Free Agent Frenzy 2015

spndnchz

Yep. I would've taken the money too, but he chose not too and that's his choice. I'd rather not have him at all then to have him signed for longer than 3 years though so I'm just happy Murray was willing to walk away.

We definitely have a hole of LHD and a glut of bottom 6 forwards but the problem is that I don't think packaging up our overflow players would get us the piece(s) we need and I'm afraid Murray would have to add other picks and prospects that we don't want to see get moved out the door to get what he needs.

He took the same amount of money for ONE LESS year. He may have wanted to come to Buffalo, but it could not turn down the 5 mil.

Never mind - saw the change

Edited by Sabresince70

Pysyk was on Hockey Hotline this AM and mentioned that he played a majority of the season on the Left Side in Rochester and is comfortable with it now

It's not so much about the side he plays as much as what hand he is. Different coaches will employ defenders in different ways. Some think it's important to have the stick out in open ice, so you'd play a right handed player on the left side. Others want their players with the stick along the boards to help cycle the puck and make it easier to keep the puck in along the boards, so in that case you'd put a right handed player on the right side. 

I really hope there is no trade. Just see what this team has this year and plan B starts again next Summer. No reason to rush and get rid of future pieces right now.

I think any trade would be along the lines of O'Reilly/Kane--get a young player in or about to be in his prime who can be part of the future. Doubt we trade for a Rivet type.

Yep. I would've taken the money too, but he chose not too and that's his choice. I'd rather not have him at all then to have him signed for longer than 3 years though so I'm just happy Murray was willing to walk away.

We definitely have a hole of LHD and a glut of bottom 6 forwards but the problem is that I don't think packaging up our overflow players would get us the piece(s) we need and I'm afraid Murray would have to add other picks and prospects that we don't want to see get moved out the door to get what he needs.

I agree, I don't want to see Murray moving any more prospects for the time being in this situation. The bold moves he has made so far have come with some criticism saying he overpaid which I feel is valid to an extent. I'd like to see if Murray is capable of pulling a Darcy-esque trade now where he's able to pull of some GM magic.

Given the situation, I simply can't see this team going into the season with all the forwards we have. I think McGinn & Foligno share the same role and I can't envision a role for Larsson on this team anymore. He was upset with the 4th line minutes last year and shined when he was given a chance at the end of the season but now with the new additions coming in (Kane, ROR, Eichel, Reinhardt) I don't see him carving out a spot on this team. Does anyone else think Larsson will get moved?

What about trading Legwand to a cash strapped team and eating his entire salary if we can get a good defensive return? Is that legal?

I think any trade would be along the lines of O'Reilly/Kane--get a young player in or about to be in his prime who can be part of the future. Doubt we trade for a Rivet type.

See I think it'll be a guy inbetween those descriptions. I don't think we have the fire-power to trade for a younger guy in his prime nor do I think Murray really wants Rivet 2.0 to come in. 

Edited by WildCard

I agree, I don't want to see Murray moving any more prospects for the time being in this situation. The bold moves he has made so far have come with some criticism saying he overpaid which I feel is valid to an extent. I'd like to see if Murray is capable of pulling a Darcy-esque trade now where he's able to pull of some GM magic.

Given the situation, I simply can't see this team going into the season with all the forwards we have. I think McGinn & Foligno share the same role and I can't envision a role for Larsson on this team anymore. He was upset with the 4th line minutes last year and shined when he was given a chance at the end of the season but now with the new additions coming in (Kane, ROR, Eichel, Reinhardt) I don't see him carving out a spot on this team. Does anyone else think Larsson will get moved?

What about trading Legwand to a cash strapped team and eating his entire salary if we can get a good defensive return? Is that legal?

I think Murray got good value on several deals (Miller and Ott, and Moulson are decent examples). Seems like he's capable of selling at a decent to good price because he doesn't care who is buying and on the buying front (Kane, Lehner, O'Reilly) he's more worried about getting his man than what the price is and since he wants his guy (instead of a similar player) he pays what he needs to.

As for Legwand, the most salary we can retain (on him or anyone) is 50%. I think if McCormick recovers then Legwand goes on waivers and down to Rochester. If McCormick isn't cleared to play by training camp then Legwand probably makes the roster. Larsson is versatile, cheap, and useful so I'd like to keep him but I don't see him anywhere near our top 6 unless we suffer a rash of injuries.

Edited by Drunkard

Pysyk was on Hockey Hotline this AM and mentioned that he played a majority of the season on the Left Side in Rochester and is comfortable with it now

It's not so much about the side he plays as much as what hand he is. Different coaches will employ defenders in different ways. Some think it's important to have the stick out in open ice, so you'd play a right handed player on the left side. Others want their players with the stick along the boards to help cycle the puck and make it easier to keep the puck in along the boards, so in that case you'd put a right handed player on the right side. 

I think it's generally the case that d-men play on the side of their handedness. No? Seems like when there's a LH guy on the RD side, or vice versa, it's an uncommon exception to the rule.

In any case, it seems to me that the team might be heading in that direction -- asking a guy to play a side other than the one he would ordinarily play.

Didn't someone do this quite effectively for ... the Rangers (?) ... last season?

I really hope there is no trade. Just see what this team has this year and plan B starts again next Summer. No reason to rush and get rid of future pieces right now.

But trading future pieces for other future pieces isn't really a bad thing, which is what GMTM has done. I'd love to see Larsson or Foligno moved for defense

I think it's generally the case that d-men play on the side of their handedness. No? Seems like when there's a LH guy on the RD side, or vice versa, it's an uncommon exception to the rule.

In any case, it seems to me that the team might be heading in that direction -- asking a guy to play a side other than the one he would ordinarily play.

Didn't someone do this quite effectively for ... the Rangers (?) ... last season?

Because right handed shooting defenseman are at such a premium, a lot of LHD play the right side. It's less common for RHD to play the left side.

this just hit the twitter. from the guy behind Fourth Period. i found the indication re: likely timing/activity to be of interest. (p.s. he was responding to an inquiry on what might become of bickell and versteeg.)

GMs essentially gone for summer. Think we're looking at a training camp deal, can't speculate on what team(s)

Edited by That Aud Smell

I don't see how Murray doesn't make a trade given the current state of the composition of the forwards in the line-up. In the bottom 6 they have the following players competing for a limited amount of roster spots:  McGinn, Foligno, Desluariers, Larsson, Legwand, & McCormick. I just don't see all these players on the team by the time the season starts as some of them will inevitably have to be sitting on the sidelines each night. 

Can probably add Gionta and Reinhart to that list as well. I'd like to see them deal Foligno or Larsson for a similarly aged D.

Edited by Lanny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.