybe?

A guy I know used to joke about how we'd also drafted Butch Yzerman. Not true, as far as I know.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Who on earth said they were untouchable because that's how people have thought about them for a long time? Would anyone ever cite that as a reason?

The GOATs are the GOATs because they were simply better than the rest. It has nothing to do with the way people talk about them.

Of course nobody would cite it as a reason, but deference to the past and habitual though processes aren't fictional constructs. When something is held as an unquestionable truth for a long time, it becomes very difficult to argue against because people are naturally inclined to reject a contradictory argument.

Of course nobody would cite it as a reason, but deference to the past and habitual though processes aren't fictional constructs. When something is held as an unquestionable truth for a long time, it becomes very difficult to argue against because people are naturally inclined to reject a contradictory argument.

Hey now, let's leave him outta this

To be fair I had to sift through a page of domestic issues in the Bill's thread as well. It happens

Me too in this thread.  I was about to get my chair and sit in the parking lot but it's a civil conversation, but I came here for Sabres news in camp and observations from those lucky enough to go the FNC.

We got the better Turgeon, so we have that going for us.

And why all this talk about Gretzky dominance when he was clearly #2 all time behind Orr?   :devil:

You are generally correct, but Gretzky is not solely the result of a high scoring era or long-standing meme. 

I don't know what else to say but to take a couple hours out of your day, and find a couple FULL Oilers games on Youtube and watch the whole thing. I suggest watching a game where there is a good goalie playing like Hextall or Billy Smith. You'll see that despite not having today's positioning, they were pretty darn good at what they did. Also, there were still some very good skaters and tough guys back then. They might not be as bulky, but they were no chumps. 

You'll also see that every time Gretzky was on the ice, something happened. He would do something that normal players just don't normally do. It's hard to explain but it's pure entertainment. An unusual pass, strange timed shot, weird positioning that just happened to end up in a scoring chance. 

I think Gretzky would not score 200 in this era, but 150 would probably be his average. 

Edited by musichunch

I might be mis-remembering things, but I don't think GRETZKY was ever in Sabres Development Camp.  Maybe others remember.

I believe Gretzky was in two training camps with the Sabres in the mid-80s. 

GO SABRES!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.