Free Agent Frenzy 2015

spndnchz

I have zero interest in Oduya for a 4th year. I'd rather bump his AAV to $7 million than give him that 4th year.

I would pass at $7MM x 3 years.  In addition to potential negative effects on team chemistry, the Sabres would look like saps.

Sabres=Most Money

Stars=Best Chance to Win Sooner

My concern with a fourth year would be that is the first year after Eichel's and Reinhart's ELCs are up

Um guys, the Stars aren't all that.  They've dropped like a stone the last year or so.  Acquiring Sharp, Niemi and perhaps Oduya would pull them back into "meh" shape.  Their back end is a mess.

Would you give him a 4th year at $5m?

no.  i see Oduya night in and night out.  He is not a true top four.  He takes dumb penalties, disappears for stretches of the season and makes atrocious decisions with the puck when he is gassed at the end of a shift.  I get that he is better than Weber, but he is not much better than McCabe and on par with Pysik. 

or maybe 12m for 3 years is.  Call it a penalty for delaying.  If he doesn't want to be here, then I don't want him here.

Why say that?  He delayed because he wanted to stay with Chicago and gave them a chance to re-sign him. He's now ready to move on.

no.  i see Oduya night in and night out.  He is not a true top four.  He takes dumb penalties, disappears for stretches of the season and makes atrocious decisions with the puck when he is gassed at the end of a shift.  I get that he is better than Weber, but he is not much better than McCabe and on par with Pysik. 

I agree with this assessment. 

no. i see Oduya night in and night out. He is not a true top four. He takes dumb penalties, disappears for stretches of the season and makes atrocious decisions with the puck when he is gassed at the end of a shift. I get that he is better than Weber, but he is not much better than McCabe and on par with Pysik.

For somebody who isn't a true top-4, he sure played a lot of minutes for the team that won the Cup. Look, I get more is being made of him due to a thin UFA class and our need for LHD, but don't undersell him either--he's absolutely a top-4 Dman.

Um guys, the Stars aren't all that.  They've dropped like a stone the last year or so.  Acquiring Sharp, Niemi and perhaps Oduya would pull them back into "meh" shape.  Their back end is a mess.

I think the Stars are all that. Their defense needs work obviously, but Oduya would help address that. They also have a few stellar young D prospects who could make the jump sooner rather than later. But more importantly (to me), they have a star studded offense that is even more star studded with the addition of Sharp.. not to mention they'll have Nichushkin back next year after playing only 8 games this season due to injury. That is one hell of a Top 6 group. I think they are a playoff team.

That being said, I'm not sure that offering a "better chance to win sooner" necessarily matters to Oduya. He has already won two cups, and let's face it -- nothing is going to compare with the dynasty-esque team he just departed from. Take the money and run.

For somebody who isn't a true top-4, he sure played a lot of minutes for the team that won the Cup. Look, I get more is being made of him due to a thin UFA class and our need for LHD, but don't undersell him either--he's absolutely a top-4 Dman.

He really isn't.  He ate minutes because Q hates rookies or first years and Rozival got hurt.  The Hawks had better options on the farm with some of the young guys but Q does not like youngins.  He contributes nothing on the powerplay and gets run over by beefier wingers.  Yes he logged time, but don't confuse activity with accomplishment.

He really isn't.  He ate minutes because Q hates rookies or first years and Rozival got hurt.  The Hawks had better options on the farm with some of the young guys but Q does not like youngins.  He contributes nothing on the powerplay and gets run over by beefier wingers.  Yes he logged time, but don't confuse activity with accomplishment.

This is surprising.  My buddy is a huge Hawks fan and he talked him up when we spoke last night.  Said he logged big minutes and played well in the playoffs and that was using only one good arm as he tore up his elbow.  Said he's tough as nails.

This is surprising.  My buddy is a huge Hawks fan and he talked him up when we spoke last night.  Said he logged big minutes and played well in the playoffs and that was using only one good arm as he tore up his elbow.  Said he's tough as nails.

No doubt a valiant effort.  But there were trade rumors during the season because he got into Q's doghouse for disappearing ala Bickell for stretches.  I would welcome him to shore up our D but I think the expectations need to be ratcheted down a notch and I wouldn't risk future cap problems.  He was largely a product of the system.  

Would you give him a 4th year at $5m?

No.  $5.5MM x 3 years is my limit.

I don't see how you could possibly say this about 2 guys who haven't had more than a cup of coffee in the NHL.

No doubt a valiant effort.  But there were trade rumors during the season because he got into Q's doghouse for disappearing ala Bickell for stretches.  I would welcome him to shore up our D but I think the expectations need to be ratcheted down a notch and I wouldn't risk future cap problems.  He was largely a product of the system.  

Now this I agree with.

i don't know enough to make a fact-based argument, but the idea that a guy who actually played top-4 minutes on a cup-winning team is a borderline-garbage NHL d-man is ... tough to accept.

Pretty much. He was pretty clearly the Hawks' 4th best Dman...but the 4th best on a Cup winner is nothing to sneeze at.

Alright. alright.  Advanced stats time.  Head on over to the player usage charts.  Select Chicago.  Examine the past three seasons.

Along with Harjljjljmasssson, Oduya played the toughest D minutes on the team and his Corsi On was good.  They've both been playing in a top four shutdown role since 2012: three full seasons like this (two of which won the Cup).

Objectively, he plays hard shut down minutes on about as top of team as there is, and he does it well.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

No. $5.5MM x 3 years is my limit.

Alright, we're pretty much on the same page. The reason I'm willing to go higher on the AAV is because I don't think we have a single LHD who can play top-4 minutes on a good team. I don't want a situation where we're counting on McCabe to be ready or Colaiacovo to be healthy. As long as it's only a 3 year deal, we can afford to shell out more without any real cap consequences. Edited by TrueBluePhD

No.  $5.5MM x 3 years is my limit.

I don't see how you could possibly say this about 2 guys who haven't had more than a cup of coffee in the NHL.

Now this I agree with.

Talent wise they are comparable if not more skilled.  That he logs a lot of time is given importance, but his lack of production for all those minutes played is swept under the rug.  He doesn't log much PP time, they use a forward to replace him.  The hawks usually rotate Keith, Seabrooke and Hjarmarlsonn (sic) to kill penalties.  As I said and you concur ratchet down the expectations.  

I'd rather just sign Franson for 1 year. 

Now, I was going to jump at this and proclaim what a slow fatass Franson is, but then that wouldn't very fancystatty of me.  Usage charts show NSH tried to use him in a top four role, but his Corsi On shows that he didn't perform as well as his younger teammates- Ellis and Sekholm just played better in the same role (not to mention Weber and Josi).  If I remember right, he eventually gets demoted to a 6/7.

@BNHarrington: According to @TimWharnsby of CBC, #Sabres have signed Mark Pysyk to a two-year deal worth $2.25M. He was an RFA and made $810k last year.

@TimWharnsby: The deals for Oscar Lindberg #NYR + Mark Pysyk #Sabres

PYSYK

2015-16 $1M

2016-17 $1.25M

LINDBERG

2015-16 $600,000

2016-17 $700,000

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.