Sabres Development Camp

Hoss

Some observations

-it wouldn't have mattered if they held the practice at Canalside... Eichel looked like a god out there. Kid can walk on water. In all seriousness: his size was kind of surprising. He looks bigger than those that are even taller than him... He's an imposing figure on the ice and plays so smooth.

-Fasching is another smooth skater. He loses very little momentum when changing directions and does well to go from a backpedal to a full stride forward. Estephan is similar in his skating but he wasn't as solid handling the puck in those transitions. Needed to leave the puck out in front of him and then get back to it when stopping and starting.

-Devante Stephens either played on different ice or is a clumsy skater. Fell three times in the first drill and one more towards the end. Didn't really have any other observation for him. Nobody else was falling.

- Reinhart has no issues in this type of environment. He was easy to find because he always had his head up and moved well. He's forgotten but nothing less than what we hoped.

- Bailey is big and mature. I don't think it's a stretch to think he'll get some time in Buffalo this year. His body looks solid as he skates around the ice. Confident killer.

- Baptiste was a little disappointing if you can be in these settings. In simple puck handling drills he kept trying to dump it around players and through the coach's legs... It worked most of the time but ruined the poin of what they were doing. Others were struggling to handle the puck but weren't trying to do anything fancy. Stick to the drill.

- Florentino is a strong skater. I like him a lot. Martin was similarly strong early in the second group.

- McCabe looks solid. He's not a big guy but he just looks solid and very confident. He shows leadership qualities every time I watch him. Big fan.

I left a little over halfway through the second group.

Great observations guys. I hope to go tomorrow and will be sure to post some observations ;) 

Baptiste sounds a tad cocky, hopefully his good friend Bailey will reign him in before he gets hurt due to it.

A good thing to see is how excited the coaching staff seems, a happy worker, works harder.

The scrimmage is going to rock with ReinhartvEichel out of the gate. Best part their rooming together.

Some observations

-it wouldn't have mattered if they held the practice at Canalside... Eichel looked like a god out there. Kid can walk on water. In all seriousness: his size was kind of surprising. He looks bigger than those that are even taller than him... He's an imposing figure on the ice and plays so smooth.

-Fasching is another smooth skater. He loses very little momentum when changing directions and does well to go from a backpedal to a full stride forward. Estephan is similar in his skating but he wasn't as solid handling the puck in those transitions. Needed to leave the puck out in front of him and then get back to it when stopping and starting.

-Devante Stephens either played on different ice or is a clumsy skater. Fell three times in the first drill and one more towards the end. Didn't really have any other observation for him. Nobody else was falling.

- Reinhart has no issues in this type of environment. He was easy to find because he always had his head up and moved well. He's forgotten but nothing less than what we hoped.

- Bailey is big and mature. I don't think it's a stretch to think he'll get some time in Buffalo this year. His body looks solid as he skates around the ice. Confident killer.

- Baptiste was a little disappointing if you can be in these settings. In simple puck handling drills he kept trying to dump it around players and through the coach's legs... It worked most of the time but ruined the poin of what they were doing. Others were struggling to handle the puck but weren't trying to do anything fancy. Stick to the drill.

- Florentino is a strong skater. I like him a lot. Martin was similarly strong early in the second group.

- McCabe looks solid. He's not a big guy but he just looks solid and very confident. He shows leadership qualities every time I watch him. Big fan.

Great stuff here. Thanks for sharing. 

GO SABRES!!!

Dev Camp Episode II: The Reinhart Strikes Back

Just watched his interview. He is more confident in how he handles the media. He looks bigger and by all accounts I can find, his skating is much improved.  Sammy might surprise some people come October. 

You can catch all the interviews at Sabres.com http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=831821&lang=en&navid=DL|BUF|home

Dev Camp Episode II: The Reinhart Strikes Back

Just watched his interview. He is more confident in how he handles the media. He looks bigger and by all accounts I can find, his skating is much improved.  Sammy might surprise some people come October. 

You can catch all the interviews at Sabres.com http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=831821&lang=en&navid=DL|BUF|home

Agreed. I liked Justin Bailey's interview, too. He really comes across determined and driven. He could surprise in a couple years. Looking forward to see how he does for the Amerks.

He looks bigger than those that are even taller than him... He's an imposing figure on the ice and plays so smooth.

I met Brett Hull in an airport once.  Even before I saw his face I knew he was a professional athlete.  Not a tall guy, but very BIG.  Eichel has the same kind of build.

Some observations

Fasching would be the guy I had my eye on. Did he seem smart with the puck? "Needed to keep the puck in front of him". Does he seem to be aware out there? That's one of my beefs with McCabe from Roch last year. Looked liked he had his head down a lot.

I met Brett Hull in an airport once. Even before I saw his face I knew he was a professional athlete. Not a tall guy, but very BIG. Eichel has the same kind of build.

It's amazing sometimes seeing guys like that. I was in a bar in Buffalo, Casey's on Elmwood, during the early 90s, and in walked Jim Kelly, Marino, Elway, Boomer, Tommy Kramer and a couple other NFL guys. Kelly and Marino and Boomer were pretty big guys. But Elway was WAY bigger than all three of them. His chest was enormous. It really surprised me how much bigger he was in person right next to Kelly and Marino and Boomer.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

go for it :D

I'm going to go pg instead of the R rated hor...never mind, look here is what I got...

giphy.gif

I met Brett Hull in an airport once.  Even before I saw his face I knew he was a professional athlete.  Not a tall guy, but very BIG.  Eichel has the same kind of build.

I saw Nathan Gerbe in Wegmans once and couldn't believe how ripped he was.  

Fasching would be the guy I had my eye on. Did he seem smart with the puck? "Needed to keep the puck in front of him". Does he seem to be aware out there? That's one of my beefs with McCabe from Roch last year. Looked liked he had his head down a lot.

The "needed to keep the puck in front of him" was all about Estephan. Fasching looked solid out there. Very strong strides and explosive when changing directions. Seems to have a natural ability to protect the puck even when it's not threatened. Watching him it doesn't look like he's a guy that'll be quick or really carry the puck up the ice but he can carry it in the offensive zone and tire a defense. Just based on the limited stuff I know about him and what I saw of him today.

I saw Nathan Gerbe in Wegmans once and couldn't believe how ripped he was.  

X-ray goggles out of a comic book?

The "needed to keep the puck in front of him" was all about Estephan. Fasching looked solid out there. Very strong strides and explosive when changing directions. Seems to have a natural ability to protect the puck even when it's not threatened. Watching him it doesn't look like he's a guy that'll be quick or really carry the puck up the ice but he can carry it in the offensive zone and tire a defense. Just based on the limited stuff I know about him and what I saw of him today.

I hope even you can protect the puck when it's not threatened.  Seems like that would be when it is easiest.   :D

I appreciate the insight. I'd like to watch him play with my own eyes. I like to see what a guy does outside of the play. Does he hustle to the bench? Does he need to look around and find guidance? I'm far from expert but I have a nose for BS. Envious of you guys that get to go watch.

Just grabbed a pair of tickets for my brother and I to see the scrimmage. Somehow on the ticket search suite tickets popped up so I jumped all over that. Obviously the amenities won't come with it but I've never sat in a suite before so it should be a cool experience.

That's cool. Um, is the joke on me? Your name TheDominator, Dom in your avatar and you have 39 posts? Please do not respond to this or anything else. Retire and come back with a new name and let us know what it is!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.