UFA & Trade - Dmen

IvanPutski

The Habs have the Sabres 2016 2nd from the Gorges trade.

Oh wait - they have the Minny pick don't they?

According to this, http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2016/ Montreal has our 2nd round pick next year (Gorges) but we have three picks in the 3rd round.  Not bad.  We're probably done having multiple picks in the 1st round for a while.

Edit: Sabres also have Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 2017 from the Chris Stewart trade.

Edited by Robviously

According to this, http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2016/ Montreal has our 2nd round pick next year (Gorges) but we have three picks in the 3rd round.  Not bad.  We're probably done having multiple picks in the 1st round for a while.

Edit: Sabres also have Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 2017 from the Chris Stewart trade.

The Sabres got Minny's 2016 2nd in the Moulson/McCormick trade.  That is indeed the one sent to the Habs.

I would have to think with Bylsma behind bench that Martin is going to be a strong consideration.  He is someone Disco Dan knows and trusts from his years in Pitt.

Especially when it comes to working with younger players, Bylsma knows what he's getting in Martin.

Agreed.

He is 34. So could we get him for 2 years at 5-5.5mil? With the idea of trading him to a contender. Or maybe convince him to join us longer term 4 years at 4 million?

Sign Oduya, meet Oilers in the Finals and win next year. That'd be just absurdly awesome and amazing!

Eichel yelling at McDavid, "Who's number 2 now!!"

I think you would need to add a "bitch!" to the end of that sentence. Which is a reason a like Jack, kids got fire.

Blysma mentioned on GR this AM he would not be adverse to using RHD on the left side

I think we might see:

Gorges - Risto

McCabe - Bogo

Weber - Pysyk

With the addition of the best LH or RH defender they can get their hands on.

I know everyone is leaning towards Murray acquiring a D-man through Free Agency but what about the prospect of a trade? Currently we have a glut of forwards and the players I see as expendable are Foligno, McGinn, Legwand, McCormick, Larsson, Hodgson (assuming he's not bought out in the next 8 hours which I find unlikely) and the stockpile of 3rd round picks next year. I don't follow the league closely enough to have any specific L shot D men on my wishlist but I think it's a good possibility we see another trade.

Pysyk is going to start the year in the left side in the top-4. Book it. I've never been so convinced of anything without having any actual information.

I see him on the 3rd pairing in a lot of fan projections.  I think he's already show the ability to play on the second pairing as a regular... like 2 seasons ago.

I know everyone is leaning towards Murray acquiring a D-man through Free Agency but what about the prospect of a trade? Currently we have a glut of forwards and the players I see as expendable are Foligno, McGinn, Legwand, McCormick, Larsson, Hodgson (assuming he's not bought out in the next 8 hours which I find unlikely) and the stockpile of 3rd round picks next year. I don't follow the league closely enough to have any specific L shot D men on my wishlist but I think it's a good possibility we see another trade.

It may be easier to sign either Martin or Oduya than trading for someone..

I am sure it is purely based on analytics, but over the course of their draft coverage, Matthew Coller was talking up a UFA defenseman from San Jose by the name of Matt Irwin. Honestly can't say I have ever heard of him.

Anyone have thoughts on Irwin?

I am sure it is purely based on analytics, but over the course of their draft coverage, Matthew Coller was talking up a UFA defenseman from San Jose by the name of Matt Irwin. Honestly can't say I have ever heard of him.

Anyone have thoughts on Irwin?

I was just going to ask the same thing.

By the way, during his interview Bylsma also stated that Paul Martin prefers and is more comfortable on teh right side despite being a left handed shot so I guess that eliminates him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.