Sabres Development Camp

Hoss

You'll also see that every time Gretzky was on the ice, something happened.

I appreciate the testimony.

I happen to think that the game evolved in so mmy ways post-99 that many of the spaces he exploited, angles he took would not be routinely available today.

Even so. His hockey-mind was so agile, there's no telling what new spaces and angles he would've found in today's game.

Interesting update from Garth (blogger) about Jason Kasdorf who most though was a 'throw in' as part of the Evander Kane trade.  Apparently he can actually play...   http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTHS-CORNER/Rockin-The-Kasdorf/6/69876

Interesting lead-in about the dearly departed CoHo.  So glad to see him gone.

And a couple nice Eichel clips at the end.

I appreciate the testimony.

I happen to think that the game evolved in so mmy ways post-99 that many of the spaces he exploited, angles he took would not be routinely available today.

Even so. His hockey-mind was so agile, there's no telling what new spaces and angles he would've found in today's game.

That's the whole point. Gretzky was not a great hockey player because he played in the 80's. He's a great hockey player because he could think and react faster than anybody else. He may not have the same spaces and angles he had back then, but he would most likely discover spaces and angles in 2015 that nobody else is using. Heck, even back then his contemporaries couldn't do what he did. 

Disagree. I know this is blasphemy, but if Crosby had played during the days of firewagon hockey and had a supporting cast like those Oilers teams, his career would look awfully similar to Gretzky's. Even playing most of his career in the new dead puck era, Crosby's scoring rates are top-5 all time.

I generally fall in line with this line of thinking. Not taking away anything from Gretzky. If I had to pick one player, I'd say he is the best to ever play the game. But I don't think it is beyond debate. Not saying Crosby is Gretzky, but a specific point about him: He is 7th ALL-TIME in PPG playoff scoring. That is astounding considering how much less scoring there is now, particularly because, as recently as a year or two ago he was 4th.

It is very difficult for point producers to separate themselves from the rest of the pack as much as they used to be able to when the game facilitated so much offense. Crosby's percentage spread over Getzlaf 2 seasons ago was very impressive in itself.

I simply don't believe dominance to that degree is possible in today's game. Gretzky very well still may do better than Crosby has done, but the days of scoring 50-70% more points than second place are over IMO.

Agreed. And it's why anyone comparing McDavid to Gretzky is subjecting him to crazily unfair expectations. Connor McDavid will not score 50-70% more points than the next guy. Crosby is a better comparison. And even there, expectations need to be tempered. McDavid may turn out to be as good, but in today's NHL, if things stay as they are, I would actually predict it to be doubtful that McDavid would be able to score 120 points in a season, like Sid did. Top scorer this year was 87. 120 points would represent a 38% increase. It could happen, but it's not a given.

I agree with this a ton. I don't believe Jordan is the untouchable force many think he is. However, I do think Gretzky is. Statistically there isn't anybody that you even look at and think "almost." I think it's silly to talk Gretzky when a kid hasn't played a game yet. Give it a few years before you consider that conversation.

I disagree. Mario Lemieux before coming out of retirement had a higher PPG than Wayne did. To me, that's close.

Partially to ###### with Neuvirth's Glove with further derailleur of this thread, and partially out of curiosity, how many "wrong" brothers have the Sabres had?

Off the top of my head, I can think of Gretzky, Primeau, and Niedermayer.

Well we got both O'Reilly brothers so at least we went all in to make sure we didn't get the wrong one.

Interesting update from Garth (blogger) about Jason Kasdorf who most though was a 'throw in' as part of the Evander Kane trade.  Apparently he can actually play...   http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTHS-CORNER/Rockin-The-Kasdorf/6/69876

I've never seen that move he makes in the last clip, that was incredible 

If I had to start a team today Mario Lemieux would be my first pick. Not saying he is best of all-time because IMO that is Gretzky but in today's game I think Lemieux would be the better player.

I like this idea; would anyone wanna do another super draft? Though this time it would be hof's or all-time greats?

If I had to start a team today Mario Lemieux would be my first pick. Not saying he is best of all-time because IMO that is Gretzky but in today's game I think Lemieux would be the better player.

Interesting that you say that, since the super-duper probably won't happen upside for Eichel is being compared to Mario. There was a scout from a west coast team who said, well first he said he didn't want to say it because it was going to be misreported but then he said it, that Eichel's ability to shield the puck reminded him of 66. He said it might be because they're both RH players that it called it to mind.

So, what. Is it McDavid:Gretzky and Eichel:Lemieux?

I like this idea; would anyone wanna do another super draft? Though this time it would be hof's or all-time greats?

Fun.

OMFG who the hell gives a damn about Gretzky or Lemieux or Messier or any of them right now?  Each generation there are players everyone else gets compared too. Let's hope Eichel is one of those names for this generation. Also I am not with everyone else, move this discussion somewhere else.

Jack Eichel has a vine video the sabres just posted on twitter. He starts at the red line from a dead stop and then skates as fast as he can.  His straight line speed is impressive.  Wish it was filmed from a different angle but you should go check it out.

There has been in past years, but with the paid admission this year and over 7k attending already, that ramp is going to be a madhouse.

Ya good point.  May be a better idea to pay $5 or $10 and park a few blocks away.

It would have been interesting to see what Lemieux could have done if he would have had the post-Hodgkins drive back when he was smoking a pack a day prior to the back issues. The size and strength he had over Gretzky COULD have overcome Gretzky's advantage in vision and hockey sense.

To me, Lemieux is in the discussion for GoAT but he's not quite there.

Ya good point.  May be a better idea to pay $5 or $10 and park a few blocks away.

Plus its a nice summer afternoon. Park on the street somewhere for free a few blocks away closer to the downtown core and enjoy the walk down. It's a much tougher walk when it's snowing and below freezing mid-season. :thumbsup:

Plus its a nice summer afternoon. Park on the street somewhere for free a few blocks away closer to the downtown core and enjoy the walk down. It's a much tougher walk when it's snowing and below freezing mid-season. :thumbsup:

Street parking is free?

Ahhh, just saw online it's free after 5pm.  Thanks for the heads up!

Street parking is free?

Ahhh, just saw online it's free after 5pm.  Thanks for the heads up!

Forgot that you were in Toronto. Buffalo is a different world, its the best local secret that street parking is free after 5pm (i.e. when everyone goes downtown for bars/entertainment). I would recommend street parking by Coca-Cola Field as it is a straight walk up Washington to get to FNC.

Interesting that you say that, since the super-duper probably won't happen upside for Eichel is being compared to Mario. There was a scout from a west coast team who said, well first he said he didn't want to say it because it was going to be misreported but then he said it, that Eichel's ability to shield the puck reminded him of 66. He said it might be because they're both RH players that it called it to mind.

So, what. Is it McDavid:Gretzky and Eichel:Lemieux?

^Sarcasm?

Um, no.

The point is not to equate each of the new players with those 2 GoAT's, it's to point out how their upside(s) have different trajectories.

Forgot that you were in Toronto. Buffalo is a different world, its the best local secret that street parking is free after 5pm (i.e. when everyone goes downtown for bars/entertainment). I would recommend street parking by Coca-Cola Field as it is a straight walk up Washington to get to FNC.

Yep.  Toronto parking is a bitch.  One of the other great things I love about Buffalo!  It'll cost you $20 to $25 in almost any lot near the ACC or Rogers Centre.

Some of the prime lots were going for $50 for the Blue Jays home opener last year.  $50. For parking. :wallbash:

Edited by Derrico

Same here (in Ft Worth), except free starts at 6 pm and is free all weekend.

Yep.  Toronto parking is a bitch.  One of the other great things I love about Buffalo!  It'll cost you $20 to $25 in almost any lot near the ACC or Rogers Centre.

Some of the prime lots were going for $50 for the Blue Jays home opener last year.  $50. For parking. :wallbash:

I frequent Toronto quite often for work and Jays games, and most of the time I park at the hotel and never move my car until I am ready to leave. Walking the city is much better for me than paying out the a$$ for every stop I make. The parking and the advertising of $500k for postage stamp size condos overlooking the Gardner are the two things that get me every time when I'm visiting up north.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.