Free Agent Frenzy 2015

spndnchz

I agree. Hell, I think the Sabres could realistically make the playoffs if the D plays better than expected. I don't think we land Oduya though.

Yeah, I get the feeling if Oduya wanted to be in Buffalo he would have signed already.  As an older player, he may prefer a team that is closer to winning a Cup right now.

Yeah, I get the feeling if Oduya wanted to be in Buffalo he would have signed already. As an older player, he may prefer a team that is closer to winning a Cup right now.

He already has a Cup. I think he doesn't like the idea of being placed in a teaching role, or, perhaps worse, he knows Buffalo needs veteran D and is holding them over the barrel for it.

I understand he's making a major life decision, uprooting his family and everything, and it takes time, but I really don't want to sign a player who really doesn't want to be here. We've seen that play out in the past.

You mean like Jim Kelly and the Bills? ;)

Oduya has the same agent as Evander Kane and O'Reilly and Legwand.  Hmmm...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTHS-CORNER/Oduya-Want-A-Left-D/6/69927

Pretty good writeup by Garth.  Thanks.

My 2 cents:  I think Oduya is a solid player, but no one should think we're talking about an all-star here.  He'd be a good addition to the Sabres' top 4.  However, he'll be 34 when the season starts, so I wouldn't want to give him more than a 3-year contract.

Pretty good writeup by Garth. Thanks.

My 2 cents: I think Oduya is a solid player, but no one should think we're talking about an all-star here. He'd be a good addition to the Sabres' top 4. However, he'll be 34 when the season starts, so I wouldn't want to give him more than a 3-year contract.

I agree completely.

You mean like Jim Kelly and the Bills? ;)

I think Jim Kelly's decision was a result of immaturity. He just needed to grow up and become more open-minded. But for a veteran in the later half of career, he knows what he wants. I don't want to twist his arm and he comes here and basically checks out effort-wise like some older vets often do. Hoff comes to mind. He didn't want to be part of the growing process, so he checked out.

My 2 cents:  I think Oduya is a solid player, but no one should think we're talking about an all-star here.  He'd be a good addition to the Sabres' top 4.  However, he'll be 34 when the season starts, so I wouldn't want to give him more than a 3-year contract.

I think that is accurate.

Don't ask him to skate first pair, but if he is chewing up big minutes in the bottom pairings that just might give this team a fighting chance.

I think Jim Kelly's decision was a result of immaturity. He just needed to grow up and become more open-minded. But for a veteran in the later half of career, he knows what he wants. I don't want to twist his arm and he comes here and basically checks out effort-wise like some older vets often do. Hoff comes to mind. He didn't want to be part of the growing process, so he checked out.

In Ehrhoff's defense, when he signed up there was no growing process, no rebuild--it was a team adding to make a deep playoff run.

I agree as well.  Oduya is a solid player who has played big minutes in key situations over the past few years.  But, he isn't the sort of player other teams game plan around and he is on the downside of his career.  I think the push to sign him is very much about avoiding having to dress three young defensemen (McCabe, Pysyk, Risto).  He can eat some minutes for a couple of years as those guys gain experience (and hopefully help the Sabres win a few games in the process).

I think we should be talking about Oduya as a "bottom 4" instead of a "top 4" going forward. He can slide into the second pairing for us and do find for two or three years. I hope we land him for that role, but he's probably best as a bottom-pairing Dman now and going forward.

I hope fans don't expect too much him because all he is is a solid middle-pair guy.

I would project him being paired with Bogo in the shutdown role to start the season.

Risto and Gorges are the second pair, Pysyk and Weber number three. Colaiacovo is the extra guy.

Pysyk eventually bumps Oduya and McCabe bumps Weber.

In Ehrhoff's defense, when he signed up there was no growing process, no rebuild--it was a team adding to make a deep playoff run.

I agree with that. I guess my point is that if you try to coerce (either with money or other promises) a player into a particular situation they honestly don't want to be in, it's not likely to work out for the best.

I think it's clear GMTM has offered Odouya very good money and security. The Hawks don't want him back, yet he has still not signed with the Sabres. I think it's time to move on.

He already has a Cup. I think he doesn't like the idea of being placed in a teaching role, or, perhaps worse, he knows Buffalo needs veteran D and is holding them over the barrel for it.

Two cups.  In his shoes, I'd take the money.  I really think that most would.  His window's closing quickly, so why not set yourself up financially as much as possible?

Two cups. In his shoes, I'd take the money. I really think that most would. His window's closing quickly, so why not set yourself up financially as much as possible?

He could be just as set up financially as he is satisfied by those two Cups. I'd take the money too, but I also haven't made $10 mil+ in my career.

He could be just as set up financially as he is satisfied by those two Cups. I'd take the money too, but I also haven't made $10 mil+ in my career.

It might be tough to say, "I'm going to sign with team X with the realization that I'll probably never win another cup." That may be in the cards anyway for him, but that's a big decision.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.