Sabres Development Camp

Hoss

Does anyone have any idea what "on-ice testing" means? Thursday is the only day I can get there and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it.

It's all the skating around the cones and stuff. It's usually all timed by monitors. Fastest 10 yards, weaving through cones, etc. Usually pretty boring lol.

BTW Leon Draisaitl skates around McDavid in these highlights to score a goal... 

It's all the skating around the cones and stuff. It's usually all timed by monitors. Fastest 10 yards, weaving through cones, etc. Usually pretty boring lol.

Reinhart's skating would be worth watching.

Just pin your hopes to the thought of both of them ending up like their heroes/role models. McDavid can be like Crosby and be the best player in the game and Eichel can be like Toews and lead his team to a dynasty of multiple cup victories. Crosby may be the better player in a vacuum but I'd rather has Toews based on their careers so far.

I wonder where Crosby would be right now if he had a Duncan Keith on his team.

BTW Leon Draisaitl skates around McDavid in these highlights to score a goal... 

And McDavid immediately turned around, stripped Leon D., and scored one.

The kid's special, no doubt. But that scrimmage looked like something closer to an all-star game than an actual NHL game.

And McDavid immediately turned around, stripped Leon D., and scored one.

The kid's special, no doubt. But that scrimmage looked like something closer to an all-star game than an actual NHL game.

I sincerely hope the Sabres' prospect play with a little more, determination, that what the Oiler's prospects just did.

The one thing you should notice about that video is McDavid never once has a body on him. Wait til a smooth skating 210lb defender is leaning on him. 

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=831857

Yeah I noticed that, good point.   And either the goalies were severely out of position or he just makes them look foolish.    However it's worth noting that he's creating that separation from the defender using his quickness, so there's that.   I don't think a hulking defenseman will be able to keep up with him.    Eichel is more powerful, but McDavid has that explosive quickness, change of direction we haven't seen by any player on the ice ever in the history of the game.   

I sincerely hope the Sabres' prospect play with a little more, determination, that what the Oiler's prospects just did.

I think they will.  Although Girgs isn't there this year.  I remember him laying out Reinhart in the first period last year.  Welcome to professional hockey kid.

Are the Sabres doing the detroit prospect tournament thingy?  i heard they might do something else?

Yeah I noticed that, good point.   And either the goalies were severely out of position or he just makes them look foolish.    However it's worth noting that he's creating that separation from the defender using his quickness, so there's that.   I don't think a hulking defenseman will be able to keep up with him.    Eichel is more powerful, but McDavid has that explosive quickness, change of direction we haven't seen by any player on the ice ever in the history of the game.   

That seems a little over the top. Am I missing the sarcasm?

That seems a little over the top. Am I missing the sarcasm?

No.  I don't believe there is any to miss. We like think our shiny new toy is better than Edmonton's but it isn't, its simply different.  McDavid's ability to find another gear and maintain speed laterally and in traffic is unique.  Jack's gift is in his head and chest.  

Just pin your hopes to the thought of both of them ending up like their heroes/role models. McDavid can be like Crosby and be the best player in the game and Eichel can be like Toews and lead his team to a dynasty of multiple cup victories. Crosby may be the better player in a vacuum but I'd rather has Toews based on their careers so far.

OK, but what if it's more like Gretzky vs Toews?

Am I the only one who would be disappointed if Eichel is like Toews? Being a Selke-level two-way player is great and all, but if he's only producing 65-70 points of offense regularly I'll be pretty let down. I'm expecting a PPG player once he hits his stride (I readily acknowledge his defense may never hit Toews level).

Am I the only one who would be disappointed if Eichel is like Toews? Being a Selke-level two-way player is great and all, but if he's only producing 65-70 points of offense regularly I'll be pretty let down. I'm expecting a PPG player once he hits his stride (I readily acknowledge his defense may never hit Toews level).

Hopefully the league will make it so that he can more likely be a PPG player, yeah? As it stands, those PPG guys are becoming a rarer and rarer species.

Went to session today. Could only stay to see the "non-Eichel" group....

- I'm guessing somewhere between 750-1000 people in attendance.

-  Second day in a row, no Hurley.  

- Also, no Carrier.

- For the second year in a row, I have been impressed by Willman.  I know he did very little in his freshman year at Brown, but he is very smooth on his skates and has serious skills.  Very interested to see if his play improves a lot this college season.

- I saw references elsewhere that Reinhart "looks bigger".  Not sure how anyone can tell this by looking at a player wearing equipment.  LOL

- Reinhart's skating appears to be better, but it is only drills, and I am guessing.  Very hard to tell I would think unless you have a trained eye.

- I like Fasching's skating.  During a drill where skating direction was changing(as in change of puck posession/transition), he seemed very smooth on his skates for a big man.

- One more Reinhart note.  Noticed that he was one of two players moving the nets at the beginning of the ice being resurfaced.  Nice to see that he is not a primadonna.

- Can't say anyone else stood out.

No.  I don't believe there is any to miss. We like think our shiny new toy is better than Edmonton's but it isn't, its simply different.  McDavid's ability to find another gear and maintain speed laterally and in traffic is unique.  Jack's gift is in his head and chest.  

McDavid is obviously a better talent than Eichel, but it is a little over the top.

There's been some incredible skaters in the NHL over the last 100 years. Savard, Coffey, Bure, Hull, Perreault, Lafleur, etc. 

Am I the only one who would be disappointed if Eichel is like Toews? Being a Selke-level two-way player is great and all, 

tumblr_lp2pfjY08o1qjcv3k.gif

We alraidy have won.  Eet ees vaaary nice-uh.

oreilly-sabres-trade.jpg

- One more Reinhart note.  Noticed that he was one of two players moving the nets at the beginning of the ice being resurfaced.  Nice to see that he is not a primadonna.

Hey Samson:

03c8197936a2243685a54536366f0553.jpg

I thought it was hilarious.  And the trick to keeping the post count would be to delete an old post each time he makes a new one.  That way, he could be stuck at 39 forever.  I don't know if it works with the software here, but I remember one person doing it at another board to forever stay at 6969 posts.

Glad you got it!

Oh man, sorry, I totally missed that connection. It looked like you were calling him out for calling himself the Dominator or something weird. My bad.

No sweat. It was poorly worded on my part trying to beat the clock before post 40 showed up!

Haha it somehow went over my head too, but I was aware something was going over my head. Beer wouldn't just be an ass for no reason

Oh my. Thanks but I'm not so sure about that :beer:

Did we not have anyone down there for the second session today?

On the Buffalo News website, they have a photo gallery from day two. In the one picture, Jonas Johansson is drinking Gatorade at the bench. The caption reads "Jonas Johansson makes a save during day two of Sabres' Development Camp." It made me chuckle a little.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.